Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Glloq
    I think I tried just about everything to get 24/96, all I got was crackles or white noise.
    For now I'm going to settle for 16/24, which is probably the default mode for the Thorens.
    Many thanks for your precious help.
    When you do non standard stuff - you must check the basics as a typo in the conf file or similar small error can send you wildly off track.

Test with a Squeezelite player on Pi - not with a UPNP bridge or any sort of bridge - they bring their own issues (e.g. recent bug fix in 8.5.1 for non CD quality WAV files - pre the fix noise !!)

1. What sort of 96Khz/24bit Flac file can your system play ? When you confirm this - you know you must make the conf file produce these flac files.
    2. Prove from the command line the conf commands can make playable WAV and then Flac files. Play the file as file in a folder from LMS.

arecord -d0 -c2 -f S24_LE -r 96000 -twav -D hw:2,0 >testwav.wav
    ​arecord -d0 -c2 -f S24_LE -r 96000 -twav -D hw:2,0 | flac -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 testoutput.flc

3. Only when file are playable - then check wavin to squeezelite player
    4. Then check with upnpbridge player.

Comment

• Dr.Glloq
      • Apr 2024

I tried

pi@hifireader:~ $ arecord -d0 -c2 -f S24_LE -r 96000 -twav -D hw:2,0 >testwav.wav
      Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
      arecord: set_params:1343: Sample format non available
      Available formats:
      - S16_LE
      - S24_3LE
      So I tried
      pi@hifireader:~ $ arecord -d0 -c2 -f S24_3LE -r 96000 -twav -D hw:2,0 >testwav.wav
      Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
      ^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
      And the DAC is very happy with that file, well detected as 96k, upnp connected

Then I put the format S24_3LE in place of S24_LE in the file custom_convert.com and it works fine through WaveInput

Thanks again, I could not succeed without your help.

Comment

• bpa
        • Oct 2005

Good that it is all working now at higher spec.
        Trouble with PCM streams, there is usually one only right combination - glad you were patient and your persistence was rewarded.

Comment

• Samme
          • Jan 2014

Hi everyone!

Sooo, this was a bit of a jungle, alsa, pulseaudio and what not. I used to run the Liquidsoap/Icecast-setup on a Raspberry, but now I've transitioned away from that since I got at bigger and better computer left over.

Anyways, it's running Linux Mint 21.3, which in turn runs Pulseaudio as far as I understand.I hooked up a physical mixer (with tape decks, vinyl etc) to my line in on the computer and whatever I feed it with can plays on all my devices, very good! Just like before when I had the Liquidsoap/Icecast-solution.

I've tried to catch up on everything written in this thread, but haven't really figured it out anyway. So I'm supposed to be able to pick up sound from programs on the computer itself as well? That would be great, then I could stream from Youtube Music directly to all clients...but how do I get it to pick up anything else than what's fed to the actual line in port?

Or...have I totally misunderstood everything?

Comment

• bpa
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Samme
            I've tried to catch up on everything written in this thread, but haven't really figured it out anyway. So I'm supposed to be able to pick up sound from programs on the computer itself as well? That would be great, then I could stream from Youtube Music directly to all clients...but how do I get it to pick up anything else than what's fed to the actual line in port?

Or...have I totally misunderstood everything?
            Waveinput is the plugin of last resort.

The plugin does nothing except feed a PCM audio stream into LMS.

Normally this audio stream is a hardware audio Input such as line-in or Mic. These will be easy fto find Alsa or Pulseaudio devices.

If you want to copy up audio from other programs and feed it into LMS, then you need to find the right ALSA / Pulseaudio device.
            You have a complex setup. This plugin will not help you find that device - that exploration may belong in a separate topic as it it could be a long digression
            When you find that device and with that device you can do an "arecord" (or "parcord") and save the audio sample in a file, then you are ready to try WaveInput and LMS.

The usual starting point are
            (i) for an ALSA system - check out dsnoop devices.
            (ii) for a PulseAudio system - check out monitor devices of audio output devices (e.g. if you have a desktop try out pavucontrol)

Last edited by bpa; 2024-04-10, 13:01. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...