Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More early impressions...

...I continue to love and will get another.

But 2 comments on the "constructive criticism" side...

The little remote is nifty, but browsing through large music collections is painful. Any shortcuts possible?

Am I the only one that observes the occasional "rebuffering" stutter on rare occasions with large playlists and since adding the Sboom to 2 SB3s that are synchronized? It's not wireless signal issues - network test is fine and dandy up to 5 Mbps, and the playlist has only 256k MP3 songs in it - it happens about every 30 minutes briefly at the start of a song, and then recovers by itself...

1) There is a plug-in that let's you quickly scroll to a letter... forget the name, though.

2) Are you running 7.3? I've noticed some issues with that version (and the new streaming). I hadn't really noticed anything with earlier, beta, versions of 7.2 in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    The little remote is nifty, but browsing through large music collections is painful. Any shortcuts possible?
    The plugin dwilliams mentioned is called Custom Browse and it offers an "Artists by letter" menu that gives you an intermediate menu for selecting the first letter of the artist's name.

There is also an open bug report having to do with the scrolling speed. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9485

Am I the only one that observes the occasional "rebuffering" stutter on rare occasions with large playlists and since adding the Sboom to 2 SB3s that are synchronized? It's not wireless signal issues - network test is fine and dandy up to 5 Mbps, and the playlist has only 256k MP3 songs in it - it happens about every 30 minutes briefly at the start of a song, and then recovers by itself...
    I haven't had any issues like that on the Boom. Long time ago I used to get it on my SB2 until I read a suggestion in this forum to set toe SB to a static IP address. Ever since then, I have always assigned static IPs to my slim devices.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

1 Touch | 2 Booms | 2 Radios | 1 Duet | 1 SB2
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.8 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
    ... I have always assigned static IPs to my slim devices.
    Oh that is true, definitely worth a try since with the Boom (unlike with the Duet) one can specify the static address. Good point. Thanks.

Static DHCP can be used to assign SBC and SBR static IPs

Depending on your router, you can assign static IP addresses using DHCP. I was bummed when I first got my duet that I would have to start using DHCP, but then I learned about static DHCP.

It may seem like an oxymoron, but it works quite well. In the router, you list the MAC addresses and assign them IP addresses. The DHCP server will always assign the same IP address to each device.

This makes managing IP addresses very easy.

To gain this functionality on my Linksys WRT-54GS, I had to load some custom firmware which is available for free. It is called DD-WRT and works great.

Check out your router settings or the settings on whatever you are using for a DHCP server and you may be able to do something like this.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    Depending on your router, you can assign static IP addresses using DHCP.
    Yep.. that is how I do it with my router using Tomato firmware. Very easy. Just click the current IP in the list and edit it.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

1 Touch | 2 Booms | 2 Radios | 1 Duet | 1 SB2
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.8 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

at first it does not look as if my router (linksys wrt54gx4) is supported by any open firmware project. rats...

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    at first it does not look as if my router (linksys wrt54gx4) is supported by any open firmware project. rats...
    Pretty sure you can assign static addreses with the firmware that came with the box (or updates if you have updated the firmware), if that was the issue.

I guess that I've never had any of the devices (classic or boom) on a static IP address and not had any issues. Heck, I don't have any static address on my entire network except for the router itself.

What condition/impact is using a static IP address supposed to correct? Everything seems to be working correctly with regular dynamic ones (except for the 7.3 new streaming issue, that is).

If you access your server from outside your network, you need a static address on the server so you can forward those server requests from the router to the server. Some peer-to-peer protocols, such as Bit Torrent, work better with port forwarding set up and require a static IP.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior