Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Triode
    • Apr 2005

Announce: BBCiPlayer Plugin (UK only)

There have been a couple of other threads here about the BBC making higher quality MP3 listen again streams available in the uk.

The attached plugin makes these available for playback on a Squeezebox2 or later player.

The added audio quality really makes a difference to the listen again experience. It is also easier to install than AlienBBC as it only requires a plugin to be installed - there is no need to install other software.

The plugin requires SqueezeCenter 7.2.1, or the latest 7.3 beta.

Please provide feedback here as to the usefulness of iPlayer listen again on the squeezebox - I would really like to see the BBC and Logitech supporting Listen again on the Squeezebox and so am posting this as a demonstration of what may be possible.
    Last edited by Triode; 2010-04-21, 19:54. Reason: See latest entry for version 0.9 of this plugin
  • Richie
    • Apr 2005

I've just installed this. I've only been listening for a few minutes but it does sound good.

Thanks

Richard

Comment

• mcknej01
      • Sep 2005

Nice One

Excellent, I will look at how to get this working with the Thecus N5200 NAS installation.

Comment

• Hercules
        • Nov 2006

I'm not that familiar with plugins but have worked out how to install it (i.e. unzip - if using Windows - to the "C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Slim\Plugin" folder)

It now shows - and is ticked - on the Plugins tab but I can't work out how to use it! Which option do I use on the web front-end or remote controller (for a Squeezebox)?

I have restarted SqueezeCenter to see if that made it pop up anywhere but I haven't yet found it!

Comment

• Richie
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Hercules
          I'm not that familiar with plugins but have worked out how to install it (i.e. unzip - if using Windows - to the "C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Slim\Plugin" folder)

It now shows - and is ticked - on the Plugins tab but I can't work out how to use it! Which option do I use on the web front-end or remote controller (for a Squeezebox)?

I have restarted SqueezeCenter to see if that made it pop up anywhere but I haven't yet found it!
          You should actually install it to

C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins

as this location is meant for user installed plugins. The location you have used is meant for Squeezecenter's built in plugins. (I don't know if getting the location wrong alters how a plugin works.)

Once you have it installed correctly you should find a new menu item under Internet Radio in both the player menus and in the web interface.

Richard

Comment

• Triode
            • Apr 2005

Note - I've just updated the attachement to fix a bug it caused trying to play other streams.

Hercules - this is a 3rd party plugin so it should be unziped to:
            C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins

Comment

• Calodoucas
              • Sep 2006

Fantastic

Works brilliantly.

Is there the possibility of adding BBC Live Streams plus other options like Categories, A to Z, BBC Local Radio and Search?

Great work.

Comment

• Phil Meyer
                • Apr 2005

Announce: BBCiPlayer Plugin (UK only)

>The plugin requires the very latest version of SqueezeCenter 7.2.1 (svn
                >23322 or later which should include the latest nightly here:
                >http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.2/)
                >

Is this supposed to work in SC7.3? I can navigate the BBC iPlayer menu on the player UI, but get the following errors when I try to play anything:

[07:49:05.5160] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1884) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Commands:laylistJumpCommand]: [Can't locate object method "isAudioURL" via package "Plugins::BBCiPlayer::HTTP" at P:/Music/SlimServer/trunk/server/Plugins/BBCiPlayer/HTTP.pm line 159.
                ]
                [07:51:17.0230] Slim::Hardware::IR::executeButton (1081) Error: Subroutine for irCode: [play] mode: [] does not exist!
                [07:51:17.5387] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1884) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Commands:laylistJumpCommand]: [Can't locate object method "isAudioURL" via package "Plugins::BBCiPlayer::HTTP" at P:/Music/SlimServer/trunk/server/Plugins/BBCiPlayer/HTTP.pm line 159.
                ]
                [07:51:57.2823] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271) Error: Select task failed: Can't locate object method "scanData" via package "Slim::Player::Squeezebox2" at P:/Music/SlimServer/trunk/server/Plugins/BBCiPlayer/HTTP.pm line 67.
                [07:52:28.0264] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271) Error: Select task failed: Can't locate object method "scanData" via package "Slim::Player::Squeezebox2" at P:/Music/SlimServer/trunk/server/Plugins/BBCiPlayer/HTTP.pm line 67.

Comment

• SadGamerGeek
                  • Jun 2006

Excellent!

Installed this last night and it works a treat for me - cheers!
                  3x Classic | 1x Touch | 1x Radio | SBS on WHS | iPeng HD & SqueezePad

Comment

• Ramage
                    • May 2006

Problems

BBCiPlayer works OK on Ubuntu Hardy 7.2.1~23323, however, when it is installed I cannot play other mp3, AAC+ radio streams, and get the following error:

Code:
                    [08-09-30 10:48:05.6095] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1887) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Commands::playlistJumpCommand]: [Can't locate object method "isAudioURL" via package "Plugins::BBCiPlayer::HTTP" at /usr/share/squeezecenter/Plugins/BBCiPlayer/HTTP.pm line 159.
                    ]
                    This is also true on windows version 7.2.1 32323

Deselecting the BBCiPlayer plugin and restarting fixes the other streams.

Edit: Previous post #6 indicates a similar bug was fixed, my version of BBCiPlayer downloaded today 30/9 at 0920 (BST)
                    Last edited by Ramage; 2008-09-30, 11:25. Reason: Info on download time
                    P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
                    AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
                    Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
                    Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
                    Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

Comment

• elziko
                      • Jun 2007

Just tried this on SoftSqueeze, I get:

"ERROR: NO ITEMS FOUND IN PLAYLIST"

...for all stations.

I'll try on my hardware players when I get home.

Comment

• kidstypike
                        • Feb 2007

I can't seem to get the plugin to work.

I installed the latest nightly - SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23323 @ Tue Sep 30 02:02:40 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252.

Downloaded and extracted the BBCiPlayer .zip to - C\Program Files\squeezeCenter\server\Plugins.

In the web UI > Settings > Plugins, BBC iPlayer (v0.1) is there, and checked, although there are no 'Settings' to play with.

There is nothing under Internet Radio in the web UI, the Controller, or the SB3 display.

Woud appreciate any help.

kidstypike
                        Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                        Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                        Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                        Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• Ramage
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by kidstypike
                          I can't seem to get the plugin to work.

I installed the latest nightly - SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23323 @ Tue Sep 30 02:02:40 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252.

Downloaded and extracted the BBCiPlayer .zip to - C\Program Files\squeezeCenter\server\Plugins.

In the web UI > Settings > Plugins, BBC iPlayer (v0.1) is there, and checked, although there are no 'Settings' to play with.

There is nothing under Internet Radio in the web UI, the Controller, or the SB3 display.

Woud appreciate any help.

kidstypike
                          Did you do a server restart?
                          P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
                          AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
                          Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
                          Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
                          Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

Comment

• kidstypike
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ramage
                            Did you do a server restart?
                            Yes, many times.

kidstypike
                            Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                            Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                            Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                            Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• MattC
                              • Feb 2006

is this plugin able to make use of the web proxy configured within SqueezeCenter under Advanced/Network/Web Proxy for the actual mp3 stream?

thanks
                              Matt
                              Last edited by MattC; 2008-09-30, 16:58.

Comment

Working...