iPeng support thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verypsb
    • May 2008

Playback on my iPad doesn't work. It plays the first 2 seconds in an endless loop. Is this a known problem?

Update: Looks like it works after an update to the latest iOS version.
    Last edited by verypsb; 2011-04-22, 07:10.
    Please vote:
    bug 1330 New music should work on creation date
    bug 17963 New and changed doesn't handle changed files
    bug 17799 Use a separator such as 'Also appears on' when viewing the albums by an artist
    bug 18054 Add support for 'Set Subtitle'/'Disc Subtitle' (ID3v2.4 TSST/ID3V2.3 TIT3)
    1x Boom, 1x Classic, 4x Controller, 1x Radio, 4x Receiver, 2x Touch

Comment

• pippin
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by verypsb
      Playback on my iPad doesn't work. It plays the first 2 seconds in an endless loop. Is this a known problem?

Update: Looks like it works after an update to the latest iOS update.
      Could you give me any more specifics, like file format and server version?
      I've seen this with no iOS version so far.
      ---
      learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
      Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
      at penguinlovesmusic.com
      New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• verypsb
        • May 2008

Originally posted by pippin
        Could you give me any more specifics, like file format and server version?
        I've seen this with no iOS version so far.
        iPad 2, 7.6.0 - r32302, .flac

Haven't used this feature extensively yet
        Please vote:
        bug 17799 Use a separator such as 'Also appears on' when viewing the albums by an artist
        bug 18054 Add support for 'Set Subtitle'/'Disc Subtitle' (ID3v2.4 TSST/ID3V2.3 TIT3)

Comment

• verypsb
          • May 2008

Ok, found the problem. It's having iPad playback feature installed in both iPengHD and Squeezepad and running them both at the same time (Not playing at the same time)
          Please vote:

Comment

• pippin
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by verypsb
            Ok, found the problem. It's having iPad playback feature installed in both iPengHD and Squeezepad and running them both at the same time (Not playing at the same time)
            Oh, really? Thanks for letting me know. This is supposed to be fixed now but probably it still sometimes sets in decreasing the volume.
            ---
            at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• epoch1970
              • Apr 2008

I have just noticed this setup:
              - sync SB3 and iPeng iPhone
              - loop on a single song
              does not work properly for me. The song plays once but never plays again.

Song used was FLAC. I use the latest iOS update that landed yesterday.
              2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• Delennyk
                • Apr 2007

iPeng playback transcoding on the fly problem

Hi
                First of all would like to say a big thanks to the developer of iPeng,been using it since the beginning on my 1st gen Touch and its only getting better and better with time,cheers.
                My OS is Linux(vortexbox)running the latest version Squeezeboxserver:7.5.4 - r32298,iPod touch 1st gen.
                When I updated to iPeng playback back in Febuary everything was going well,the only thing I had to do was to go into Server Settings/iPod Touch/Bitrate Limiting and changed it to 256 kbps as i was getting dropouts when I was in New Zealand(my server is in Germany).
                Everything was going well until about a month ago,my problem is I set the bitrate Limiting to 256 kbps click apply then it will play the first song as I have set it(Flac or higher bitrate mp3 transcoded to 256 with no problems)but then as soon as the song ends and it goes on to the next song or if I change albums the setting for the bitrate limiting resets itself back to 'No Limit'!!!!! same also happens if I shutdown and reboot the server.
                Hope someone here can help point me in the right direction so that I can sort this out.
                Thanks

Comment

• pippin
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Delennyk
                  Hope someone here can help point me in the right direction so that I can sort this out.
                  Unfortunately not.
                  It's a side-effect of iPeng's bitrate limiting for 3G networks that it completely disables it for WiFi.
                  There will be a setting for this in the next version.

Sorry.
                  ---
                  at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• Delennyk
                    • Apr 2007

Thanks for the quick answer
                    As I said from update to update it just gets better....:-)

Comment

• MikeMcr
                      • Mar 2009

Apologies if this has been answered already but I couldn't find anything. Does iPeng Playback do any local transcoding on the iDevice and if so what formats are best to avoid it (to prevent stuttering on slower models)?

To enable Napster to work, I installed the PlayWMA plugin along with mplayer on the server. However, on my 3rd generation iPod Touch, playback was choppy especially at the start of each track.

I appear to have fixed this by going into the Squeezebox Server settings, Advanced, File Types and under "Windows Media" disabled everything except for Native and MP3. Was there a better solution, i.e. someway to tell iPeng to always request a format it doesn't need to transcode?

Comment

• pippin
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MikeMcr
                        Apologies if this has been answered already but I couldn't find anything. Does iPeng Playback do any local transcoding on the iDevice and if so what formats are best to avoid it (to prevent stuttering on slower models)?
                        If you mean local decoding: that's FLAC and OGG.
                        OGG currently causes problems on slow devices (and even on fast ones if you do a lot of UI interaction).
                        Currently preparing an update that will help a bit but not entirely remove it (the UI interaction thing).

HD-FLAC (24bit/96kHz) also sometimes causes issues if done in parallel with heave UI interaction but much less so.
                        To enable Napster to work, I installed the PlayWMA plugin along with mplayer on the server. However, on my 3rd generation iPod Touch, playback was choppy especially at the start of each track.
                        That should depend entirely on the server. Could it be your server is not fully up to the job?
                        This, too, will hopefully get better in another (later) release we are working on.
                        I appear to have fixed this by going into the Squeezebox Server settings, Advanced, File Types and under "Windows Media" disabled everything except for Native and MP3. Was there a better solution, i.e. someway to tell iPeng to always request a format it doesn't need to transcode?
                        That's interesting. I would expect mp3 encoding to require much more CPU load on the server than FLAC encoding.

I'm generally seeing your issue, too (my "usual" server isn't really too powerful) so I'll have a look into this.
                        ---
                        at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• MikeMcr
                          • Mar 2009

That should depend entirely on the server. Could it be your server is not fully up to the job?
                          This, too, will hopefully get better in another (later) release we are working on.
                          It's a ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer with dual core CPU and 4GB of memory so should be up to the task.

That's interesting. I would expect mp3 encoding to require much more CPU load on the server than FLAC encoding.
                          It isn't perfect and I still get the occasional stutter but it definately fixes the glitches at the start of each track.

Comment

• lamp
                            • Sep 2008

Audiobook rewind

Hi pippin one feature that I love to have is when I am listening to audiobook I would like to rewind the playback 30 seconds just like the iOS iTunes app 30s rewind feature. Is this possible to add this as a feature perhaps as a preferrence toggle?

Thanks for the awesome app on both iPhone and iPad (just got the iPad app it's great but the UI is not as intuitive).

Cheers
                            Peter

Comment

• Mnyb
                              • Feb 2006

Do you see the blue progress bar?
                              It should only re-request one page.
                              That's needed because otherwise iPeng can't know whether there might have been changes to the database while iPeng was in the background.
                              Also, iPeng frees up a lot of memory when in the background to be a good iOS citizen and not to be quit by iOS too early.
                              Sorry for answering late, but cant you just check with the server if a rescan have been done lately otherwise keep/cache everything.
                              Memory ? Cant the app keep some temp files on the device (I have a 64gB iPad)
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                              Bedroom/Office: Boom
                              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• pippin
                                • Oct 2007

@lamb

The Problem is to determine that something is an audiobook, ok, you could use the genre. Don't want to show yet another control all the time.

I've been planning to o some audiobook enhancements for a long time but there just never was the time for it.
                                Could you file a ticket (sorry, can't post the link right now, it's on penguinlovesmusic.com)

Originally posted by Mnyb
                                Sorry for answering late, but cant you just check with the server if a rescan have been done lately otherwise keep/cache everything.
                                Memory ? Cant the app keep some temp files on the device (I have a 64gB iPad)
                                iPeng keeps a lot of stuff in the cache, but this _is_ how it is determining whether the library has changed.
                                You can't use the server's lastscan info for that, it's completely unreliable on most server versions.
                                ---
                                at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

Working...