Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Toslink question: glass vs. plastic

I apologize in advance if this causes a stir although that is not my intention.

I recently purchased a Behringer DEQ2496 which I would like to hook up in the digital loop of my Transporter. So, obviously, I'm going to need a couple of toslink cables. So I do a search on a few different forums looking for a no-nonsense, not-terribly-expensive-but-good-quality toslink cable recommendation. Lo and behold, there's yet another great debate: plastic vs. glass. I didn't see this one coming but I can't believe I was that foolish. I should have known better in the world of audiophilia...nothing is ever that simple.

I've never had the need for a toslink cable before as I've done all of my digital cabling with coax up until now.

My question: does it really matter for a roughly 3-6 foot run of cable?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Transporter > diyTube modified Dynaco ST-70 amplifier > JM Reynaud Euterpe speakers

Quote Originally Posted by joeriz View Post
    My question: does it really matter for a roughly 3-6 foot run of cable?
    Why not just try it out?

Audiophiles swear by glass - for me the difference is negligible to non-existent.
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

The main problem with optical toslink cables is generated jitter. I haven't come across a study stating that glass intrinsically generates less jitter... But you'll need good cables, that's for sure.

PS: unfortunately I can't get a hold on the measures of optical cables' generated jitter, but (as far as I remember) it was quite impressive. Perhaps someone else will provide a link.
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    Why not just try it out?
    'Cause I don't want to buy both kinds. ;0)

Joe
    Transporter > diyTube modified Dynaco ST-70 amplifier > JM Reynaud Euterpe speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    But you'll need good cables, that's for sure.
    Why, for such an easy application? The Behringer's doing a lot more to the signal than any cable does.

Quote Originally Posted by joeriz View Post
    'Cause I don't want to buy both kinds. ;0)
    I guess I meant, try out plastic and see if it sounds bad...
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

FYI, you can use coax with the DEQ2496, you just need to hook it to the AES/EBU connector with a balanced xlr on one end and a RCA on the other.

The manual covers this, you have to short two of the pins (1&3 I think... can't remember) on the xlr side.

I've done this with a custom cable I put together, and it works just fine.

Robin Bowes

Toslink question: glass vs. plastic

joeriz wrote:
    > I apologize in advance if this causes a stir although that is not my
    > intention.
    >
    > I recently purchased a Behringer DEQ2496 which I would like to hook up
    > in the digital loop of my Transporter. So, obviously, I'm going to
    > need a couple of toslink cables.

Why is that obvious?

I use the Balanced AES/EBU - I just use a couple of XLr-XLr cables I
    made myself. Sure, they're supposed to 110 ohm, but they seem to work OK

R.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    Why, for such an easy application? The Behringer's doing a lot more to the signal than any cable does.
    You are probably right, simply I don't like buying cables that I'm obliged to throw away, after initial use.
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

A place where something is or could be located; a site.
    bluejeanscable.com sells plastic Toslink rather than glass. They offer a rationale here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...udio/index.htm

I'd be inclined to trust them.

glass v plastic is one of the enduring audiophile truism myths...like switched v linear power supplies.

Life isn't full of absolutes. I think you should just buy a good quality plastic and enjoy it.

Of coure we all know that coax is better anyway
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.