Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marrahm View Post
    Also, is there a way to have the daemon load automatically on the DNS startup?
    This is how I start it automatically by using a ffp start script:

A) first of all, create a symbolic link squeezecenter pointing to slimserver.pl in the directory of squeezecenter:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.3-noCPAN/
    ln -s slimserver.pl squeezecenter
    (for some reason invoking slimserver.pl directly from the start script doesn't work, but creating the symbolic link does the trick)

B) next create another symbolic link squeezecenter pointing to the installation directory of squeezecenter:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/HD_a2/
    ln -s squeezecenter-7.3-noCPAN squeezecenter
    (This is only done to simplify the path to SC and avoid having to modify the start script each time I move to a newer version of SC. That way I only have to recreate the link to the new location when I install a new SC)

C) create a script /ffp/start/squeezecenter.sh with the following content:

Code:
    #!/ffp/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: squeezecenter
    # REQUIRE: mysqld

. /ffp/etc/ffp.subr

name="squeezecenter"
    command="/mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter/squeezecenter"
    squeezecenter_flags="--daemon --user=squeezecenter"

start_cmd="squeezecenter_start"
    stop_cmd="squeezecenter_stop"
    status_cmd="squeezecenter_status"

squeezecenter_start()
    {
    proc_start $command
    }

squeezecenter_stop()
    {
    proc_stop squeezecenter
    sleep 35
    }

squeezecenter_status()
    {
    proc_status squeezecenter
    }

run_rc_command "$1"
    With this script you should be able to start or stop SC just by invoking:
    Code:
    sh /ffp/start/squeezecenter.sh start
    or
    Code:
    sh /ffp/start/squeezecenter.sh stop
    To make SC start automatically at startup, just make the script executable:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /ffp/start/squeezecenter.sh
    I hope this helps...

Yannick

auto start

Not sure why yet, but this doesn't seem to work. I get permission errors even when trying to manually invoke the scripts to start/stop. Right now, the only way I can start SC is to run it with the ./ command line you posted on page 1 from inside the SC directory itself. Everything else seems to not want to work. Since I don't plan on shutting the unit off anymore, this is certainly not a big deal, but I'll keep playing with it and report back if I figure it out.

Thanks again for all the help.

mike

Not sure why yet, but this doesn't seem to work. I get permission errors even when trying to manually invoke the scripts to start/stop. Right now, the only way I can start SC is to run it with the ./ command line you posted on page 1 from inside the SC directory itself. Everything else seems to not want to work. Since I don't plan on shutting the unit off anymore, this is certainly not a big deal, but I'll keep playing with it and report back if I figure it out.

Thanks again for all the help.

mike
    hmm, that's strange. Can you copy the exact error you are getting? Is it a UNIX permission denied message or something coming from perl/SC?
    A permission problem could be either on the slimserver.pl script, or on one of the directories leading to it, or you forgot to replace the first line of the perl script with #!/ffp/bin/perl - but in that case it wouldn't explain why it works from the directory itself.
    Does it work when you invoke the script with "perl _your_sc_dir_/slimserver.pl" from outside the directory?
    Maybe you can also paste here the output of "ls -al" from the SC directory...

Yannick

Yannick, thanks for your elaborate guide on HOWTO. Took some time, but almost everthing is running.

I have a similar problem as Marrahm though. Reply I get is:

Line 6: can't open /ffp/etc/ffp.subr

Access rights for ffp.subr are set to -rwsr-xr-x

Any ideas? Would be nice to have the whole thing running on boot

Cheers, Jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    Yannick, thanks for your elaborate guide on HOWTO. Took some time, but almost everthing is running.

I have a similar problem as Marrahm though. Reply I get is:

Line 6: can't open /ffp/etc/ffp.subr

Access rights for ffp.subr are set to -rwsr-xr-x

Any ideas? Would be nice to have the whole thing running on boot

Cheers, Jeroen
    Looking at my system, the rights for ffp.subr are -rw-r--r-- and the owner is root:root. (I've never changed the permissions of that file)
    The script has the same model as the other start scripts coming from ffp packages, such as mysql. You can start mysql successfully with "sh /ffp/start/mysqld.sh start" but it fails with squeezecenter? If yes, compare both scripts. Since they have the exact same line ". /ffp/etc/ffp.subr", there is no reason why one should work and but not the other.

Yannick

followup

Yannick,

Here is the output from ls -a1 in the SC directory:

Bin
    CPAN
    Cache
    Changelog.html
    Changelog1.html
    Changelog2.html
    Changelog3.html
    Changelog4.html
    Changelog5.html
    Changelog6.html
    Changelog7.html
    Firmware
    Graphics
    HTML
    IR
    Installation.txt
    License.de.txt
    License.es.txt
    License.fr.txt
    License.he.txt
    License.it.txt
    License.nl.txt
    License.txt
    Logs
    MySQL
    Plugins
    SQL
    Slim
    cleanup.pl
    convert.conf
    lib
    modules.conf
    prefs
    revision.txt
    scanner.pl
    slimserver.pl
    slimservice-convert.conf
    slimservice-strings.txt
    slimservice.pl
    squeezecenter
    strings.txt
    types.conf
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.3.2-24415-noCPAN #

Here's my top:
    Mem: 60560K used, 1388K free, 0K shrd, 10576K buff, 8512K cached
    CPU: 3% usr 0% sys 0% nice 89% idle 6% io 0% irq 0% softirq
    Load average: 1.67 1.48 0.81
    PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %MEM %CPU COMMAND
    2291 1 squeezec S 74688 120% 3% /ffp/bin/perl -w /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecen
    2442 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    2518 2474 root R 1360 2% 0% top
    1792 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1788 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1793 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1783 1695 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1791 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1790 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1786 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1787 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1784 1783 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    1785 1784 root S 25988 42% 0% /ffp/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/ffp --d
    2073 1528 root S 5476 9% 0% /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
    1536 1528 root S 4972 8% 0% /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
    1528 1 root S 4928 8% 0% /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
    1496 1 root S 4412 7% 0% /web/webs
    1532 1 root S 2976 5% 0% /usr/sbin/samba/nmbd -D
    1695 1 root S 1580 3% 0% /bin/sh /ffp/bin/mysqld_safe --skip-ne
    1244 1 root S 1568 3% 0% crond
    top: no process info in /proc64 3% 0% init

It sure seems like there is too much going on in mysqld, especially with the strange multiple entries and large cpu usages, but I don't really know what to make of most of this.

I couldn't figure out anything else so I went back through your instructions and redid everything, including the virtual links (using the -f option to force new links). I must have screwed something up the first time b/c now I can run the start and stop (and status) scripts from any directory without errors. And the auto script now works! Is there anything I should worry about with the mysql information above?
    Thanks a bunch for all the help.

And to make sure I'm not missing anything, to update to a new version, I need to:
    -follow steps 3, 4.3, 4.4, 5
    -make new virtual links to the .pl and the directory
    -delete the old directory.

Anything else?

Have a great new year!
    Mike

First of all, happy new year!

Here is the output from ls -a1 in the SC directory:
    I had meant ls -al in order to see the permissions (you did a ls -a1, which displays only the file names).
    But if you say that it's working now, it doesn't matter. You must have missed something during the first try...
    I'm glad it's working for you too.

It sure seems like there is too much going on in mysqld, especially with the strange multiple entries and large cpu usages, but I don't really know what to make of most of this.
    Your "top" output is normal. The 42% you are seeing for mysqld is not the CPU load, but the used memory. It means that MySQL uses a total of 42% of the 64Mb RAM of the device, which is quite normal.
    The multiple entries for mysqld is normal as well. MySQL is a multi-threaded application which creates several processes to be able to serve multiple clients. Nothing to worry about that.

And to make sure I'm not missing anything, to update to a new version, I need to:
    -follow steps 3, 4.3, 4.4, 5
    -make new virtual links to the .pl and the directory
    -delete the old directory.

Anything else?
    To update to a new version, you'll need to repeat the steps 3, 4.1, 4.3 and 5.
    4.1 must be done again because build-perl-modules.pl doesn't compile the perl modules in the directory of perl, but in the directory of SqueezeCenter itself under CPAN/arch. As an alternative, you can also try to copy the CPAN/arch directory from the old SC directory to the new directory.
    4.4 doesn't need to be done again, since it should be already set in your /ffp/etc/rc from the previous installation.

Additionally you'll have to recreate the symbolic links to the new directory and to the .pl script as you noted.

Moving to a new version is pretty fast. I moved my system to 7.3 within 5min. However after the move you have to redo all the settings in the Web interface and it will rescan your whole library from the beginning. For me it is not a problem, but if you want to keep the old prefs and the old database, you probably have to move over the prefs/server.pref from the old directory to the new one. Depending on the compatibility between the old version you are coming from and the new version you are moving to, it may be possible or not. If you need to recycle the prefs or the database, you may want to ask in the "SqueezeCenter" forum how to do that.

Yannick

Yannick is a genius.

'nuff said.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

90 per cent there, but that 10% is a doozy

Hi - I'm trying to get this 323 running for a friend's wedding, so I'll have to go to plan B on Sunday... I'm a linux Noob.

I followed the script and basically loaded 7.2. Telnet fine (more or less); MySQL appears to start up, but attempting to start SC via command line gives a couple of non-critical warnings and then it decides to run a scan, but no signs of a scanning process - no scanner log, for example.

I tried altering the Music folder attributes, and seemed to get a little further - at least it falls over at something definable...

Error messages on attempting ./slimserver.pl --user=squeezecenter --daemon

Useless use of a constant... Slimproto.pm line 129
    CheckDataSource (904) Warning: Schema updated...

The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with SqueezeCenter:
    GD (loaded 2.35, need 2.35)

(then some options and silence...)

I had loaded all of the PERL modules from funpkg extra-packages/perl

There is a server log entry showing an attempt to scan, but nada even after several hours.

If I try the start-up script... Error messages on attempting sh /ffp/start/squeezecenter.sh start

: notfoundsqueezecenter.sh: line 2:
    : notfoundsqueezecenter.sh: line 5:
    : notfoundsqueezecenter.sh .: line 6: can't open /ffp/etc/ffp.subr

I know tht the same line is used in the MySQL script, so I'm baffled. Can't seem to reload GD either.

Any thoughts? How best to strip down to start again?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hyphen View Post
    The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with SqueezeCenter:
    GD (loaded 2.35, need 2.35)
    The problem is that you have installed GD 2.41 from funpkg extra-packages/perl and your SqueezeCenter/CPAN directory still contain the perl scripts for GD 2.35.
    => either you must delete the directory CPAN/GD and the script CPAN/GD.pm (rm -rf GD*) or you uninstall the ffp package GD and compile GD 2.35 manually as described in step 2.4.1 of the tutorial at the beginning of this thread.

Note that if you are in a hurry and all you want to make SC 7.2 run on a new DNS-323 and you don't need any other ffp package, you may want to consider using the squeezecenter-funplug that you can download there: http://www.inreto.de/dns323/squeezecenter-funplug/
    All you have to do is copy the 2 files in the right directory and reboot, as described at the link I mentioned.

Yannick