Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    Should I upgrade to Squeezecenter 7.1 or not?

    I need some advice on whether to upgrade to Squeezecenter 7.1 or not. I'm currently running Slimserver 6.5.5 - 12852 & SB3 over a wired network and have not had any problems. Everything just works without me having to think about it. I only listen to music from my music collection stored on my server. I do not use any of the radio or online functions.

    Would I benefit from upgrading to Squeezecenter 7.1 and what benefits would I see?

  2. #2
    MrSinatra
    Guest
    i think you should, but many here will say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

    but, why not just try it out, and if you don't like it, revert?

    also, u may want to uninstall your current ver b4 going to the new one. i would try to do a totally clean install.

  3. #3
    Senior Member maggior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
    I need some advice on whether to upgrade to Squeezecenter 7.1 or not. I'm currently running Slimserver 6.5.5 - 12852 & SB3 over a wired network and have not had any problems. Everything just works without me having to think about it. I only listen to music from my music collection stored on my server. I do not use any of the radio or online functions.

    Would I benefit from upgrading to Squeezecenter 7.1 and what benefits would I see?
    If your music collection is mp3 encoded with LAME, then you will want to upgrade. LAME mp3s now play *completely* gapless.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    If your music collection is mp3 encoded with LAME, then you will want to upgrade. LAME mp3s now play *completely* gapless.
    My music collection is 80% wav and 20% flac.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nonreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clarkston, Wa USA
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
    My music collection is 80% wav and 20% flac.
    If you're not going to take advantage of any of the new stuff then I probably wouldn't in your case. But things like Pandora and lastfm are very good and you might find that you really like having that choice.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

    HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonreality View Post
    If you're not going to take advantage of any of the new stuff then I probably wouldn't in your case. But things like Pandora and lastfm are very good and you might find that you really like having that choice.
    What are Pandora and lastfm?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    190
    FF/REW that works is a reason to upgrade.

    Is that in the 7.1 release, or one of the nightlies?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    111
    I upgraded from 7.0.1 earlier today having also downloaded the latest weatherdatetime screensaver (as I knew that the old version was incompatible).
    However, many of my other regularly-used plugins were incompatible so I've downgraded again - for the first time ever.
    I think I'll be staying on 7.0.1 unless a future OS change forces me to upgrade.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    190
    OK - the time has come. I'm going to do it!

    Now, I'm currently on 6.5.4. What is the best way to ensure I can go back if I need to? I mean, same plugins, same database, same everything!

    How do I ensure I can get it back exactly - I don't have any disk imaging software.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Nonreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clarkston, Wa USA
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
    What are Pandora and lastfm?
    Well Pandora is a service that you pick your artist that you want or song and that becomes a seed that determines how it picks others artists and songs. It becomes a radio station that you pick how you want it to go. I did one that had Josh Ritter and Neil Young and a couple of more like artists. Then all you do is hit play and you have a radio station that plays some music that you like. It's great fun and lets you hear some music that you probably never would have know about. It blends the artist that you pick plus new ones that fit the genre. It's great when you really don't want to sit and pick stuff to play and just want to hit play and go on with life. Last fm works a it like it but whatever you play get's submitted to the site and you can see your playing tendencies. Then you can play back your own library from their site and add other artists that they recommend. It's fun because you get to see a lot of stats on what you listen to and then get some new artists to listen to. Both are a lot of fun. I've probably not done justice to them but trust me, you will probably get hooked if you try them.

    Also you get so many internet radio stations that sound very good. I thought from my experience on the computer that they would sound crappy and didn't even try them for a while. Once I did my opinion changed and actually it's not bad at all. Radio stations from all over the world.
    Last edited by Nonreality; 2008-08-03 at 22:35.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

    HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •