Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Howto: Install SqueezeCenter 7.2 on D-Link DNS-323

How to install SqueezeCenter 7.2 on D-Link DNS-323

I've documented the steps I used to install SqueezeCenter 7.2 on a DNS-323. By looking for how to do it, I only found explanation explaining how to install an older version by chrooting to a debian or statements saying that it could never run on a DNS-323, so I decided to try it by myself.
    And finally it turned out to be possible and quite usable (the web front-end is a bit slow, but I don't care because I don't use it quite often).
    There may be a shorter way, but these steps worked for me twice (I retried from scratch in order to write this tutorial).

I've tried to describe all commands, so that even a UNIX newbie can copy and paste all commands in a telnet session and get it work.
    When you see a line like this:
    "/mnt/HD_a2/ffp # rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages ."
    It shows you the current path where you should normally be when entering the command (/mnt/HD_a2/ffp #) and the command to type (rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages .) => type/copy the command from the #.

Yannick

---------------------------------------------------

Starting point: DNS-323, Firmware Version 1.05

###########################################
    1) Prepare the DNS-323 and install ffp 0.5:
    ###########################################
    1.1) Log in the administration UI of the DNS-323, go to the tab Advanced/Users and add a new user 'squeezecenter'

1.2) Download and install the Fonz Fun-Plug 0.5 as described under http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/ to get telnet access to the DNS-323. (Copy fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz to Volume 1 and reboot)

1.3) Install all the additional ffp0.5 packages. (You certainly don't need all of them, but disk space is the only thing I have enough on my DNS-323 and I didn't want to search long for what is necessary or not. Not that after the SqueezeCenter is installed you can still remove unused packages if you need more disk space)
    Code:
    telnet ip_of_your_dns323
    / # cd ffp
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp # rsync -av inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages .
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp # cd packages
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/packages # funpkg -i *.tgz
    At this point, you have telnet access on your DNS-323 and the most important unix programs and services (compiler, perl, mysql, etc...) are installed on it

#############################
    2) Configure and start mysql:
    Mysql is the database used by SqueezeCenter to store all the metadata of your music collection. By default SqueezeCenter starts its own instance of mysql and ignores any existing mysql installation. In the case of the DNS-323 we want Squeezecenter to use the mysql instance which is installed on the system (installed in the previous step), because memory is short and SqueezeCenter doesn't provide a mysql binary for ARM.

2.1) Create a configuration file for mysql:
    The ffp installation of mysql comes without working configuration file. We have to copy it from the examples directory and modify it to indicate a path for the database which exists in the DNS323:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/packages # cd /ffp/etc
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/etc # cp examples/mysql/my-small.cnf my.cnf
    Edit the new created configuration file my.cnf (use either vi to edit the file from within the telnet session, or if you don't know how to use vi, give write access to all user to the file 'chmod 666 my.cnf', open the file in a text editor from your computer, and restore the write access after the modification with 'chmod 644 my.cnf')
    - search for the section [mysqld] and add the line 'datadir = /ffp/var/mysql' after the line 'thread_stack = 64K'. You should have something like that:
    Code:
    # The MySQL server
    [mysqld]
    port		= 3306
    socket		= /ffp/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock
    skip-locking
    key_buffer = 16K
    max_allowed_packet = 1M
    table_cache = 4
    sort_buffer_size = 64K
    read_buffer_size = 256K
    read_rnd_buffer_size = 256K
    net_buffer_length = 2K
    thread_stack = 64K
    datadir = /ffp/var/mysql
    2.2) Install the mysql database
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/etc # mysql_install_db
    2.3) Make mysql start automatically at boot time
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/etc # cd /ffp/start/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # chmod a+x mysqld.sh
    2.4) Starts manually mysql
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # sh mysqld.sh start
    2.5) Secure mysql
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # mysql_secure_installation
    Answer to the questions as follow:
    Code:
    - Set root password? [Y/n] Y
    - New password: yourpassword
    - Remove anonymous users? [Y/n] Y
    - Disallow root login remotely? [Y/n] Y
    - Remove test database and access to it? [Y/n] Y
    - Reload privilege tables now? [Y/n] Y
    2.6) Create the squeezecenter database
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # mysql -u root -p
    Enter password: your_root_password

mysql> create database squeezecenter;
    mysql> grant all on squeezecenter.* to squeezecenter identified by 'your_password';
    mysql> flush privileges;
    mysql> quit
    At that point you have a running MySQL installation and an empty squeezecenter database that SqueezeCenter can use. MySQL will start automatically when your reboot the DNS-323

#########################################
    3) Download and install SqueezeCenter 7.2
    #########################################

3.1) Download and unzip SqueezeCenter 7.2:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start # cd /mnt/HD_a2/
    /mnt/HD_a2 # wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.2.0/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN.tgz
    /mnt/HD_a2 # tar xvfz squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN.tgz 
    /mnt/HD_a2 # cd squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/
    3.2) Modify the header of the .pl files so that it uses /ffp/bin/perl instead of /bin/perl
    - Edit slimserver.pl and scanner.pl and modify the first line to be:
    Code:
    #!/ffp/bin/perl -w
    Last edited by yannick; 2008-09-17 at 15:36. Reason: Better formatting

#################################
    4) Install dependent perl modules
    #################################

4.1) Download and install some dependent perl modules in the SqueezeCenter installation:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN # perl Bin/build-perl-modules.pl XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser JSON::XS Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck
    Answer all questions as follow:
    Code:
    - Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
    This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with --> /ffp/bin/perl
    - Please enter the path to your SqueezeCenter directory (ex: /usr/local/slimserver) --> /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN
    - Please enter a directory to download files to --> /ffp/tmp
    The system will automatically download, compile and install a few perl modules. This will take some time and output a few warnings and non blocking errors that you can ignore.

4.2) Download and install manually additional dependent modules that are not installable with the build-perl-modules-pl script of SqueezeCenter. To do that we go to the temp directory /ffp/tmp:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN # cd /ffp/tmp/
    4.2.1) Download and install GD
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/L/LD/LDS/GD-2.35.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz GD-2.35.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd GD-2.35/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/GD-2.35 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/GD-2.35 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/GD-2.35 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/GD-2.35 # cd ..
    4.2.2) Download and install DBI
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/T/TI/TIMB/DBI-1.607.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz DBI-1.607.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd DBI-1.607/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBI-1.607 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBI-1.607 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBI-1.607 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBI-1.607 # cd ..
    4.2.3) Download and install DBD::mysql
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/C/CA/CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.008.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz DBD-mysql-4.008.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd DBD-mysql-4.008/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBD-mysql-4.008 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBD-mysql-4.008 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBD-mysql-4.008 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/DBD-mysql-4.008 # cd ..
    Note that if you are trying to compile this module on another NAS as the DNS-323 with the same architecture (for instance Zyxel NSA-220) you may have to use the following options:
    Code:
    perl Makefile.PL --libs="-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/ffp/lib -rdynamic -L/ffp/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -L/ffp/lib -lssl -lcrypto"
    (see post #26 in this thread)

4.2.4) Download and install Encode:etect
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/J/JG/JGMYERS/Encode-Detect-1.01.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz Encode-Detect-1.01.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd Encode-Detect-1.01/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Encode-Detect-1.01 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Encode-Detect-1.01 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Encode-Detect-1.01 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Encode-Detect-1.01 # cd ..
    4.2.5) Download and install Template
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/A/AB/ABW/Template-Toolkit-2.20.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz Template-Toolkit-2.20.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd Template-Toolkit-2.20/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Template-Toolkit-2.20 # perl Makefile.PL
    > answer all questions with y
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Template-Toolkit-2.20 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Template-Toolkit-2.20 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Template-Toolkit-2.20 # cd ..
    4.2.6) Download and install Compress::Raw::Zlib
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015 # cd ..
    4.2.7) Download and install IO::Compress::Base
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/IO-Compress-Base-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz IO-Compress-Base-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd IO-Compress-Base-2.015/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Base-2.015 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Base-2.015 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Base-2.015 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Base-2.015 # cd ..
    4.2.8) Download and install IO::Compress::ZLib
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015 # cd ..
    4.2.9) Download and install Compress::ZLib
    Code:
    wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # tar xfz Compress-Zlib-2.015.tar.gz
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd Compress-Zlib-2.015/
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Zlib-2.015 # perl Makefile.PL
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Zlib-2.015 # make
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Zlib-2.015 # make install
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/Compress-Zlib-2.015 # cd ..
    4.3) Remove conflicting CPAN libraries from the SqueezeCenter installation
    SqueezeCenter brings some CPAN libraries which conflicts with the one we just installed. We need to delete them:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp # cd /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/CPAN/
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/CPAN # rm -r Encode/
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/CPAN # rm -r Template*
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/CPAN # rm -r Compress/
    4.4) Set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /ffp/lib/mysql so that DBD::mysql works:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/CPAN # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/ffp/lib/mysql
    4.4.1) Set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH at boot time:
    Edit the file /ffp/etc/rc and replace the line "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH" with "EXPORT LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/ffp/lib/mysql"

At that point you have all perl modules necessary to run SqueezeCenter

################################################## #############
    5) First starts of SqueezeCenter and final settings adjustments
    ################################################## #############

5.1) First start SqueezeCenter
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN # ./slimserver.pl --user=squeezecenter
    It will prompt a bunch of error messages and exit.
    During this first startup, several log and cache files have been generated.
    Unfortunately those files are created by default with root ownership and the user 'squeezecenter' doesn't have access on it. We have to fix that:

5.2) Fix ownership of generated files
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN # chown -R squeezecenter:500 Cache/ Logs/ prefs/
    5.3) Second start of SqueezeCenter:
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN # ./slimserver.pl --user=squeezecenter
    Even this 2nd start with fail. This time the configuration file for the server has been generated. We need to change its ownership as well and modify it, so that it uses the mysql instance installed on the system previously

5.4) Fix ownership of generated files (again)
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN # chown -R squeezecenter:500 Cache/ Logs/ prefs/
    5.5) Edit prefs/server.prefs
    - Search for the lines defining dbpassword, dbsource and dbusername and modify them as follow:
    Code:
    dbpassword: 'your_password'
    dbsource: dbi:mysql:hostname=localhost;port=3306;database=squeezecenter
    dbusername: root
    Make sure that hostname is localhost and NOT 127.0.0.1. The port must be the same as the port used by mysql as defined in /ffp/etc/my.cnf (3306 by default). The database must be the same name as the database created in step 2.6

6) Start SqueezeCenter daemon
    Code:
    /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN # ./slimserver.pl --user=squeezecenter --daemon
    The server should now startup as a daemon. You can control with 'top' the CPU and memory usage. Once the CPU usage is back to zero, the server is up and you can access it with your web browser on the port 9000.
    Configure from there the server.

Note that a message like
    Code:
    Useless use of a constant in void context at /i-data/1776811d/squeezecenter-7.2-noCPAN/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 129.
    is normal and not critical. It is also normal that the scripts returns after this error. In case the server doesn't start (process not visible in top or ps), check in Logs/server.log for error messages, or start without the --daemon option, to see the error messages on the screen.

##########################################
    7) Make SqueezeCenter start automatically
    ##########################################
    See post #81in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...4&postcount=81

You are done!
    Last edited by yannick; 2009-04-08 at 14:22. Reason: Added link to procedure to start SC automatically

I see that all the http links have been shortened automatically.
    You'll find as an attachment a .txt version of the description, so that you can copy/paste the commands more easily

Yannick
    Last edited by yannick; 2008-09-17 at 16:10. Reason: Synchronize .txt document with the corrections in the main text

Quote Originally Posted by yannick View Post
    I see that all the http links have been shortened automatically.
    You'll find as an attachment a .txt version of the description, so that you can copy/paste the commands more easily

Yannick
    Thanks for the instructions, i'll try it out. By the way how do you copy and paste in putty?

How do i find out which packages in ffp are needed? I run my ffp from usb stick (to allow the disks to spindown) so diskspace is not unlimited.

I'm using Linux, so to copy paste, I only have to highlight the text to copy, and press the middle mouse button at the location where I want to paste it. I don't know how it works with Windows.

As for the packages which are needed, if you really need to save space, you'll have to start with a minimum number of packages and see where it complains that something is missing.
    The minimum you need for sure is gzip, perl, mysql, gcc and make. You probably need zlib, libxml, libpng, libjpeg and id3lib as well. For the rest you'll have to try...

Question What steps are needed to create SqueezeCenter 7.3 package for CH3SNAS

Hi,

SqueezeCenter 7.3 is "released". I have currently a 7.2 version package running on my CH3SNAS and want to "upgrade" to 7.3 (or uninstall and install).

I did obtain my current 7.2 package version from:
    http://www.inreto.de/dns323/squeezecenter-packages/.

Here no 7.3 package is available yet.

Can someone help me (tell me) what steps are needed to make an installable package for my CH3SNAS. Do I need to compile some stuff (for my ARM based NAS)? How do I do that? Are indeed PERL modules target platform specific?
    Some explanation how it works might help.

Any help is appreciated - so thanks in advance.

Regards, devartist

Quote Originally Posted by devartist View Post
    Hi,

SqueezeCenter 7.3 is "released". I have currently a 7.2 version package running on my CH3SNAS and want to "upgrade" to 7.3 (or uninstall and install).

I did obtain my current 7.2 package version from:
    http://www.inreto.de/dns323/squeezecenter-packages/.

Here no 7.3 package is available yet.

Can someone help me (tell me) what steps are needed to make an installable package for my CH3SNAS. Do I need to compile some stuff (for my ARM based NAS)? How do I do that? Are indeed PERL modules target platform specific?
    Some explanation how it works might help.

Any help is appreciated - so thanks in advance.

Regards, devartist
    Well, if you read the first post of this thread, you'll have the exact steps to install manually SC.
    Now if you already had 7.2 running, you already have perl and all the modules you need. The same is true for MySQL. In that case you should only have to do the steps 3 (replace the URL of 7.2 with the URL of SC 7.3), 4.3, and 5.

Yannick

squeezecenter starts but not functioning yet

In the log, I see the following:
    [08-12-20 20:22:21.0199] Slim::Networking::Async:NS::init (102) Warning: No DNS servers responded, falling back to OpenDNS.
    [08-12-20 20:23:28.4914] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1126) Warning: [20:23:28.3743] readdir() attempted on invalid dirhandle DIR at /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.3/Slim/Plugin/InfoBrowser/Plugin.pm line 196.
    [08-12-20 20:23:28.6807] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1126) Warning: [20:23:28.6740] tempfile(): temporary filename requested but not opened.
    Possibly unsafe, consider using tempfile() with OPEN set to true
    [08-12-20 20:23:29.5111] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::initPlugin (150) Can't connect to port 10002 - MusicIP disabled.
    [08-12-20 20:27:26.0792] main::changeEffectiveUserAndGroup (831) Warning: User squeezecenter not found.
    [08-12-20 20:31:14.1592] Slim::Networking::Async:NS::init (102) Warning: No DNS servers responded, falling back to OpenDNS.

The process shows up in ps -ef but I'm unable to connect to the URL with my hostname:9000 and of course the squeezebox can't connect to it. Any ideas for me ? The install process went fairly smoothly otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
    In the log, I see the following:
    [08-12-20 20:22:21.0199] Slim::Networking::Async:NS::init (102) Warning: No DNS servers responded, falling back to OpenDNS.
    [08-12-20 20:23:28.4914] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1126) Warning: [20:23:28.3743] readdir() attempted on invalid dirhandle DIR at /mnt/HD_a2/squeezecenter-7.3/Slim/Plugin/InfoBrowser/Plugin.pm line 196.
    [08-12-20 20:23:28.6807] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1126) Warning: [20:23:28.6740] tempfile(): temporary filename requested but not opened.
    Possibly unsafe, consider using tempfile() with OPEN set to true
    [08-12-20 20:23:29.5111] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::initPlugin (150) Can't connect to port 10002 - MusicIP disabled.
    [08-12-20 20:27:26.0792] main::changeEffectiveUserAndGroup (831) Warning: User squeezecenter not found.
    [08-12-20 20:31:14.1592] Slim::Networking::Async:NS::init (102) Warning: No DNS servers responded, falling back to OpenDNS.

The process shows up in ps -ef but I'm unable to connect to the URL with my hostname:9000 and of course the squeezebox can't connect to it. Any ideas for me ? The install process went fairly smoothly otherwise.
    I get some of these messages as well without apparent consequence. The only messages I don't get are the following ones:
    Code:
    and
    Code:
    [08-12-20 20:31:14.1592] Slim::Networking::Async::DNS::init (102) Warning: No DNS servers responded, falling back to OpenDNS.
    The first one is easy: you haven't created a user squeezecenter as stated in the very first step (1.1) of the tutorial. This alone is a reason why your SC doesn't start.

The second one is less clear for me: it sounds like SC did not find a DNS (Domain Name Server). Are your network settings on the DNS-323 ok? Can you access the internet from it? (Try "ping www.slimdevices.com" and see if it can resolve the URL / reach the machine).

But first of all create the missing user and retry. With some luck the second error won't be an issue anymore after that...

Yannick