Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 209 1231151101 ... LastLast

Announce: New beta version of Server Power Control

This is beta release 20120427.163654 of the SrvrPowerCtrl plugin.

It can be installed via the Extension Downloader. Just add:

http://srvrpowerctrl.googlecode.com/svn/beta.xml

..to the SBS Settings->Plugins list of 'Additional Repositories'. If you'd rather install manually, you may directly download the zipfile from here: http://srvrpowerctrl.googlecode.com/...rCtrl_beta.zip

Changes since the last update:

• On Linux systems, SrvrPowerCtrl can now optionally schedule system wake-ups for root crontab events.
    • Linux setup scripts now more flexible about LMS/SBS service account names (in anticipation of changes that should happen in LMS.)
    • Support for block files in /run/lock for Fedora 15/16, Ubuntu 11.10, etc.
    • Tested with LMS 7.8, svn 33939 and perl v5.12.4 on Ubuntu server 11.10.
    • Tested with LMS 7.1.1, svn 33718 and perl v5.14.2 on Fedora 16.

Features include:
    • Idle monitoring now includes network i/o, and on linux and OSX computers, disk and CPU load monitoring as well.
    • Automatic 'push players on shutdown' feature can now push players to alternate servers in addition to mysqueezebox.com. E.g., push your players onto a SBTouch running 'tinysc'!
    • Now allows an unlimited number of custom commands to be defined.
    • Full support for the SBTouch and SBRadio.
    • Shutdown/restart/suspend/hibernate your SqueezeBox Server computer via your SqueezeBox’s IR remote, a Squeezebox Controller, iPeng or via the SBS web interface.
    • Execute custom scripts via the same.
    • Optionally switch players to MySqueezebox.com when shutting down/suspending/etc. Automatically fetches your players back to your local server on wakeup.
    • Wait until sleep playing has concluded before shutdown/suspend/etc.
    • Monitor attached players and shutdown the server after an idle period.
    • Automatic server wake up for SqueezeBox alarms or scheduled library scans.

This plugin has been tested with Squeezebox Server 7.6.2 and Logitech Media Server 7.8 running on Ubuntu 11.10 and Fedora 16 and with Squeezebox Server 7.6.0 on OSX 10.6.6 and Windows 7. It ought to work (perhaps with some fiddling) on other linux distros as well. Setup scripts for OSX, and Debian and Redhat derived distros are included in the download. See the plugin's settings page for a link to detailed setup instructions.

Downloads:
    SrvrPowerCtrl can be installed using Squeezebox Server's Plugin Downloader. Copy this link: http://srvrpowerctrl.googlecode.com/svn/beta.xml and paste it into the list of 'Additional Repositories' on the SBS Settings->Plugins page.

Other associated utilities are all available at the project page: http://code.google.com/p/srvrpowerctrl/downloads/list

Requirements:
    • For windows based servers, the plugin requires the SCPowerTool free utility available from the project download page: http://srvrpowerctrl.googlecode.com/...ool_latest.zip
    • For OSX based servers, the plugin requires the 'sudo', 'shutdown' and 'pmset' commands.
    • For linux based servers, the plugin requires the 'sudo' and 'shutdown' commands and the ‘pm-utils’ package to support suspending and hibernation.

I've slacked off on active development of these plugins. Anyone is free to fork these projects with my blessing. (Not that you need my blessing, all the code is GPL.) See: http://code.google.com/p/srvrpowerctrl/source/checkout for instructions for downloading the code via svn.

I'll continue to make the plugin available for a while yet via the beta repository. Please be forewarned that NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER will be supplied to users of these plugins. Though this is the first post in a very, very long thread, I'll no longer be monitoring this. Sorry.

Thanks,

Gordon Harris
    Last edited by gharris999; 2012-04-27 at 13:39.

After reading the readme file I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the program. This shuts down the entire system not just squeezecenter on the server machine, correct? Is there something that enables a person to shut down squeezecenter and restart it thru the squeezebox remote? I use my laptop to add things to squeezecenter which is on a desktop about 14 ft away. Be nice to do a reboot of just squeezecenter and save all that precious energy. Hey I just turned 51, got to save what I can you know.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Announce: Beta version of SvrPowerControl

>Windows: does it work at all? I haven't had a chance to do much
    >testing.
    >

Haven't managed to get it to work so far:

[09:01:16.0686] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1329) Warning: [09:01:16.0681] Can't spawn "psshutdown.exe": No error at P:/Music/SlimServer/trunk/server/Plugins/SrvrPowerCtrl/Plugin.pm line 396.

psshutdown.exe is in path within the system PATH env. I've been running psshutdown.exe via a .bat file called from the Execute plugin. I can run it direct from a cmd window.

If you don't already, you may want to use the -accepteula option.

I run SqueezeCenter from the source code as a service. Maybe the service doesn't pick up the PATH env?

Phil: I see from the log entry that you have the plugin installed to the correct location for your setup. I don't mention using the plugin when running from the svn code in the readme. For other folks running from the svn code, remember that user plugins still need to be installed to ...\server\Plugins. I imagine that most folks tech-savvy enough to run from svn will know this.

Are you comfortable with editing the plugin code? If so, try adding full paths to psshutdown.exe in the system calls in doSystemShutdwonWin. See if that makes a difference. I don't know if the perl system call is "path" aware or not. I had assumed that it was.

And thanks for -accepteula.
    Last edited by gharris999; 2008-06-05 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonreality View Post
    After reading the readme file I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the program. This shuts down the entire system not just squeezecenter on the server machine, correct? Is there something that enables a person to shut down squeezecenter and restart it thru the squeezebox remote? I use my laptop to add things to squeezecenter which is on a desktop about 14 ft away. Be nice to do a reboot of just squeezecenter and save all that precious energy. Hey I just turned 51, got to save what I can you know.
    I think that there is, in fact, a way to do this. I had worked out a method a couple of years ago involving the execute script plugin and adding a one-time event to the windows task scheduler. It was a horrible kludge, but it worked.

I've done some more work on this plugin. It should be working with both linux and Windows XP now. Also, the "Shutdown/Hibernate to SqueezeNetwork" functions are working with all player types, including SBRs.

Please see the updated attached zip in the first post in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...28&postcount=1

So far, I have tried the "hibernate & switch to SN" option and it works fine in Windows XP. The "Readme" file states, "This plugin allows you to shutdown or restart your SqueezeCenter server, etc." I don't see how I can restart the hibernating server using your plugin because the only option available is the usual "Switch to SC" followed by "Waking up SC". This is a WOL action which I have never been able to get to work on my computer. Even if it is not possible to restart with the remote, your plugin saves one trip upstairs! Thanks.

By "restart" I mean reboot a running server. I didn't think a "Reboot to SqueezeNetwork" option made much sense, so I didn't include it.

Re not getting WOL to work on your computer:

Have you set your BIOS to wake up on pci events? There ought to be an option to select this in your BIOS setup under the power management section.

Have you set the WOL properties of the network adapter using the windows device manager? In the properties for your network adapter, select the "Power Management" tab and make sure the following entries are checked:

[X] Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby.
    [X] Only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby.

If your machine/nic supports WOL, then it ought to work like this:

Do a "Shutdown to Squeeze Network" and let the player switch to SN and let the server turn itself off. Play some content from SN. Then, using the remote, navigate to "Connect to SqueezeCenter". The player will sign off from SN and try to connect to your (turned off) server. When it gives up after a few seconds, press the power button on the remote. That should send a WOL packet and wake up your server. At least that's how it works for me with my server & Transporter & SB3.
    Last edited by gharris999; 2008-06-18 at 19:46.

Yeah, it occurred to me after submitting my reply that "restart" probably meant "reboot".
    Thanks for the tips on the WOL matter. The key feature I seem to be missing is an option in my bios setup to handle a pci event. It looks to me like HP never implemented this despite the "magic packet" capability of the NIC per the manufacturer specifications for the device. Judging from the many posts in this forum on this issue, it appears that this is a common omission.

Quote Originally Posted by raglencross View Post
    The key feature I seem to be missing is an option in my bios setup to handle a pci event. It looks to me like HP never implemented this[...]
    I'm surprised. How old is your system? I thought almost all BIOSs on PCs produced since 2002 or so supported this. I'd encourage you to keep experimenting with different BIOS settings. Is your NIC a separate pci card or is it a "built onto the motherboard" type?

Before the "pci event" method became the common means of supporting WOL, some manufacturers included a two wire connector on the motherboard that would get connected to a similar connector on the NIC. Perhaps your board has this feature. If it does, you might be able to find an older 3Com 100Tx card with this sort of connector cheaply on ebay.

I feel your pain. Life's just no damn good without WOL.