Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Which NAS to buy?

This surely must be a FAQ, but I couldn't really find any clear answers through these forums...

All the computers in my house are laptops, so I have nowhere to run SqueezeCentre. I don't care to setup a PC solely to serve my music, I want something cleaner, so I'm looking to do this via one of the NAS devices that are capable of running SqueezeCentre.

So the basic question is, what is the cheapest NAS I can get, with at least 200 GB of storage, that will run SqueezeCentre adequately? I'm looking to get a SqueezeBox Duet, and I would rely on its remote control for music playing (so I want it to perform smoothly). I would only use SqueezeCentre's web UI for essential music library admin tasks. Eventually I could see myself adding a second SqueezeBox receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tim

Just a small editorial, in case anyone from SlimDevices/Logitech reads this: we really need a solution that doesn't involve SqueezeCentre. Either allow direct hookup of USB hard-drives to a SqueezeBox, or allow streaming music using standard file sharing protocols such as WebDEV or SMB, so that no special software on a NAS is needed. It just makes setting up this product way more complicated than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by timmerweb View Post
    This surely must be a FAQ, but I couldn't really find any clear answers through these forums...

All the computers in my house are laptops, so I have nowhere to run SqueezeCentre. I don't care to setup a PC solely to serve my music, I want something cleaner, so I'm looking to do this via one of the NAS devices that are capable of running SqueezeCentre.

So the basic question is, what is the cheapest NAS I can get, with at least 200 GB of storage, that will run SqueezeCentre adequately? I'm looking to get a SqueezeBox Duet, and I would rely on its remote control for music playing (so I want it to perform smoothly). I would only use SqueezeCentre's web UI for essential music library admin tasks. Eventually I could see myself adding a second SqueezeBox receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tim

Just a small editorial, in case anyone from SlimDevices/Logitech reads this: we really need a solution that doesn't involve SqueezeCentre. Either allow direct hookup of USB hard-drives to a SqueezeBox, or allow streaming music using standard file sharing protocols such as WebDEV or SMB, so that no special software on a NAS is needed. It just makes setting up this product way more complicated than it should be.
    Hello Tim and welcome to the Forums and the world of Squeezebox. There are about a thousand choices when it comes to doing an NAS. You can buy one or DIY. For the time being, Logitech doesn't offer direct support for NASs and also doesn't recommend any specific brand.

Personally, I prefer to build my own. For store bought I recommend the Thecus N5200 Pro. For folks going the minimum easy route, I say buy a mini-Mac with the biggest drive one can afford.

In your case with your questions I say DIY. As for the price (Low) that is for you to shop. As to why you say you can't run SC on a laptop, that is just not true (as long as the laptop meets the minimums and isn't from the 1980's I can't see why not).

Both Wal-Mart and the Linux store sell a minimum PC for under $200 that would only need a larger drive for your music to be stored on. And they both run Linux for some real bang for your buck (or load the OS of your choice).
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Hello Tim and welcome to the Forums and the world of Squeezebox. There are about a thousand choices when it comes to doing an NAS. You can buy one or DIY. For the time being, Logitech doesn't offer direct support for NASs and also doesn't recommend any specific brand.

Personally, I prefer to build my own. For store bought I recommend the Thecus N5200 Pro. For folks going the minimum easy route, I say buy a mini-Mac with the biggest drive one can afford.

In your case with your questions I say DIY. As for the price (Low) that is for you to shop. As to why you say you can't run SC on a laptop, that is just not true (as long as the laptop meets the minimums and isn't from the 1980's I can't see why not).

Both Wal-Mart and the Linux store sell a minimum PC for under $200 that would only need a larger drive for your music to be stored on. And they both run Linux for some real bang for your buck (or load the OS of your choice).
    Thanks for the input. I certainly understand the flexibility that going with a PC-based set-up would provide, I've done things like this in the past for file sharing and other things. So even though its well within my skills, I actually do prefer the route of a purposely built appliance like a NAS. Its more compact and clean and focused on what I need, which I like.

I'm looking at the Buffalo Linkstation Live for example, that seems to be quite an affordable box. But how is the performance? Or the D-Link DNS-323 also looks like its at a good price. I'm not tied to any brand, I basically just want something that will perform well and that isn't too expensive, and that is Mac compatible (which seems to eliminate the LinkStation Pro).

After reading some more postings in this forum, its almost like we need a little spreadsheet of various NASs that have proven compatible, and some kind of performance metrics. And no, I don't volunteer to make it.

-Tim

I have a D-Link DNS-323. As a NAS it does the job, but for slim center it's not quite good enough- bit low on RAM, means swapping all the time. CPU isn't too shabby though. Installing slim center is quite a long process.

Not sure about the Line, but also difficult installing slim center on Buffalo Linkstation Pro also.

Installing slim center on Q-Nap is pretty easy (just bougth TS-209 II) Performance wise it's ok, but noticed with two playing the display judders across the screen. Generally slower in web/config than direct computer with slim center, also slow building. But in use with one SB seems fine.

Just a little more data about my situation, I've got about 300 CDs that I'll likely rip in FLAC, plus maybe a couple of thousand of other MP3s. So we're talking 5000ish tracks in total.

Not a particularly huge collection. The LinkStation Live does seem like the most economical choice. While the install does seem quite complex, I'm no stranger to this sort of work so that's not a huge disadvantage for me. My biggest question now is the performance.

There seems to be a lot of positive comments about Synology products, although their selection of models is quite daunting. The 107 and 107e are both very affordable. But would I be better off stepping up to a 107+ or even a 207+?

-Tim

Hi,

I would recommend a DS 107+ for you. Performance are very good and they just released a new firmware (2.0 722) that allow you to install a SqueezeCenter Package supported by Synology directly.
    I'm running it since yesterday and it's working great!!! and it was so easy to install it!! in 10 minutes: downloaded from Syno, Load the Package on my 207+ and run it....
    So go for it!
    Cheers,
    HervÚ
    HervÚ
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SB Duet / 4 SBs radio / Syno DS 211+ FW 4.2/

i was thinking of buying a 107+ but it does not seem to support alac, which is the codec i use.

ReadyNAS Duo

Very happy with it in a setup similar to yours.

Data transfer rates between NAS and wireless laptop are not that great, but both for (wireless) SqueezeBox and (wired) iStar NMT it's brilliant.

Easy to manage, too, with SqueezeCenter a one-click install.