Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    Is it possible to add DNLA support for PS3/Xbox 360 streaming? If these plugins add extra services I can't see why not. Also USB HD storage support like the Qnap. DNS-323 has USB port but that's only for print server.
    Not sure what you're asking here. DNLA support for PS3/XBox is something which is not specific to the DNS-323 and should be asked in the developer forum.
    USB storage for DNS-323 has nothing to do with SqueezeCenter and should be asked in the D-Link forums...

Yannick

Quote Originally Posted by Stutz Jr View Post
    Hi yannick, just wanted to say that the legwork by folks such as yourself and fonz is greatly appreciated - and it's good to know there is a community willing to have a go at getting these two great pieces of hardware kit to cooperate despite the naysayers and lack of official support. I look forward to the proposed changes to squeezecenter at the wiki for an even better performance with the new database design in future..
    Thanks. It's nice to know that there are more users out there who are interested in having these 2 pieces working together.
    I'm also looking forward for a thiner version of SC which would be more adapted for NAS devices.

Many thanks,

Yannick

Amen on the thinner version of SC. I wonder if the ReadyNAS version is thinned down or runs any better/faster on that nas than this version does on the dns.

BTW, do your disks ever spin down with SC running? I have firmware 1.06 installed and have found that the disks never seem to turn off - even if I disconnect the dns from the network to make sure nothing is talking to it (like my squeezebox boom) and dump the print queue. I haven't played with the scripts to try and force them to spin down somehow, but that's next on the list since I'd prefer to keep the dns running at all times.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by marrahm View Post
    BTW, do your disks ever spin down with SC running? I have firmware 1.06 installed and have found that the disks never seem to turn off - even if I disconnect the dns from the network to make sure nothing is talking to it (like my squeezebox boom) and dump the print queue.
    No, that's still a problem, not only for the DNS-323 but apparently for most NAS devices if I believe the numerous posts about spin-down/hibernate problems.
    SC prevents the disks to turn off. The problem is not because SC itself writes to the disk, but apparently because of the swap activities of the system. This is the main drawback of having only 64Mb RAM.
    Hopefully the thiner version of SC in the future will solve that problem.

Some people put the swap file on an USB stick to work around the problem. It looks like it solves the problem, but I am not really convinced by this approach since USB sticks are not designed to support large number of write activities like during swap operations.

Personally I partially work around that problem by automatically shutting down SC at night when it is not used and restart it automatically at the usual time when I need it. If you have usual time slots where you hear music, this can be done with simple crontab jobs. That way SC still prevent the disks to hibernate, but at least the DNS-323 sleeps at night or when you are at work...

I have also experimented a bit with a small daemon that runs when SC is down and restart it automatically as soon as a client is trying to connect to SC. It works, but the problem is that SC needs about 2min to come up on the DNS-323, so that it allows you to start the server in case it is down, without you need to boot a computer to connect to telnet, but it is not really comfortable to use, because the squeezebox displays a connection error before the server is up and you have to retry after 2min.

=> Like many others in this forum, I'm still experimenting about an elegant way to work around the hibernate problem...

Yannick

Is installation for DNS-313 the same, supported as well?

Nothing to do with SB but anyone noticed with fw 1.06 fan is at a much higher speed than normal?

Thanks

Hi Yannick - sorry for the belated reply (we got flooded out). I'll give both suggestions a bash. I got a temporary fix going using a Shuttle and FreeNAS, but I would certainly like to get the 323 running...

spindown

Per Yannick's excellent suggestion, I'm using cron jobs to turn SC on and off like a light on a timer. Works, but is fairly course. And causes hiccups with the boom player when all i want to do is stream from the net and need to manually switch to SN. Yannick, thanks for teaching me yet another linux feature!

Anyone tried this plugin yet? http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48521 New posts indicate that it works with linux now. I'll test it out in the next couple of days and report back.

If not, I may dump ffp (including SC)completely to a usb stick since that is reported to have some utility and will allow me some "backup" as I continue to learn ffp and linux since pulling the stick drops you back to a known good ffp install on the HD volume.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by marrahm View Post
    Anyone tried this plugin yet? http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48521 New posts indicate that it works with linux now. I'll test it out in the next couple of days and report back.
    Hi Mike,
    thanks for the link! This is indeed a very interesting plugin.
    I've just tried a little bit what happens when you use that plugin on the DNS-323. Basically it works, meaning that you can shutdown SqueezeCenter with it with a comfortable interface and make the players switch automatically to SqueezeNetwork. The problem on the DNS-323 is how to make it start again.
    Originally this plugin was designed to shutdown/hibernate or restart a complete PC (service + hardware). When the PC would start again, SqueezeCenter would automatically restart.

In our case it is a bit more difficult, because you want to shutdown SC but not the DNS-323 (otherwise you have to run to your DNS-323 and push the button to make it start again, which is not an option for me, since it is not in the living room).
    This is basically possible since the plugin allows you to customize the command to run after SC has been shut-down and don't force you to do a hardware shutdown. So half of the problem is solved, but the plugin is no help to restart the server when you need it, because logically when the server is down, the plugin is not running...
    So either you need to schedule a server start with a crontab job, or you need to start a small daemon which listen at the port SC uses and starts SC automatically as soon as it detects a player trying to communicate with the server.

I still have to experiment a bit: I already have such a small perl daemon which does exactly that when I start it manually. I need to make it start by the plugin at the time it shutdowns SC.
    The problem is the time SC needs to start on the DNS-323 (2min). Starting SC on demand works, but the delay is not really user friendly. So in my case I'll probably use a combined method: use that plugin to schedule the shutdown of SC at a certain time if there is no activity and restart it automatically per crontab at the time I mostly hear music.
    If I want to hear music outside this time frame, the daemon mentioned before will restart automatically the server, but in such a case I will have to wait 2 min for the server to be up.
    I think that would be a good trade-off allowing to run SC only when needed and not to monopolize the resources of the NAS all the time.

Yannick
    Last edited by yannick; 2009-01-15 at 17:39. Reason: fixed typo

Start/Stop automatically SC when needed/not needed

I've finally managed to find a solution to make SqueezeCenter run only when it is needed: SC shutdowns automatically when no client activity is detected for a defined amount of time and restarts on demand as soon as a client is detected.
    That way I work around the problem that the disk never hibernate while SC is running because of the swap activities, and the limited resources of the DNS-323 are saved for its original duty or some other tasks when I don't hear music.

Here is how to do it:
    1) First of all download this plugin (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48521) as mentionned by marrahm in this thread before. You only need the SrvrPowerCtl.zip.
    2) Unzip the zip file into the Plugins/ directory of SC and change the ownership of its files to squeezecenter:500 by using this command in telnet in the Plugins directory:
    Code:
    chown -R squeezecenter:500 SrvrPowerCtl
    3) Unzip the script contained in the attached zip file in your SC directory and make sure that the script is executable (chmod 755 standby)
    4) Then go to the web interface of SC, go to the settings/plugins. You should see a "Server Power Control" plugin. Click on the link to edit its settings.
    Most of the options in there are useless in the case of the DNS-323 because you have no hibernate function.
    Personally I've deselected all the menu options except the 2 first options (Shutdown and Shutdown to SqueezeNetwork) and use as shutdown command the standby script unzipped before (be sure you enter the full path)

At the end of the settings dialog, select the option "Monitor idle Players" and use as "Action to take after idle time" "Shutdown server". Optionally you can also setup the same in "End of day action" with a shorter idle time.

Save the settings and you are done.

When the plugin detects no player for the defined amount of time, it will automatically call the standby script which shutdowns SC and MySQL and starts a small daemon listening at the port of SC. Later, when a player tries to connect to the server, the small daemon will detect the network activity, start automatically MySQL and SC and will terminate itself, until the SC plugin detects no player activity anymore and restart the standby script where things starts from the beginning.

It is quite an elegant solution. The only thing is, as mentioned previously in this thread, that when you start a player, you need to wait about 2min (the time SC needs to start on the DNS-323) before the player is connected. You don't have to do anything, just start the player (depending on the model, you may see a message saying that the server can't be found) and wait. As soon as the server is up, the player will automatically connect to it without any action from you.

If you find these 2min too long, you can use a crontab job to start the server at the usual time you listen to music. If you want to listen music outside this usual time, the script will start the server automatically for you (but then you'll have to wait for it to be up).

A room of improvement in the standby script for the future would be to look at the next alarm before stopping SC and schedule an automatic start of SC shortly before the time of the alarm. Technically that should be possible, since the alarms can be queried and the automatic start can be easily scheduled with a UNIX at job. I'll look at that in the future when I find some time...

Yannick