Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to lower output level DAC the audiophile way.

Recently I bought a Lite DAC-AH. I like it a lot more than the internal DAC of my SB2. My problem is that the output level of the Lite DAC is so high that I have difficulties using the volume button on my amplifier. What is the best audiophile way to lower the output level of my DAC?
    SqueezeboxServer 7.5.1 on Qnap TS-119.
    3x Squeezebox2, 1 Squeezebox Classic, 2x BOOM - excellent sound!, One little RED Radio

Last.FM

Is it possible that you at least partly prefer the sound of your external DAC precisely because it has a higher volume output compared to the SB DAC ? It wouldn't be the first time increased volume was perceived as increased audio quality.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Use an attenuator - you can get RCA plugs that knock off 10dB, say. Use the SB volume to suss out the right amount of attenuation, then buy that value, or close.
    SB3, Dac-in-the-Box, Sony VFET, Snell Type Cs
    Boom x 2, Radio

I was more thinking of putting in some resistors in the line out. But do these affect the sound quality?
    3x Squeezebox2, 1 Squeezebox Classic, 2x BOOM - excellent sound!, One little RED Radio

Last.FM

How to lower output level DAC theaudiophile way.

Amauta wrote:
    > I was more thinking of putting in some resistors in the line out. But do
    > these affect the sound quality?

An attenuator is just a voltage divider circuit made of resistors. If
    they are well matched, they just reduce the voltage output.

Since humans always think that louder music is better, at some level, it
    will impact sound quality.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Amauta View Post
    I was more thinking of putting in some resistors in the line out. But do these affect the sound quality?
    You'd better hope not, your DAC has got lots of them in it, not to mention your amp
    Last edited by andynormancx; 2008-06-24 at 11:53.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Quote Originally Posted by Amauta View Post
    Recently I bought a Lite DAC-AH. I like it a lot more than the internal DAC of my SB2. My problem is that the output level of the Lite DAC is so high that I have difficulties using the volume button on my amplifier. What is the best audiophile way to lower the output level of my DAC?
    May I ask what is your amplifier ?
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Harman/Kardon HK6650R, not that it can't handle the input. I prefer to have more angle to graduate the volume. Now when it is 1/4 open, the volume is already too high for me.
    Last edited by Amauta; 2008-06-24 at 12:08.

Last.FM

(I've been using AV amplifiers for soo long, i almost forgot that you can't change input sensitivity on HiFi amps^^)

I agree with the previous : you need an attenuator, although I'm not sure it won't affect signal quality. Well, at least they're not expensive.
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    (I've been using AV amplifiers for soo long, i almost forgot that you can't change input sensitivity on HiFi amps^^)

I agree with the previous : you need an attenuator, although I'm not sure it won't affect signal quality. Well, at least they're not expensive.
    Look - at line level, a simple resistor network to reduce volume will NOT impact audio quality.
    You can use the Rothwell attenuators or make your own if you can solder(it's really simple).
    Even if you use the worlds most expensive resistors - vishay for example - (no point at this this signal level) making your own is cheaper and more satisfying.

However even the cheapest carbon resistors will sound fine.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.