Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

full reinstall / reformat of QNAP OS, without loosing music files?

Hi,
    Is it possible to do a full reinstall of the QNAP Linux OS (and SS), without loosing the media files?
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

It depends on what you mean by 'a full reinstall'. The QNAP OS that runs the TS-109's basic services is flash based. Each time you upgrade the firmware you're doing a reinstall of that part of the software.

The system that SqueezeCenter uses is the SSODS installation. That is stored on the disk, so formatting the disk would destroy that data. However, the installation directory for SSODS is independent of the standard place where the media files are stored (in /Qmultimedia), so it is perfectly possible to upgrade SSODS without affecting anything else. Likewise, SC itself is also stored independently of everything else, so reinstalling that won't destroy your media files or SSODS.

A complete reformat of the disk would, however, wipe everything.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sand View Post
    Hi,
    Is it possible to do a full reinstall of the QNAP Linux OS (and SS), without loosing the media files?
    sand
    If I recall from some of your earlier postings on this forums you have had many SS issues on your Qnap ever since you "tried" to uninstall your Progressive 6.4.x version of SS, in fact I recall you may have even installed SC7 straight over your old 6.4.x version rather than deleting it 1st. You like me also had problems when trying to uninstall our Progressive SS, in fact my failure to correctly uninstall it BEFORE I had installed SC7 left me with BOTH versions running at the same time which really slowed everything down.
    So once I realised this was the problem, the way I fixed it was basically:
    1. Using my already installed SSOTS software I uninstalled my SC7.
    2. Using a great piece of "Windows" familular software that resembles Windows Explorer called WinSCP (google it for freeware download), I then explored my Qnap Folders deleting any thing to do with SS, & I was amazed just how much old 6.3 & 6.4 bits I found. Obvoiusely you need to use one's commen sense a lot,
    3. Rebooted my Qnap,
    4. Updated the Qnap firmware to the latest version,
    4. Then lastly I followed the SSOTS instructions to install the latest SC7.........and have not looked back ever since...........works 100% the way it should. All my media files were untouched & intact.

I hope this points you in the right direction. The root cause of our problems was the incorrect uninstallation of our progressive 6.4 SS I think.

Simon

Thank you, Simon & Steve!

I will search for old files.

I did try to uninstall 6.5 (according to the instructions) before installing 7, but I'm not sure it worked properly.

Actually, my installation works fine, except for:
    1. SC crashes on boot, I have to restar it manually (see log below)
    2. When left on overnight the system becomes unresponsive.
    3. Log says this althought I just ran checkdisk "[[SATA Disk] The file system is not cleaned. It is suggested that you to run "check disk"."
    4. Spindown is not working.

I'm tired of all the issues that appear as soon as one is solved, another one appears.. so I was considering fresh start.

0006: [08-09-18 11:43:15.4832] Slim::Networking::Slimproto::init (129) Warning: Can't listen on port 3483 for Slim protocol: Adressen upptagen at /share/HDA_DATA/SqueezeCenter/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 129.
    0005: [08-09-18 11:43:03 ] ssctrl SqueezeCenter started.
    0004: [08-09-18 11:42:24 ] ssctrl Command line = /volume1/SSODS/sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --chuid ssods --nicelevel -5 --exec /volume1/SSODS/bin/perl -- /volume1/SqueezeCenter/slimserver.pl --daemon --pidfile /volume1/SqueezeCenter/Cache/squeezecenter.pid --cachedir /volume1/SqueezeCenter/Cache --logdir /volume1/SqueezeCenter/Logs --prefsdir /volume1/SqueezeCenter/prefs --noupnp --httpport 9001
    0003: [08-09-18 11:42:22 ] ssctrl Starting SqueezeCenter 7.1-22170.
    0002: [08-09-14 22:38:21 ] ssctrl Error while stopping SqueezeCenter.
    0001: [08-09-14 22:37:50 ] ssctrl Stopping SqueezeCenter 7.1-22170.
    Last edited by sand; 2008-09-18 at 03:04. Reason: added log
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Thanks again, great software (I used to use Midnight Commander before).
    However, I find nothing related to SlimServer, only Squeeze Center.

Quote Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
    sand
    If I recall from some of your earlier postings on this forums you have had many SS issues on your Qnap ever since you "tried" to uninstall your Progressive 6.4.x version of SS, in fact I recall you may have even installed SC7 straight over your old 6.4.x version rather than deleting it 1st. You like me also had problems when trying to uninstall our Progressive SS, in fact my failure to correctly uninstall it BEFORE I had installed SC7 left me with BOTH versions running at the same time which really slowed everything down.
    So once I realised this was the problem, the way I fixed it was basically:
    1. Using my already installed SSOTS software I uninstalled my SC7.
    2. Using a great piece of "Windows" familular software that resembles Windows Explorer called WinSCP (google it for freeware download), I then explored my Qnap Folders deleting any thing to do with SS, & I was amazed just how much old 6.3 & 6.4 bits I found. Obvoiusely you need to use one's commen sense a lot,
    3. Rebooted my Qnap,
    4. Updated the Qnap firmware to the latest version,
    4. Then lastly I followed the SSOTS instructions to install the latest SC7.........and have not looked back ever since...........works 100% the way it should. All my media files were untouched & intact.

I hope this points you in the right direction. The root cause of our problems was the incorrect uninstallation of our progressive 6.4 SS I think.

Simon
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

It would be very nice to be able to wipe the whole installation, keeping only the music files!
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro