Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

TS109 spindown findings

Hi,

I have been playing around with drive spindown this weekend:

If I set the spindown time to one hour or less, the drive will spin down (and then spin up again after a while).

If I set the spindown time to more than one hour, the drive will NOT spin down.

I think the spindown counter is the Start_Stop_Count item in the SMART section of the QNAP admin interface (I could be wrong).

Unplugging the network cable from the QNAP will not make it spin down (setting 2 hours), I guess that is because it writes that there is no network to the log every hour or so.

Unplugging the the network cable from my PC will not make the drive to spin down (setting 2 hours), so I guess it's not my PC that is accessing the QNAP.

Turning off SS7 from the SSOTS menu will not make the drive spin down (setting 2 hours), so I quess SS7 is NOT to blaim (I did not reboot after tunring SS off - should I have?).

On a side note: once when the drive had spun down (5 min setting), I started Windows Commander (Explorer) on my PC and that made the drive spin up again.

Now I just need to find out what is causing the spinup, and what is preventing the spindown, perhaps the same process(?) I'll let you know if I get somewhere.. ideas are welcome!
    Last edited by sand; 2008-09-22 at 10:58. Reason: added more info
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Post Some facts about power consumption

Hello,

I also experience problems in spinning-down the HDD on the TS109. I came to the conclusion that (at least in my case, see other posts with details) it seems, at least partly, due to the SB Duett controller and/or squeezecenter 7.2, so I give up for some time and accept the situation.

I was still interested to know if it is worth to continue the fight on this spin-down issue later, so I measured a few power consumptions.
    Quite interesting results.
    Note that the numbers are indicative, I did not wanted to fight the last about the last digits... (this does not change the conclusion)

- PC** doing nothing: 120 Watt
    - PC running game (NFS most wanted): 190 Watt

- Qnap*** TS109 NAS streaming music from HDD with SC7.2: 12 Watt
    - Qnap with HDD spin-down: 7Watt
    - Qnap power brick only : 0.4Watt

- Netgear WiFi 802.11g router: 8Watt (2.5Watt for the bloody transformer based power-brick!!)
    - Zyxel ADSL modem/router: 8Watt (2.5Watt for the bloody transformer based power-brick!!)

- Squeezebox Boom playing music: 8.5Watt
    - Squeezebox Boom OFF: 7.5Watt
    - Squeezebox Classic**** streaming music: 6.5Watt
    - Squeezebox Classic OFF: 5.5Watt

Notes:
    ** AMD Athlon 64 4200+, dual core, 2.2GHz
    ATI Radeon X1950 display card
    ASROCK mainboard
    2GB RAM
    No peripherals (PC only)
    Doing nothing except running Bill's OS

*** Western Digital Pro Green power 500ABPS HDD

**** Note that I am using a different power-brick due to size constraints

My conclusion (reasonably green aware mind's opinion):

1) Do not keep your PC computer turned ON all the time!!! (=do not use it for installing SqueezeCenter).
    Don't use your computer for making BT downloads! It works quite well on the Qnap TS109.

2) Qnap did an impressive job with their TS109. Western Digital as well.

3) No need to loose too much time with the spin-down problem. The power-saving potential is quite limited (at least with the WD green HDD's). Also good HDD's are designed for running 24/24.

4) Replace the old transformer based power supplies, available multiple times in any home, with switching power supplies
    Don't buy products supplied with these old power bricks. The manufacturing cost difference between a switching power supply and a transformer based one is minor (maximum few tenth of $cents). Companies still selling their products with old transformers are giving a poor image about their long term vision.

5) The power consumption of the Squeezeboxes is reasonable when streaming, however when they are turned OFF, they are actually consuming almost the same amount of power... (you can feel it as they are getting hot even when turned OFF). Not very serious, but still some open area for future improvements!

Thank you Gerd, for your data!
    That was some interesting points.

In my case, the system is mainly used on the weekends, only occasionaly during the weeks.

That is why I would really like my drive to spin down on sunday night (and then up again on friday evening..).

I hope we find/get a solution soon!
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Talking Success.. I think..

I now have had my drives spun down for four hours straght, looking good..

I set the spindown time to 1hr (1hrs did not work).
    I disabled smart warning for hot drive.
    I disabled web explorer ifc on the qnap.
    I disabled some more stuff in the qnap admin web ifc, can't remember all..
    I removed drive mappings to the QNAP from my PC (drive would spinup when opening explorer).

They spin down after one hour of idle time. So far so good..
    I will experiment more later, since I think that one hour is too short, I'd prefer 2-4 hours.
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Unhappy ..not quite

This morning the drive was on again.
    The Start_Stop_Count had increased by two..

Below are the log lines from last night:

0490: [08-09-30 02:43:02.5938] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (146) Unable to get players from SN: Timed out waiting for data, retrying in 300 seconds
    0489: [08-09-30 02:17:49.7489] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (146) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out: , retrying in 300 seconds
    Last edited by sand; 2008-09-29 at 23:38.
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Well, not so bad after all.
    I've been trying with the 1hr setting for a couple of days now, and it seems the drive will spin up once during the night then it stays down for the rest of the day.
    I just wonder why it spins up once during the night..
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sand View Post
    Well, not so bad after all.
    I've been trying with the 1hr setting for a couple of days now, and it seems the drive will spin up once during the night then it stays down for the rest of the day.
    I just wonder why it spins up once during the night..
    If you have not changed crontab, it spins up at least at 3 AM for thumbnail generation.
    2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - SSOTS 4.14 - Squeezecenter 7.7.3 - QNAP TS439 Pro (3.6.3) - 4 x 500 GB Hitachi (RAID5)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_hyde View Post
    If you have not changed crontab, it spins up at least at 3 AM for thumbnail generation.
    Oh, that could be it - thanks!!
    How do I edit crontab? Is it already covered somewhere in this forum - do you know?
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sand View Post
    Oh, that could be it - thanks!!
    How do I edit crontab? Is it already covered somewhere in this forum - do you know?
    the config file is located here (on my 409 with Raid 5):

/mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/crontab

but you can change to root (cd /) and then type 'find -name crontab'

then 'vi /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/crontab'

then you could uncomment or delete some lines. You should make a backup of the file before

--> restart crond with '/etc/init.d/crond.sh restart'
    2 x Squeezebox 3 - 1 x Squeezebox Touch - SSOTS 4.14 - Squeezecenter 7.7.3 - QNAP TS439 Pro (3.6.3) - 4 x 500 GB Hitachi (RAID5)

Excellent information, thank you again, mr_hyde!

I didn't dare remove the lines, but at least I changed them to run on wednesday nights only..
    I editded the crontab file and saved & exited (:wq).
    Now, when listing the crontab using the 'crontab -l' command, I still see the onld one. But 'more /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/crontab' will show the edited version, so I hope that is the one used.
    EDIT3: After a reboot I now see the updated crontab with 'crontab -l'

EDIT: I woke up at two tihs morning and the QNAP was up and spinning already. Maybe a reboot will help or maybe there is more to this..

[~] # more /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/crontab
    # m h dom m dow cmd
    0 3 * * 3 /usr/local/sbin/ImR_all -soft /Qmultimedia
    0 5 * * 3 /etc/init.d/ddns_update.sh
    0 4 * * 3 /sbin/hwclock -s
    [~] # /etc/init.d/crond.sh restart
    Stopping periodic command scheduler: crond.
    Starting periodic command scheduler: crond.
    [~] # crontab -l
    # m h dom m dow cmd
    0 3 * * * /usr/local/sbin/ImR_all -soft /Qmultimedia
    0 5 * * * /etc/init.d/ddns_update.sh
    0 4 * * * /sbin/hwclock -s
    [~] # more /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/crontab
    # m h dom m dow cmd
    0 3 * * 3 /usr/local/sbin/ImR_all -soft /Qmultimedia
    0 5 * * 3 /etc/init.d/ddns_update.sh
    0 4 * * 3 /sbin/hwclock -s
    [~] #

EDIT2: Another thing.. switching off the modem & router made the drive spin up, so leave them on too..

EDIT4: By now, the 109 will spin up once at night and then 0-2 times during the day. I have commented out the thumbnail entry and modified times for the clock jobs to sunday afternoons, with only 20 mins apart (when I will probably be listening anyway, so no extra spinup). I'm still not sure what causes the spinups during the day, some could be that we connect a laptop to the router, others I don't know yet..
    Last edited by sand; 2008-10-09 at 23:56. Reason: Changed weekday in crontab and added EDIT lines
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro