Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Any chance of making a autoexec.bat like script which'll do everything, correctly in one go? And maybe only installing required fun plugins not the whole lot. Isn't the lot 700MB, seems a bit excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    Any chance of making a autoexec.bat like script which'll do everything, correctly in one go? And maybe only installing required fun plugins not the whole lot. Isn't the lot 700MB, seems a bit excessive?
    Well, there is already a full automated installation package of SC which has been prepared by fonz: http://www.inreto.de/dns323/squeezecenter-funplug/
    Just copy the 2 files in the right directory, reboot and everything is installed automatically. It can't be easier and I don't see the need to compete with the ffp packages.

It has never been my intention to provide a full automated installation, but just to make it work for my own needs. At the time I started this thread, the only solution available was to chroot to a debian to run an old SC 6 package, which can't be seen seriously as a viable solution. At that time you could only read on the different forums that SC 7.x would never run on a DNS-323 because of its limited RAM. I found a reproduceable way to install it and it appeared to be, contrary to the expectation, quite usable, so that I decided to documentate the exact steps for other people to follow in the expectation that more people would use SC on a DNS-323 and that some smart guys like fonz would create such packages. And it is exactly what happened. Having a community around SC on the DNS-323 is at the end a good thing for the SqueezeBox because it brings new potential users like me, who already have such a NAS and for whom having to run a PC to serve the SqueezeBox is not an acceptable option.

With his special SqueezeCenter funplug, fonz has made the DNS-323 one of the NAS with the easiest SC installation - even if the DNS-323 doesn't have the best hardware to run it. So if you are looking for an easy installation and aren't interested in the details, just use his package (I've seen that he's just released a 7.3.1 package)

As I wrote before in this thread, my objective, and the purpose of that thread since ffp packages are available, is more to teach people who like to hack their system, how to make it work by themselves, so that they can, at any time , install whatever new version is available without being dependent on a package provider or do other customized things. In fact nearly the same steps could be used to install SC on any other NAS or Unix systems, where perl is available. So it's more about education and learning how to do it and the technical details, rather than providing a finished package.

If you want to use the DIY method anyway, but want to reduce the number of packages to install (the 700MB), start with the packages for perl, the dependent modules and MySQL. That should be the only things you really need. If you compile the perl modules yourselves like in the tutorial, you'll need for sure gcc and probably automake and autoconf. Give it a try, if it complains that something is missing, install the missing dependencies and retry until it works. And the most important, share you findings with the community...

Yannick

ok I've done that and now 8,772 files are in ffp directory.
    When I enter

http://192.168.1.65:9000
    or
    http://192.168.1.65:9001

it cannot connect to server. In the log file it shows lots of "WARNING: Converting hard link to symlink.tar:"

oops I downloaded the 10mb fun plug not the 40mb. How do I remove it, just delete directory and reboot?
    Last edited by badbob; 2009-01-09 at 17:19.

ok I've done that and now 8,772 files are in ffp directory.
    When I enter

http://192.168.1.65:9000
    or
    http://192.168.1.65:9001

it cannot connect to server. In the log file it shows lots of "WARNING: Converting hard link to symlink.tar:"

oops I downloaded the 10mb fun plug not the 40mb. How do I remove it, just delete directory and reboot?
    The funplugs all work the same: you copy the fun_plug script and a .tgz file, and during the first start the .tgz is being uncompressed.
    To remove it, just delete the fun_plug script and the files that got created. (to see which files were created, just open the tgz file in any archiving tool).

Note that I've just found that D-Link is claiming at least on the german website support for SqueezeCenter: http://www.dlink.de/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJ...rmLkkRsO3bbQ==
    (look at the end of the page for the SqueezeBox logo. The translation of the paragraph is: "You can now stream your favorite music from the DNS-323 to a logitec Squeezebox of your choice. Here is the link to the SqueezeCenter server software for your DNS-323"
    Following the download link, it appears it is exactly the fonz SqueezeCenter funplug. So SC support seems to become official now :-)

Yannick

I've renamed the ffp directory to something else, deleted the two files in root and rebooted. So I understand it's now in stock mode? However I cannot delete ffp directory, do I need to telnet to it for deeper level access?

I've just copied the funplug and 40mb tgz rebooted and works awesome. So now I have three slimservers, the HTPC, the qnap and DNS-323 :-)

However I cannot delete ffp directory, do I need to telnet to it for deeper level access?
    The files probably have root ownership, so that you can't delete them from Windows.
    Simply telnet to it and use "rm -rf /mnt/HD_a2/ffp" (or whatever path you want to delete) to remove the directory and all its content.

Yannick

telnet 192.168.1.65

could not open on port 23.

also how do I copy custom browse plugin into Z:\ffp\lib\squeezecenter\Plugins?
    and within DNS-323 music dir settings, need to point to Qnap directory. I think it's something like this?

http://192.168.1.68:9001/volume1/Public/music
    Last edited by badbob; 2009-01-09 at 18:14.

Hi yannick, just wanted to say that the legwork by folks such as yourself and fonz is greatly appreciated - and it's good to know there is a community willing to have a go at getting these two great pieces of hardware kit to cooperate despite the naysayers and lack of official support. I look forward to the proposed changes to squeezecenter at the wiki for an even better performance with the new database design in future..

Is it possible to add DNLA support for PS3/Xbox 360 streaming? If these plugins add extra services I can't see why not. Also USB HD storage support like the Qnap. DNS-323 has USB port but that's only for print server.

telnet 192.168.1.65

could not open on port 23.

also how do I copy custom browse plugin into Z:\ffp\lib\squeezecenter\Plugins?
    Apparently telnet is not enabled by default in this package. You may have to start it by modifying the funplug script.
    As for the Plugins directory, looking at the permissions of the directory in the tgz archive it looks like you need to be root to be able to write in it => you need telnet to change the permissions so that you can write in this directory from Windows.

You should ask this question in this forum, where fonz published the package:
    http://forum.dsmg600.info/t3594-Sque...lug-7.3.1.html
    Maybe he can improve that in the next version of his package.

Yannick