Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    iPhone & Ccrome2, thanks for the response.

I primarily would use it in the bedroom, - but would take it out to the garage occasionally while working there. Good to know it would do fine.

Thanks.
    Rotel RSP-1068, Rotel 1060 DVD, Rotel RCC-1055, Rotel 1095 Amp, Rotel 956 Amp, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Rotel RX-1052, Rotel RCC-1055, Klipsch CF-1s, Audiosource Sub, Squeezebox 3

Squeezebox "Bedroom" Boom, Controller
    http://www.last.fm/user/Club1820/

Outdoor usage.

Would definitely say that its suitable for outside usage - that's primarily why I bought mine - windows open and binoculars to see the display on my SB3 in the living-room just wasn't cutting it. :0)

pski

"any room in your house"

So can I select a remote IP manually so I can stream from home to anywhere? (Given a Holy Modem at Home.)

P

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    So can I select a remote IP manually so I can stream from home to anywhere? (Given a Holy Modem at Home.)

P
    Look in the WIKI. I believe any Slim Device (know all the new ones can) be used remotely over the Internet with the proper setup to see your home server. If you just want music and have an Internet connection log onto SqueezeNetwork.

The safe way of course is with a Static IP address for the remote location. You only allow that static IP to have access to and from specific ports. That makes it faily safe and ones home connection and server don't have to be wide open just to play remotely.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    The safe way of course is with a Static IP address for the remote location. You only allow that static IP to have access to and from specific ports. That makes it faily safe and ones home connection and server don't have to be wide open just to play remotely.
    Anyone reading this, please don't ignore this, it's REALLY important.

If you search on Google you can find squeezecenter installations totally open (even without password protection) which means that anyone (without deeper knowledge) can change tracks on your player and download all your music and anyone with some deeper knowledge can also gain access to your computer and delete all your music files or do even worse things.

Using static IP and configure your router or squeezecenter to filter on those IP will make it a bit harder for someone to gain access, but if you really want to feel even safer you should combine this with tunneling through ssh, vpn or similar solution.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Look in the WIKI. I believe any Slim Device (know all the new ones can) be used remotely over the Internet with the proper setup to see your home server. If you just want music and have an Internet connection log onto SqueezeNetwork.

Looking in the instruction book, there are indications that the SC and Boom must be on the same network segment...

Thanks for your help.

formerly known as Fletch
    Looking in the instruction book, there are indications that the SC and Boom must be on the same network segment...
    This is implied by the documentation, but is not true. Different IP subnets are fine.

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    This is implied by the documentation, but is not true. Different IP subnets are fine.
    I don't mean to split hair but there is a difference between "different IP subnets" and a TOTALLY different network.

Different IP subnets are governed by the subnet mask.

Different networks require the specification of a complete IP target in this case.

P

formerly known as Fletch
    I don't mean to split hair but there is a difference between "different IP subnets" and a TOTALLY different network.

Different IP subnets are governed by the subnet mask.

Different networks require the specification of a complete IP target in this case.
    I'm not sure I really agree with your distinction, but my point was this:

On both the Boom and SB classic you can enter any IP address, public or private, for an SC instance and it will work fine as long as a route exists to that destination. I don't have an SBR, but I assume the same is true if you use Net-UDAP.

Question, which I don't think is answered in the FAQ - if an Ethernet lead is plugged into the Boom, is the wireless automatically deactivated? Or can the wireless be switched off manually?

This question probably applies to other Slim Devices also, but the Boom is likely to be sitting very close to your head if you locate it in a bedroom and you might not want radio energy being generated so close to you for prolonged periods.

TIA