Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Viglen MCP-L: 500Mhz/512MB/80GB = £79!

OK I have no idea how useful this info is, but I've just been pointed to a deal on hotukdeals.com for the Viglen MCP-L. A rather dinky looking unit. As stated above, this is has a 500Mhz CPU, 512MB RAM and an 80GB hard drive. All for £79 including VAT.

Apparently you have to listen to a podcast to get info on how to obtain one at this price. I haven't listened myself but the comments on hotukdeals suggests it's not a scam.

So, the obvious question: would this be any good to run SqueezeCenter?

More info here:
    http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/blog/2008/...well-worth-79/
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/23384...d.php?t=233848

Apologies if it proves to be not as it seems.

Well I've just bought one, waiting for it to be delivered. Hopefull I'll be running SC off it with all my music on a USB hard disk.
    All I need now is a wireless keyboard and mouse and it'll hopefully do nicely for torrents and photos via my TV as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Well I've just bought one, waiting for it to be delivered. Hopefull I'll be running SC off it with all my music on a USB hard disk.
    Let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    All I need now is a wireless keyboard and mouse and it'll hopefully do nicely for torrents and photos via my TV as well.
    Did you have any luck with this? It seems like a very tempting solution to me. Does WonL work with the installed OS?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I now have one.

Its very very slow. Web browsing is painful (and you cant watch flash content). You cant watch any movies on it as it judders and pauses far too much.

I guess it's ok for basic text editing.

I updated the installed OS and it stopped working (kernal issues). I've now got it working again. I'm still trying to learn Xubuntu.

I've connected it via ethernet to the back of the SB so that I can see it on my exisitng wireless network.

For using it just to use SC it guess its ok (using my laptop to change SC settings is quicker than trying to change them on the MPC-L). Although I am having problems with the buffer on the SB trying to play Apple Lossless, so i am going to convert my music to FLAC so that it doesn't need to be transcoded. But thinking about it as I type, I think I have the SB set up to fetch tracks wirelessly, and seeing as the MPC-L is hard wired to the SB, I'll change the SB to 'wired' to see if that helps.

I'm going to keep it as it now means that I dont have to boot up my XP laptop everytime I want to listen to music.

I have also set up a samba share to an external drive on the MPC-L, which I can access on my XP machine, which lets me rip CD's on my laptop and save them on the external drive attached to the MPC-L.

I guess for £79 its not too bad. You can buy a cheap server for not much more which will have lots more power, but this thing is so small it can be hidden away so easily.

WOL - I'm guessing this will be an option in the BIOS? If it is, then the installed BIOS settings are very basic and there is no WOL option (infact there are very few options)
    Last edited by Merlin; 2008-10-02 at 05:04. Reason: WOL sentence