Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thecus N5200Pro

Thecus N5200Pro

I have been looking at this unit for the last few weeks, but it does not appear to be able to run the latest software. How does it compare to the other NAS options?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Wagner View Post
    I have been looking at this unit for the last few weeks, but it does not appear to be able to run the latest software. How does it compare to the other NAS options?
    I have one running SC 7.1 and it works very well. Perhaps not quite as fast as a full blown PC, but it certainally isn't slow with my 1,200 album library.

I'm sure a module for 7.2 will appear soon. The module isn't produced by Thecus or SlimDevices/Logitech, but by the N5200 user comunity.

Funk how did you get 7.1 on it?

I saw once a poster tried to diff the 7.1 to 7.0 and update Omegas module but becasue of all the cusotm work Omega did in the SC scripts its was mostly broken slighlty working.

@Chad The Thecus, is the best performing NAS for SC. The only caveat is that the module is supported by one user (not really a community). And that one user has been MIA for 6 weeks now so who knows if a module is coming tommorow, or in 6 months. But all the NAS options are supported by single users pretty much (herger for FreeNAS, Flipflip for QNAP etc) so if Omega is gone hopefully someone else steps up soon to make a new module.

Maybe Funkstar if he got 7.1 working somehow

Either that or my memory is shot and I'm just making it up

I've been away on business for the past month and a half, before that I was running a 7.2 beta build for Boom support on my HTPC. So i've not used SC on my Thecus for a while now.

I do not believe that the 7.1 module is out yet. Sure wish ot would come out.

Talking

Damnit! I was so excited for a second!

Back to work on my SC server! Now to install Xp Pro or buy WHS for it (I suck at Unix)? Hmmmmm.

@CHAD If your buying a NAS to be a SC server mainly, I honestly can't reccomend the Thecus. Weve been stuck at 7.0 for 6-8 months while 7.01, 7.1 and now 7.2 have all come out.

The QNAP/Synology systems get alot more support from Flipflip, they also have the ability to run nightlies and the new highend systems should have the power to serve SC just as good as the Thecus now. QNAP even provides some form of official support via Flipflips work on their forums with nice how-tos and some other things.

If I had the money I'd get one of those and make my Thecus the "backup" NAS since you really need to have one for backup and one for production since you really shouldn't trust a single raid 5 with 4 TB of data

This is really frustrating - in principle, the Thecus is an ideal server as the module system makes it very easy to install, with zero Linux knowledge.
    However this advantage vanishes when users are left with reduced system functionality due to the combination of lack of updates and the non-backwards-compatible way that Squeezenetwork has been changed on the assumption that users can easily update their servers.
    I'm sure it would be in the interests of both Logitech (to be able to give users a simple standalone server solution) and Thecus ( to sell more kit) to 'officially' support the module.

If Logitech ever want to sell this system to non-technical users, they need a simple standalone server solution, and a system that doesn't mess up users when an upgrade happens.
    I wonder if this will ever happen..?

Anyone know the status of Omega's work on the 7.1/7.2 module?

Omega hasn't posted to either the slim or Thecus forums in about 7 weeks. I'm losing hope he's gonna show up anytime soon with an update

Hopefully someone else can create a module besides him, or he shows back up sooner then later!

Bummer. How hard is this module to create for someone who knows how to do such a thing? Maybe, we could pool resources and pay someone to do it? Just a thought.