Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Netgear Powerline and circuit breakers

Anyone using HDX101? I just spoke to NetGear's tech support who said these will not work across a circuit breaker. I find reports of people who have set these up across circuit breakers.

The product info says:
    --Turns any electrical power outlet into a network connection
    --Outlets must be electrically connected in order for Powerline devices to provide a network connection between them.

This would lead me to believe that the circuits contained in every US house would not be a problem. From talking to Tech Support, this product will not work across ANY circuit breaker. True or not? Is Netgear just conveniently withholding this information and some people have been lucky?

I've got a new Duet upstairs that I know works fine as I configured it in the same room with the wireless router and then took upstairs. The signal keeps cutting in and out. I bought the Powerline adaptor as it seemed an "easy" solution. Boy, was I wrong.

I was wondering about the whole "other side of a circuit breaker" thing when I installed a couple of these at home (I'm originally from the UK where things are wired differently). This thread explained it pretty well to me, as well as the solution should you have the problem:

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-co...ion-10634.html

i use the xe101's and they work flawlessly but I'm not going across circuit breakers.

I'm pretty sure someone else here on the forum had a solution for bridging circuit breakers. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Anyone using HDX101? I just spoke to NetGear's tech support who said these will not work across a circuit breaker. I find reports of people who have set these up across circuit breakers.

The product info says:
    --Turns any electrical power outlet into a network connection
    --Outlets must be electrically connected in order for Powerline devices to provide a network connection between them.

This would lead me to believe that the circuits contained in every US house would not be a problem. From talking to Tech Support, this product will not work across ANY circuit breaker. True or not? Is Netgear just conveniently withholding this information and some people have been lucky?

I've got a new Duet upstairs that I know works fine as I configured it in the same room with the wireless router and then took upstairs. The signal keeps cutting in and out. I bought the Powerline adaptor as it seemed an "easy" solution. Boy, was I wrong.
    I have 3 HDX101's and circuit breaker's installed. I run it from down stairs to upstairs to watch movies (so needs a fast connection) and it works fine for me. Worth making sure you get the latest firmware into them as that made a big difference to the speed.

Also worth noting that i went round the house putting in surge protection on most of the sockets as these go some way to prevent you sending google to your hairdryer and stop noise on your ringmain

The issue regarding circuit breakers is that the signal will not cross the panel from one phase to the other (standard US wiring configuration). If all of the electrical outlets are on one side of the panel, there should be no issue. If not, the problem is fairly easily solved.

For some solutions, see my previous post in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...&highlight=x10