Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Pairing Hard Disks

Hi
    I have a QNAP NAS with a 400GB hard drive which stores my FLAC files.
    I back this up to a 400Gb hard drive on my PC.

Now that I'm running out of space I wonder what the best / easiest option is.

I've thought the obvious thing to do would be to replace the NAS drive with a larger 750GB one (it has space for two drives so would install the new one, then copy all of the music files from the 400 to the 700).
    Then I could take the original 400GB drive from the NAS and put this in the PC to provide 2 x 400Gb drives.

When it then came to backing up I assume I would need to configure these somehow to appear as one drive.

Has anyone done this / is there anything I need to consider ?

Thanks

Unless you have a hardware RAID controller that you can use to make those two 400GB disks into either a redundant 400GB mirror set, a non-redundant 800GB striped set, or an 800GB JBOD set, you're going to have to make them dynamic disks in Windows, and use the software RAID implementation there...which I don't think I would recommend. To get enough size to back up that 750GB drive in the NAS, you'll need either the stripe or the JBOD option.

Depending on your computer, you may have a hard drive controller chipset that can handle RAID/JBOD already - any Intel chipset with an "R" at the end can, like ICH7R, ICH8R, etc.

Can you give us some more specifics on what kind of PC you've got, what SATA/PATA chipset you have?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    A Touch + Cambridge DAC Magic has replaced my venerable SB3. May it rest in peace.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp

Motherboard is an Asus M2N32-SLI and the manual talks about support for JBOD and RAID 0 to 5.

Silicon Image Sil3132 and NVIDIA nForce 590SLi Southbridge RAID controllers.

My two 400gb disks aren't from the same manufacturer though (but both are Sata 2 I think).

Might take the easy way out and just get a 1tb external drive (Wester Digital ?).

Thanks

It's not because your motherboard supports those kinds of RAID that it can change "without loss of data" between them.