Step-by-step Installation on LinkStation Pro

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chalkandtalk
    • Apr 2008

I got round the renaming of the modules by renaming them .old and deleting.

So I have purged SBserver and started again:

root@Station1:/usr/src# dpkg -i squeezeboxserver_7.4.1_all.deb.1
    Selecting previously deselected package squeezeboxserver.
    (Reading database ... 34702 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking squeezeboxserver (from squeezeboxserver_7.4.1_all.deb.1) ...
    Setting up squeezeboxserver (7.4.1) ...
    Adding system user `squeezeboxserver' (UID 107) ...
    Adding new user `squeezeboxserver' (UID 107) with group `nogroup' ...
    Not creating home directory `/usr/share/squeezeboxserver'.
    Making sure that Squeezebox Server is not running first: No squeezeboxserve found running; none killed.
    Starting Squeezebox Server.
    root@Station1:/usr/src# apt-get -f install
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    root@Station1:/usr/src#

However, still the same old problem. Doh

Comment

• bluegaspode
      • Jul 2009

Then I'm afraid I am of no help anymore about how to make the second command work
      Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
      Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
      Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
      Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Comment

• chalkandtalk
        • Apr 2008

Thanks for all the help Bluegaspode. I very much appreciate your time and efforts.

I'll keep searching.......

Comment

• parsifal9
          • Apr 2008

Hi Forum,

I am in the much the same position as chalkandtalk. I have run
          $ dpkg -i squeezeboxserver_7.4.1_all.deb
          $apt-get -f install
          apt-get -f install
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree... Done
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

I am meant to have added something to /etc/apt/sources.list to get
          this to install the missing dependencies?

$/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server --debug=server

The following modules failed to load: DBI DBD::mysql EV XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser JSON::XS YAML::Syck GD Sub::Name

I have downloaded buildme.sh? but where do I run it? This is what I am getting

$ sh buildme.sh
          Building for Linux / arm-linux-thread-multi
          Building with Perl 5.8.x at /usr/bin/perl5.8.8
          tar: Audio-Scan-0.61.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
          tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
          tar: Child returned status 2
          tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
          buildme.sh: line 100: cd: Audio-Scan-0.61: No such file or directory
          cp: cannot stat `../hints': No such file or directory
          Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory
          make: *** No rule to make target `test'. Stop.
          make test failed, aborting

Bye
          parsifal9

Comment

• MattW
            • Nov 2006

Hello parsifal9,

7.4 is a pig to build, be prepared to work through a lot or errors and install additional modules. 7.3.nn is a far easier version to install and I recommend you try this route rather than 7.4.

However, the 7.4 buildme.sh script will build these modules:
            Audio::Scan
            AutoXS::Header
            Class::C3::XS
            Class::XSAccessor
            Class::XSAccessor::Array
            Compress::Raw::Zlib
            DBI
            DBD::mysql
            Digest::SHA1
            EV
            Encode:: Detect
            GD
            HTML::Parser
            JSON::XS
            Locale::Hebrew
            Sub::Name
            Template
            XML::Parser
            YAML::Syck
            You will need to have downloaded the correct files from the http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/sli...nk/vendor/CPAN directory and placed them into your working directory.

For example, as root do the following:

\/---Snip---\/

cd /usr/src
            mkdir workingdir
            cd workingdir
            <<download files, including buildme.sh, and place in this directory (/usr/src/workingdir)>>
            chmod 755 ./buildme.sh
            ./buildme.sh

/\---Snip---/\

Watch and wait for errors, the actual directory where things are compiled will be /usr/src/workingdir/build.

For each error you need to look and see if it's a compilation error or a missing dependancy. Dependancies will require you to download and install the missing modules manually (apt-get install or use CPAN). Compilation error may also be missing modules or something wrong with the module versions you already have installed.

If by some miracle it all compiles and installs then try running squeezecenter. It will most probably fail with an "Array.so" error - this is related to the Class:: modules - unfortunately I can't recall what I did to fix this but do remember is took me quite a while to work it out.

After building 7.4 I decided I had veered too far away from the svn version builds and had probably made it very difficult to upgrade later on so I reverted back to a clean svn upgrade to 7.3 from 7.0 base install.

I hope that helps,

matt

Edit: This is from memory so check each step carefully in case I've missed anything.
            Last edited by MattW; 2010-03-12, 12:13.
            ---
            Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Comment

• parsifal9
              • Apr 2008

Hi MattW,

thanks for all that!

1) I will take your advice and try 7.3.4. This doesn't have a build.sh
              but uses build-perl-modules.pl . I have done the following steps
              (listed below) until I get to the final error

2) I am the guy who has the problem following your "clean svn upgrade
              to 7.3 from 7.0 base install" path. I am still working on this, trying
              to get some useful information. However when I do something that
              triggers the surge in squeezecenter CPU usage, there is no accompanying
              error messages

Bye
              parsifal9

# here is what I did.
              $dpkg -i squeezecenter_7.3.4~28402_all.deb
              $apt-get -f install # did nothing
              $/etc/init.d/squeezecenter stop
              The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql DBI HTML::Parser JSON::XS Compress::Zlib YAML::Syck
              $/usr/share/squeezecenter/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql DBI HTML::Parser JSON::XS Compress::Zlib YAML::Syck
              # all compile OK

Can't locate loadable object for module Encode:etect:etector in

$ /usr/share/squeezecenter/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl Encode:etect
              #builds OK

[10-03-12 23:53:42.6892] main::init (270) Starting SqueezeCenter (v7.3.4, r28402, Tue Sep 22 03:02:56 PDT 2009)
              [10-03-12 23:53:42.7983] main::init (287) SqueezeCenter OS Specific init...
              [10-03-12 23:53:42.8058] main::init (331) SqueezeCenter settings effective user and group if requested...
              [10-03-12 23:53:42.8142] Slim::bootstrap::theEND (421) Got to the END
              [10-03-12 23:53:42.8211] Slim::bootstrap::sigint (385) Got sigint
              [10-03-12 23:53:42.8286] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (288) Error: Can't find source for MetaInformation
              [10-03-12 23:53:42.8378] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (288) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema.pm line 288)
              frame 1: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 150)
              frame 2: DBIx::Class::Schema::source (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 190)
              frame 3: DBIx::Class::Schema::resultset (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema.pm line 602)
              frame 4: Slim::Schema::single (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 658)
              frame 5: Slim::Music::Import::stillScanning (/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server line 997)
              frame 6: main::cleanup (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/bootstrap.pm line 389)
              frame 7: Slim::bootstrap::sigint (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/bootstrap.pm line 423)
              frame 8: Slim::bootstrap::theEND (/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server line 1053)
              frame 9: main::END (/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server line 0)
              frame 10: (eval) (/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server line 0)

Comment

• aubuti
                • Oct 2005

If you're feeling a little brave you could try leapfrogging to 7.5.0-embedded. This thread describes how to do it on a LinkStation Pro using SSODS/SSOXX: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=75753 .

Despite many attempts I was never able to get my LSPro to run anything more recent than SC 7.3.2, but now it's running 7.5.0-embedded nicely. An advantage of the embedded branch is that it uses SQLite as the database, which is advantageous for marginal hardware like the LSPro because it has a much smaller footprint than MySQL. Note that at present you'll need to use a slightly older build of 7.5.0-embedded (r30249, which is available via svn).
                Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
                Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
                Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
                Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
                Bedroom: SB Radio
                Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• MattW
                  • Nov 2006

Hello parsifal9,

Of course, I should have spotted the name and remembered that you were having performance problems.

Again, from memory of 7.3.n builds

[10-03-12 23:53:42.8286] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (288) Error: Can't find source for MetaInformation
                  [10-03-12 23:53:42.8378] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (288) Backtrace:
                  I think is an issue with permissions and perhaps a missing server.prefs file. Make sure you've run the chmod ... -R on the directories as specified in the upgrade and that you have a server.prefs file in /usr/src/squeezecenter/server/prefs.

You can start and stop squeeze manually by running /usr/src/squeezecenter/server/slimserver.pl --user=squeezecenter

(I personally don't use the service option, I just kick of the server directly from rc.local)

Let me know how that goes

matt
                  ---
                  Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Comment

• DrewSB
                    • Mar 2009

How is the performance of 7.4 and 7.5 beta on the LS Pro vs. the Sheevaplug? Is it very noticable?

Comment

Working...