Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How can SqueezeCenter initialize SQL db

I would like to initialize the SQL database without losing all of my preferences.

I had some tags that were in error, specifically a year of 193 instead of 1993. I corrected the tag, and told SqueezeCenter to rescan everything, thinking that would clear the category data.

Of course, it did not.

I know I can uninstall SQUEEZECENTER entirely, and then re-install.

Isn't there another way to do this. Or to be able to delete categories and let them rebuild?

And is there a configuration option for the Windows XP code that would allow me to direct the database to a drive other than my C drive? I have to think it would be faster on a drive without conflicting system I/O.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated....

I've never had trouble with this ... if the files in question are mp3 files
    are you sure you've changed both id3v1 and id3v2 tags (if they both exist)

Which option did you use when you rescanned? There are two that I recall. The first option is supposed to pick up anything new or changed since the last scan. that one never works for me for some reason. The other option blows away the existing db and rescans from scratch. That always seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
    I would like to initialize the SQL database without losing all of my preferences.
    There are no preferences contained in the MySQL database itself.

I had some tags that were in error, specifically a year of 193 instead of 1993. I corrected the tag, and told SqueezeCenter to rescan everything, thinking that would clear the category data.

Of course, it did not.

I know I can uninstall SQUEEZECENTER entirely, and then re-install.

Isn't there another way to do this. Or to be able to delete categories and let them rebuild?
    If you run a rescan after selecting 'Clear library and rescan everything' it really _does_ clear everything out of the library database first. If you're not seeing this, then the most likely explanation is that you haven't really cleaned up your tags yet.

If all else fails, just stop SqueezeCenter and MySQL and delete the MySQL database files. It will likely be a waste of time, because I've never seen the 'Clear library' part of the 'Clear library and rescan everything' fail.

And is there a configuration option for the Windows XP code that would allow me to direct the database to a drive other than my C drive? I have to think it would be faster on a drive without conflicting system I/O.
    You can run your own instance of MySQL, in which it's fairly easy to fine tune any of the startup parameters, including the data folder location. Or, find the my.tt file, which SqueezeCenter uses as a template file for the my.ini configuration file for its instance of MySQL. You can designate the data folder there.

Code:
    [mysqld]
    datadir                  = "D:/data/MySQL/"
    innodb_data_home_dir     = "D:/data/MySQL/"
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2008-09-14 at 17:42.

Thanks for the help with MYSQL, I'll check that out.

I'm pretty sure I corrected tag, as the one entry that I had there disappeared when I rescanned. But the category didn't.

I guess I just have to blow away the database and try again. And blow away Squeezecenter if that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
    I'm pretty sure I corrected tag, as the one entry that I had there disappeared when I rescanned. But the category didn't.
    If you do a 'New and changed' scan you'll probably find problems like this. It's not very good at removing old data like genres, years, or artists that no longer exist in the database after you correct tags. The 'Clear library' rescan is a different matter. I'll say it again - it really does clear everything. If you run such a scan and you're still seeing something you thought you removed, re-examine your tags.