Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Unles I have misunderstood this completely sudo is NOT "a temporary log in as root". It let's you execute a command as another user, MOST COMMONLY as root.
    From sudo man page:
    (...)
    -u

The -u (user) option causes sudo to run the specified command as a user other than root.
    (...)
    However, bpa might still have a point, but I'm totaly stuck on how to practicaly DO this. Squeezecenter seems to run under the user "squeezecenter", but I can't get my system to allow login to this account. I've given it a password, changed standard shell from /bin/false to /bin/bash and even added the user to all the groups that my main user account is a member of; still no luck. If I try to log in as "squeezecenter" I just get a message that "the system administrator has disabled your account". After setting the shell to /bin/bash I don't get this message, but I'm just thrown out in a fraction of a seccond.

(And still I can't see why it should even make a difference from running it with the "sudo -u" command.) I have no .asoundrc file on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by johanneswh View Post
    Unles I have misunderstood this completely sudo is NOT "a temporary log in as root". It let's you execute a command as another user, MOST COMMONLY as root.

However, bpa might still have a point, but I'm totaly stuck on how to practicaly DO this. Squeezecenter seems to run under the user "squeezecenter", but I can't get my system to allow login to this account. I've given it a password, changed standard shell from /bin/false to /bin/bash and even added the user to all the groups that my main user account is a member of; still no luck. If I try to log in as "squeezecenter" I just get a message that "the system administrator has disabled your account". After setting the shell to /bin/bash I don't get this message, but I'm just thrown out in a fraction of a seccond.

(And still I can't see why it should even make a difference from running it with the "sudo -u" command.) I have no .asoundrc file on my system.
    Ok, sorry I wasn't helping I'll get my coat.
    Transporter or Cyrus streamX>CyrusDACXP>ESPAudio P09B Active filter>Cyrus X x 2>Rhapsody, Avondale and Naim cable, Kubuntu 16.10 server, various boxes for storage.
    SB3 Flycatcher 3A linear power supply. Touch also.
    Using SqueezeBoxServer (LMS) 7.9
    Also piCorePlayer>Rega DAC>B4>Avondale 260>Royd Eden Kubuntu 14.10
    also naim 32.5>hicap>140>Akroyd Coniston

Alternative approach.

The following steps will enable the output from ecasound to be seen including error messages.

1. Edit the custom-convert.conf file and remove the "-q" from the ecasound lines.

2. Get a shell prompt (e.g. Open a console window). Set the console window size to be say 300 chars wide and 3000 lines down.

3. CD to the server directory of your SC installation.

4. Type ./slimserver.pl when in the server directory and SC should start. Depending on the installation and permissions you may need to have additional parameters such as user and prefsdir such as
    ./slimserver.pl --user squeezecenteruser --prefsdir /etc/scprefs

5. Set logging player.source to INFO.

6. Start the WaveInput such as by using Tune-in to wavin:default or playing a predefined Favorite

7. Output from logging and ecasound should appear on console.

8. After sufficient logging has been output - Stop SC and copy log message from "./slimserver.pl" to shutdown.

Successful ecsasound output from start to shutdown will look something like
    Code:
    asuslinux:/home/repos/slim/7.2/trunk/server> ./slimserver.pl
    [08-09-08 22:32:34.6863] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::enablePlugins (406) Couldn't load Slim::Plugin::PreventStandby::Plugin. Error: Plugin is incompatible with your platform.
    [* Session created *]
    [* Chainsetup created (cmdline) *]
    (eca-chainsetup-parser) Using double-buffer of 100000 sample frames.
    (eca-chainsetup-parser) Setting buffersize to (samples) 4096.
    [* Connecting chainsetup *]
    (eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
    (audioio_alsa) Warning! Period-size differs from current client buffersize.
    (eca-chainsetup) Audio object "alsa", mode "read".
    (audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
    (audioio-raw) Outputting to standard output [rw].
    (eca-chainsetup) Audio object "stdout", mode "read/write".
    (audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
    [* Chainsetup connected *]
    (eca-control-objects) Connected chainsetup:  "command-line-setup".
    [* Controller/Starting batch processing *]
    [* Engine init - Driver start *]
    (eca-engine) WARNING: An output object has raised an error! Possible causes: Out of disk space, permission denied, unable to launch external applications needed in processing, etc.
    [* Controller/Batch processing finished (-3) *]
    ecasound: Warning! Errors detected during processing.
    (eca-control-objects) Disconnecting chainsetup:  "command-line-setup".
    [* Chainsetup disconnected *]
    asuslinux:/home/repos/slim/7.2/trunk/server>

Solved.

I had forgotten to try stopping and starting SC after adding user squeezcenter to group audio.

For future reference:
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G audio squeezecenter
    Thanks for all help!

Great plugin but needs some updates to work with Squeezencenter 7.3x

Great plugins but needs to be updated for Squeezecenter 7.3x due to changes in core libraries.

In particular it seems IsRemote and getCovertCommand are no longer available in their 7.2 format... See server.log extract below...

[08-12-24 21:02:58.0558] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1889) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Commands:laylistJumpCommand]: [Undefined subroutine &Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertComman d called at /usr/share/squeezecenter/Plugins/WaveInput/WAVIN.pm line 31.

[08-12-24 20:39:51.3005] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1889) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Queries::statusQuery]: [Can't locate object method "isRemote" via package "Plugins::WaveInput::WAVIN" at /usr/share/
    perl5/Slim/Player/Song.pm line 579.

It's already updated - use the Extension Downloader plugin.

Paste this address into the repository list in Settings/Plugin/Extension Downloader/settings.
    http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo.xml

WaveInput for Linux will be one of the plugins listed.

Thank you.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Best Christmas gift I got this year
    I had totally missed that new feature for updating plugins. Got the latest version and now all is working fine.
    Thank you again for the great plugins. In particular I am a big fan of NPRradio and WaveInput...
    I would vote to put these 2 in the "recommended list" -- but I am not sure who is deciding what is recommended...

There is a SC problem with playlist and NPRRadio highlights the problem. I've logged the bug and hopefully there'll be a fix in 7.3.2.

Jack with Wave Input

Has anyone tried wave Input with Jack. I have some audio tools that connect with Jack and I thought it might be fun to run them through squeezecenter into my Boom.

Tom Brooke

Is there a simple way to install WaveInput v1.03 on my PPC with OS 10.4?

I have to admit that I'm far away from being an expert. On Windows it worked out of the box but here...

EDIT: Just found this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...=waveinput+mac.

So the answer seems to be "no"... :-(

EDIT2: I won't give up that fast ;-)

I have just compiled ecasound on OSX. Will that work?

Any idea what to do next?
    Last edited by Quad; 2009-02-12 at 14:09.