Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

problem with squeezebox and Audioengine A2

Last week I bought the Squeezebox Duet (which get the music files from a ReadyNAS Duo) and the Audioengine A2s. Everything works fine except for one subjective issue that drives me nut: I like to brighten up the sound with lots of treble, and it seems that there is no way to manipulate the sound at any point in my setup. So today I got myself a cheap stereo receiver (Sherwood RX-4105) which should allow me to change treble/bass. Except I can't get it to play anything and I suspect that it has something to do with in and outputs.

I ran the RCA cables from the SB to the CD in, the Tape in, all other inputs, and for good measure I tried the AUX/TV connectors, too (which are probably outputs). I ran an RCA Y-Cable from the receiver AUX/TV to the Audioengines. Nothing. I plugged the mini jack cable from the AE into the headphone jack on the receiver. Nothing. So am I doing something really basic wrong here? Where is the SB supposed to go in (in the absence of a digital input on the receiver), and where would the AE plug into?

As the word sais receiver, most receivers only receive sound and don't have outputs. What you are looking fore is a small equalizer.

This might not help you, but atleast on the A5's there is a bass port where you can put a rolled up sock or something similar to lower the bass output.. not sure about the A2's and also this approach might not lower the midrange enough for you..
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tevion View Post
    Last week I bought the Squeezebox Duet (which get the music files from a ReadyNAS Duo) and the Audioengine A2s. Everything works fine except for one subjective issue that drives me nut: I like to brighten up the sound with lots of treble, and it seems that there is no way to manipulate the sound at any point in my setup. So today I got myself a cheap stereo receiver (Sherwood RX-4105) which should allow me to change treble/bass. Except I can't get it to play anything and I suspect that it has something to do with in and outputs.

I ran the RCA cables from the SB to the CD in, the Tape in, all other inputs, and for good measure I tried the AUX/TV connectors, too (which are probably outputs). I ran an RCA Y-Cable from the receiver AUX/TV to the Audioengines. Nothing. I plugged the mini jack cable from the AE into the headphone jack on the receiver. Nothing. So am I doing something really basic wrong here? Where is the SB supposed to go in (in the absence of a digital input on the receiver), and where would the AE plug into?
    The problem is that the Sherwood receiver is a tuner + amplifier. The A2s are powered (amplified) speakers, i.e., they have their own amplifiers. The outputs (Tape & VCR) on receivers like the Sherwood typically pass a flat signal to the output; I would certainly expect that to be the case with the Tape, but maybe the VCR would work for you. I'm surprised the headphone jack didn't work for you.

bartverwaaijen isn't right about receivers not having outputs, but he was right about what you really need: an equalizer. But before you do that, one more thing to try is this:

SB RCAs to Sherwood CD in
    Sherwood VCR Out to AudioEngine inputs

I'm doubtful that will help, but it's worth a try before you go out and buy an equalizer. good luck!
    Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it. MSI single-core Atom mini-desktop (Debian Squeeze 6.0.x) feeding: Living room: SB Touch > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C325 BEE > Vandersteen 1; Kitchen/Dining: SB2 > AudioSource Amp100 > 2 pair of Polk RC60i; Basement: SB2 > JVC JA-S44 > ESS Tempest LS8; Bedroom: SB Radio; Study: Squeezelite local player > Klipsch ProMedia 2.0; Backyard deck: SB Receiver > AudioSource Amp100 > Polk Atrium 45; Kid's bedroom: Boom; Roaming controllers: Retina iPad (3rd gen) with Squeezepad & iPeng, iPhone 5s with iPeng, iPod touch (3rd gen) with iPeng, 3 SB Duet Controllers, various SB infrared remotes, Nokia N800; In the bullpen (boxed up and ready to use if one of the above quits): SB3 and one more SB Receiver
    http://www.last.fm/user/aubuti/