Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nothing dramatic, but a subtle improvement in definition. I think I can hear slightly more detail that was previously lost in the mix. Things like the vocalists intake of breath, fingernails catching on guitar strings etc., audible clues that make the music more real. This change was part of a package of power related upgrades - dedicated consumer unit, radial, Naim Powerlines. Overall, I'm very pleased with the end result.
    DaveBk...
    Transporter, Naim DAC, Naim NAC 252/SuperCap/NAP300, Naim Ovator S-600's

improvements.............

DaveBk, well how is the "new improved" version of your Transporter sounding after a week or so of your mods?.
    i take it your warranty has gone after this intrusion?......
    i bet you're not so keen to "upgrade" your nice black NAIM boxes!.
    one of my most noticeable upgrades has been to get a dedicated ac spur installed by a competent electrician,thereby eliminating any nasties at source.
    i admire your technical abilities but IMHO Sean's Ttransporter a'la mode will satisfy my listening requirements for the forseeable future.

regards

dennis

It's still sounding good - I've not had much time this week to do any extended listening, but so far no negative consequences. I've most certainly blown the warranty, but I think this was only 12 months so it's expired anyway. I did take great care to avoid any damage to the case - everything uses the original mounting points so no new holes. I can therefore return the original SMPS and there would be no sign of the changes.

I too have a dedicated spur run off a dedicated consumer unit - my decision to replace the SMPS was largely due to the desire to have as clean a supply as possible for the Naim kit. And you're right - absolutely no chance of me messing around with the power supplies on those!
    DaveBk...
    Transporter, Naim DAC, Naim NAC 252/SuperCap/NAP300, Naim Ovator S-600's

Dave,

- Where did you find that power supply?
    - Manufacturer?
    - Part number?

Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Shortly stumbled across a nicely done site with several standard integrated circuits and explanations:
    http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te...ive_index.html
    There is no magic in doing a 5V supply with even 3A. Just have a looky under "Power Supply" Of cause there are modern LM or LT108X types but for some Cent you may like to play.
    Filtering is another topic but i think one or two in here will be interested so i share this finding in here.
    Last edited by Wombat; 2011-08-19 at 17:45.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers