Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fresno, California (Comcast)
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    When exactly does the popping occur? Is it only during transitions from one track to the next?
    That's possible....I will collect some more data on that.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    489
    Andy, I've encountered three incidents so far, all of them on random track transitions.

    However I did notice a different issue which may or may not be related -
    2 short scratch noises on track number 6 "The Way You Look Tonight" on album "Blue And Sentimental" by artist "Arnett Cobb"
    The noise always shows up on same location in track, the first noise happens about 80 seconds into the track, the second a couple of minutes later.
    I assume it is related to the 192 kbps encoding or decoding of the specific track. It does not happen on Rhapsody's desktop client.

  3. #13
    Administrator andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7,395

    Loud popping noises

    On Aug 4, 2008, at 5:56 PM, y360 wrote:

    >
    > Andy, I've encountered three incidents so far, all of them on random
    > track transitions.
    >
    > However I did notice a different issue which may or may not be related
    > -
    > 2 short scratch noises on track number 6 "The Way You Look Tonight" on
    > album "Blue And Sentimental" by artist "Arnett Cobb"
    > The noise always shows up on same location in track, the first noise
    > happens about 80 seconds into the track, the second a couple of
    > minutes
    > later.
    > I assume it is related to the 192 kbps encoding or decoding of the
    > specific track. It does not happen on Rhapsody's desktop client.


    OK, can you add all this info to the bug?

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fresno, California (Comcast)
    Posts
    60
    I just listened to a whole album on Rhapsody (Blondie, Greatest Hits: Sound & Vision) without problem. Then I moved to The Way You Look Tonight by Arnett Cobb--I selected that track directly rather than listening to the whole album.

    All of a sudden there was a full 60 seconds of shattering glass sounds, as if played on a backwards tape. The white light on the receiver got brighter and dimmer, and the controller alternated between Now Playing and Paused.

    Then the song started as if nothing had happened. There were short pops at about 1:30 and 2:50.

    I went back and played another album, then did another quick cut to The Way You Look Tonight. This time, no 60 seconds of shattering glass--the song started right away. However the short pops repeated at 1:30 and 2:50.

    Conclusion: There is an intermittent problem at the start of tracks, with an awful shattering glass sound that lasts about a minute while the equipment goes wonky. There are also two short, but consistent pops on The Way You Look Tonight. The symptoms are somewhat similar, but not clear if it's the same problem--there might just be something with that one song (which is otherwise nice).

  5. #15
    Administrator andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7,395

    Loud popping noises

    On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:37 PM, tim1234 wrote:

    >
    > I just listened to a whole album on Rhapsody (Blondie, Greatest Hits:
    > Sound & Vision) without problem. Then I moved to The Way You Look
    > Tonight by Arnett Cobb--I selected that track directly rather than
    > listening to the whole album.
    >
    > All of a sudden there was a full 60 seconds of shattering glass
    > sounds,
    > as if played on a backwards tape. The white light on the receiver got
    > brighter and dimmer, and the controller alternated between Now Playing
    > and Paused.
    >
    > Then the song started as if nothing had happened. There were short
    > pops at about 1:30 and 2:50.
    >
    > I went back and played another album, then did another quick cut to
    > The
    > Way You Look Tonight. This time, no 60 seconds of shattering glass--
    > the
    > song started right away. However the short pops repeated at 1:30 and
    > 2:50.
    >
    > Conclusion: There is an intermittent problem at the start of tracks,
    > with an awful shattering glass sound that lasts about a minute while
    > the equipment goes wonky. There are also two short, but consistent
    > pops on The Way You Look Tonight. The symptoms are somewhat similar,
    > but not clear if it's the same problem--there might just be something
    > with that one song (which is otherwise nice).


    Wow yep, this track is messed up for me too, around 1:25 and 2:53 with
    output underruns. That's helpful, I will do some more debugging
    tomorrow and figure out what it is. Hopefully it's just something
    like a badly encoded file.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fresno, California (Comcast)
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:37 PM, tim1234 wrote:

    >
    > I just listened to a whole album on Rhapsody (Blondie, Greatest Hits:
    > Sound & Vision) without problem. Then I moved to The Way You Look
    > Tonight by Arnett Cobb--I selected that track directly rather than
    > listening to the whole album.
    >
    > All of a sudden there was a full 60 seconds of shattering glass
    > sounds,
    > as if played on a backwards tape. The white light on the receiver got
    > brighter and dimmer, and the controller alternated between Now Playing
    > and Paused.
    >
    > Then the song started as if nothing had happened. There were short
    > pops at about 1:30 and 2:50.
    >
    > I went back and played another album, then did another quick cut to
    > The
    > Way You Look Tonight. This time, no 60 seconds of shattering glass--
    > the
    > song started right away. However the short pops repeated at 1:30 and
    > 2:50.
    >
    > Conclusion: There is an intermittent problem at the start of tracks,
    > with an awful shattering glass sound that lasts about a minute while
    > the equipment goes wonky. There are also two short, but consistent
    > pops on The Way You Look Tonight. The symptoms are somewhat similar,
    > but not clear if it's the same problem--there might just be something
    > with that one song (which is otherwise nice).


    Wow yep, this track is messed up for me too, around 1:25 and 2:53 with
    output underruns. That's helpful, I will do some more debugging
    tomorrow and figure out what it is. Hopefully it's just something
    like a badly encoded file.
    Right, thanks. The start of tracks problem is not limited to this one file though--I've had it at least a dozen times on other albums--this morning it was Brian Eno, Music for Films--but I doubt that the start of tracks problem is specific to any album or file--it's a more general problem (and it's much noisier than a few pops).

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fresno, California (Comcast)
    Posts
    60
    Okay I just got the problem again--about two minutes of noise between tracks. I was listening to Music in Twelve Parts (Phillip Glass), track 1. Then I hit skip (on the Duet controller) to track 2.

    I was rewarded with two minutes of terrible noise. The displays on both the controller and receiver went wonky. Then everything was fine. I listened to track 2 then did some more skipping. Each track started fine, until I got to track 11, with minutes more of shattering glass played backwards! What an awful sound. In fact, this lasted a few minutes, and I got tired of it, so I hit skip a few more times and got out of it.

    Note that Phillip Glass does do some experimental stuff, but the shattering glass sounds are not part of the album!
    Last edited by tim1234; 2008-08-05 at 08:09.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10

    Me, too.

    I'm getting the popping noises on Liz Phair's Whitechocolatespaceegg. It's occurred with nearly all the tracks. Directly replaying the track doesn't stop the pops, but going back or forwards one track, then returning to the bad track, invariably does.

    (This is with 7.1 - 22170 under XP, with a SB3, firmware 101.)

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fresno, California (Comcast)
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by mejiro View Post
    I'm getting the popping noises on Liz Phair's Whitechocolatespaceegg. It's occurred with nearly all the tracks. Directly replaying the track doesn't stop the pops, but going back or forwards one track, then returning to the bad track, invariably does.

    (This is with 7.1 - 22170 under XP, with a SB3, firmware 101.)
    Good choice of albums anyway. Do you get the pops *in* a song, or between songs?

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    489
    I agree with tim1234 - seems to me like two different problems, although both involve output buffer underruns, and may share same root cause.

    One problem is short pops at specific locations of a specific track which can always be reproduced.

    The more severe problem is the minutes-long series of pops that happens on random track transitions.
    This for example I've encountered on transition from track #8 to track #9 in Top Tracks of artist Ron Sexsmith.
    I could not reproduce it by explicitly jumping from track #8 to track #9

    In both cases the cause is output buffer underruns, but the first case is repeatable and pops are short in duration, while the second case of track transitions is random and pops go on for a couple of minutes.
    Last edited by y360; 2008-08-05 at 03:43.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •