Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dwilliams01 View Post
    I guess that I've never had any of the devices (classic or boom) on a static IP address and not had any issues. Heck, I don't have any static address on my entire network except for the router itself.

What condition/impact is using a static IP address supposed to correct? Everything seems to be working correctly with regular dynamic ones (except for the 7.3 new streaming issue, that is).
    if your stuff works, never worry. dynamic stuff is based on the DHCP protocol, which can have incompatibilites if either side is not on the same page when it comes on the expiration of the assigned address and the need to renew it. which is why as a network administrator IP address conflict alarms are quite common, never mind how common the DHCP protocol is these days.

DHCP also somewhat complicates the job a NAT has to provide when you need reverse connectivity from the outside world to your router. but that is seldom the main issue - it is just the fact that the more devices you have, the greater the likelihood some incompatibility is going to affect your network.

but again, it is nothing you need to worry about unless you experience issues...

I guess that I must be doing something different. I use ssh and someone pointed me to a dns server that my router automatically updates with the current IP address it gets from my isp.

Yes, technically I forward ssh to an ip address but it has only changed once on me in 2 years or so - I guess I just haven't bothered to make it static, even though it isn't "correct". I did have to up my router license because I needed to have more devices on my network than allowed...

So, getting back to the previous issue - would a static ip address really correct this problem? Even though I use dynamic the ip addresses remain constant for very long periods of time so I wouldn't think that it would be at all common to have them change "mid-session", so to speak. Maybe I'm missing something, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Oh that is true, definitely worth a try since with the Boom (unlike with the Duet) one can specify the static address. Good point. Thanks.
    You can use a static IP with the Duet. Just let it connect and when it can't find a DHCP server (takes 15-20 seconds) it fails. Then you can specify a static IP address.
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

I have used SMC, Linksys and Netgear routers that have MAC adrress filtering and allow a static IP address to be associated with the MAC address of a device eventhough DHCP is enabled.

This might be in the wirelesss security settings but you should not necessarily have to install different firmware to achieve this.

Just to complete this thread - my impressions were so favorable that now a second Boom is playing in the household. One is n the gym, the other in the kitchen. They are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Just to complete this thread - my impressions were so favorable that now a second Boom is playing in the household. One is n the gym, the other in the kitchen. They are awesome.
    What did you ever do about your problems? Looks like the thread went off on a tangent.

'Painful' is a good way to describe trying to scroll through long lists with the mini-remote. One remedy is to use a full sized Squeezebox remote, sold by Logitech.

As for the stuttering - I don't use very large playlists much, but perhaps there's some processing overhead when changing tracks that is relative to the size of the playlist. Are you running SqueezeCenter on a fairly low powered system?

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    What did you ever do about your problems? Looks like the thread went off on a tangent.

'Painful' is a good way to describe trying to scroll through long lists with the mini-remote. One remedy is to use a full sized Squeezebox remote, sold by Logitech.

As for the stuttering - I don't use very large playlists much, but perhaps there's some processing overhead when changing tracks that is relative to the size of the playlist. Are you running SqueezeCenter on a fairly low powered system?
    The stutter has not happened again, I shall watch it closely.

As to the scrolling, indeed it is painful, but I now basically just use playlists for the Boom (in the gym), or have it synched with others SB3s (for the Boom in the kitchen, which is a satellite to the adjacent living room main system...