Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

SqueezeCenter prevents hibernation on Synology Diskstation's

Hi,

The never ending story about hibernation on Synology Diskstations running SC has been followed by great interest from me. I dislike very, very, very (etc.) much that I can hear the disk spinning in my DS107+ when I expect it should not ! I would expect it had spin down approx. 10 minutes after I powered off my Squeezebox. But no, as long as SC not has been stopped, the disk spins.

I have discovered that if I go into the SSODS control panel "Status" and select "Stop", then after 10 minutes the DS will "hibernate" or more correctly the disk will spin down. So now I know that the "hibernation" feature on the DS works !

But why does it not work when SC has been started without being used ? I thought that SC must in some way never sleep, so I tried to figure out if SC actually not are "sleeping" when I expect it to do. By using the logging feature in the Settings menu, I now have discoverd that SC never sleeps, in the Server log the following trace info appears every ―-1 second:

[08-04-02 11:38:21.0123] Slim::Utils::Timers::setTimer (384) [norm] Set Slim::Networking::Slimproto::check_all_clients, in 4.99143099784851 seconds
    [08-04-02 11:38:21.0068] Slim::Utils::Timers::checkTimers (191) [norm] firing Slim::Networking::Slimproto::check_all_clients 0.0026700496673584 late.

I don't understand what above means, but I guess it shows that SC constantly are waiting for a client (SB) to connect, and therefore never sleeps.

Can anyone reading this, explain if the above could be the reason for the missing "hibernation/disk spin down on Synology Diskstation's ?

I'am running SqueezeCenter 7.0-17793 installed and operated by SSODS release 3.0beta8 on my Synology DS107+ with firmware 0590.

Best regards,
    Poul Agerbek

I struggle with the exact same "issues" - Any assistance would be highly appreciated..

/HC

Quote Originally Posted by HCNinDK View Post
    I struggle with the exact same "issues" - Any assistance would be highly appreciated..

/HC
    Same for me,
    DS207+ hibernate when SC7 is not running,
    no hibernation when SC7 running.
    Never ending story !
    SqueezeBoxServer 7.9 / ReadyNas Pro (x86) | SBTouch - SB3 - Duet - Boom - Ipeng
    SBTouch => Rega DAC => Rega Brio R amp => Harbeth SLH5 speakers
    see details & photos here, 4 slides

Downgraded to SlimServer 6.5.1

Hi,

Now I have gone some steps backward: I have uninstalled SqueezeCenter 7.0 and installed SlimServer 6.5.1. And now the fan and hard disk spinns down when expected !

Why does it work, I don't know. But I have done some research, and I'am sure that the SB must be disconnected from the Slimserver (done by connecting the SB to Squeezenetwork). Furthermore I have disabled (unchecked) all modules in Server Settings, Modules except "Random Mix" and "Save Playlist". Now when I get up in the morning, the DS107+ is still sleeping like a baby :-)

Best regards,
    Poul Agerbek

Quote Originally Posted by agerbek View Post
    Hi,

Now I have gone some steps backward: I have uninstalled SqueezeCenter 7.0 and installed SlimServer 6.5.1. And now the fan and hard disk spinns down when expected !

Why does it work, I don't know. But I have done some research, and I'am sure that the SB must be disconnected from the Slimserver (done by connecting the SB to Squeezenetwork). Furthermore I have disabled (unchecked) all modules in Server Settings, Modules except "Random Mix" and "Save Playlist". Now when I get up in the morning, the DS107+ is still sleeping like a baby :-)

Best regards,
    Poul Agerbek
    Hi Poul!

I tried to install SSODS 2.19 (after removing SSODS 3.0), however upon completion of the installation, SSODS does not respond on the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/9090 or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/9099 or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/SSODS, which is why I was forced to re-install SSODS 3.0.

Have you (and is it at all possible) installed SlimServer 6.5.1 on SSODS 3.0??

If you could briefly write the steps of your downgrade, it will most certainly be of assistance

Thanks and regards,

Hans

Hi,

Why does it work, I don't know.
    Poul, did you compared 7.0 VS 6.5.1 memory usage ?

One hypothesis would be hibernation is not possible with 7.0 because there is more memory swap (disk activity). Confirmation ?

Regards

Volpone
    SqueezeBoxServer 7.9 / ReadyNas Pro (x86) | SBTouch - SB3 - Duet - Boom - Ipeng
    SBTouch => Rega DAC => Rega Brio R amp => Harbeth SLH5 speakers
    see details & photos here, 4 slides

I have the same problem with DS107+ not going to sleep after moving from FW4/SS6.4.1/SSODS 2. to FW590/SC7/SSODS3.
    All plug in are disabled

:-(

L.

Quote Originally Posted by HCNinDK View Post
    Hi Poul!

I tried to install SSODS 2.19 (after removing SSODS 3.0), however upon completion of the installation, SSODS does not respond on the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/9090 or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/9099 or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/SSODS, which is why I was forced to re-install SSODS 3.0.

Have you (and is it at all possible) installed SlimServer 6.5.1 on SSODS 3.0??

If you could briefly write the steps of your downgrade, it will most certainly be of assistance

Thanks and regards,

Hans
    Hi Hans,

First I uninstalled SC 7.0 which originally was installed with SSODS 3.0beta5 . Then I uninstalled SSODS 3.0beta5. After downloading SSODS 2.19 and Slimserver 6.5.1, I installed SSODS 2.19. But I was not able to get into SSODSīs GUI neither via port 9090 nor via port 9099. So off with 2.19 and on again with SSODS 3.0. Now I was able to install SS 6.5.1, so yes it is possible to install SS 6.5.1 with SSODS 3.0.

Best regards,
    Poul Agerbek

Quote Originally Posted by volpone View Post
    Poul, did you compared 7.0 VS 6.5.1 memory usage ?

One hypothesis would be hibernation is not possible with 7.0 because there is more memory swap (disk activity). Confirmation ?

Regards

Volpone
    Hi Volpone,

No, I forgot to save the Status info from SSODS with SC 7.0, but with SS 6.5.1 it looks like this:

*** System ***
    Hard-/Firmware : Synology Inc. Disk Station 107+ / 2.0.3-0590 (2008/03/12)
    Load / Uptime : 0.00 0.00 0.00 / 1d 22.18:39 (100% idle)
    Memory / Swap : 118(0+2+25+91)/124 MB / 24/384 MB

*** SlimServer ***
    Version : 6.5.1-11206
    Process status : PID 2973, state S (sleeping)
    Memory usage : 56 MB total, 49 MB (87%) RSS
    Uptime : 1d-21:40:39, 01:30 (0.0%) CPU time

*** MySQL ***
    Version : 5.0.51
    Database size : 45M
    Process status : PID 3064, state S (sleeping)
    Memory usage : 43 MB total, 16 MB (39%) RSS
    Uptime : 1d-21:40:30, 00:31 (0.0%) CPU time

I canīt confirm if itīs because of a higher memory usage which result in some more swapping, maybe others can ?

Best regards,
    Poul Agerbek

Hi Hans,

First I uninstalled SC 7.0 which originally was installed with SSODS 3.0beta5 . Then I uninstalled SSODS 3.0beta5. After downloading SSODS 2.19 and Slimserver 6.5.1, I installed SSODS 2.19. But I was not able to get into SSODSīs GUI neither via port 9090 nor via port 9099. So off with 2.19 and on again with SSODS 3.0. Now I was able to install SS 6.5.1, so yes it is possible to install SS 6.5.1 with SSODS 3.0.

Best regards,
    Poul Agerbek

Hi Poul, thanks for your reply. I tried same procedure (serveral times), and upon trying to start slimserver, it stops with an error "invalid version of slimcenter" (or equivalent).

I guess I have to settle with starting and stopping slimcenter, and hope for a fix in future releases...

/Hans