Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I completely agree about the rejection of profanity.
    My only hope is that you will not delete posts that contain criticisms of Logitech kit - I have seen it happen on Microsoft, Apple and Logitech forums - once this starts to happen people usually leave.

Regards,

Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by gbruzzo View Post
    I completely agree about the rejection of profanity.
    My only hope is that you will not delete posts that contain criticisms of Logitech kit - I have seen it happen on Microsoft, Apple and Logitech forums - once this starts to happen people usually leave.

Regards,

Giacomo
    Totally agree.

But why can┤t offensive posts be deleted/moderated, rather than whole threads removed or locked? Sometimes it is uclear why action is being taken against a thread other than it being plain stupid and the boiler plate proposed is vague.

In the case of the Australia thread, if the thread was profane or insulting why not delete it? Why lock it?

Quote Originally Posted by James_B View Post
    Totally agree.

In the case of the Australia thread, if the thread was profane or insulting why not delete it? Why lock it?
    I guess that locking it is a way to make a point whilst retaining some of the good information that might have nevertheless been posted.

Quote Originally Posted by smc2911 View Post
    I...
    While posts can be edited (too late for those on mailing lists of course), is there any way that thread initiators could edit thread titles?
    From Edit page, there's a button 'Go Advance'. That takes you to the extended edit screen where the subject line is exposed.

BTW, I agree that the 'Australian' thread thread should have been split into two legitimate threads and kept alive.

K

Quote Originally Posted by slimkid View Post
    From Edit page, there's a button 'Go Advance'. That takes you to the extended edit screen where the subject line is exposed.
    But note that this will change it on the thread view, it won't change the subject line on the forum view (the one which shows all the threads).

At least on the vBulletin forums I've seen!
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Our Squeezebox community is growing rapidly, bringing new challenges and opportunities. As you may have noticed, we've recently started to moderate postings to the forums in response to the increasing number of threads that have violated one or more of the following guidelines:

* Profanity: This post contains expletives or vulgar language. Please post in more friendly manner.
    * Personal attack: Insults or rude ad hominem arguments directed at another member are not permitted.
    * Troll / Flamebait: This post is worded in such a way as to evoke an emotional response, rather than to start a constructive dialogue.
    * Inappropriate subject: Please choose a non-inflammatory subject line which actually describes the subject matter of the thread.
    * Illegal content: This thread contains legally prohibited or copyrighted material.

While we all adjust to having a moderated forum, there may be times when a thread is closed that you believe shouldn't have been. We will gladly listen to constructive feedback and will reopen the thread if warranted. We will also be "fine tuning" our moderation style, as we find the balance that allows us to have useful forums while doing the smallest amount of editing and/or closing of threads as possible. Please bear with us as we get better at this task. We hope that this will keep the overall dialog healthy and productive.

Please note that we will not close or edit threads that criticize our products, as long as they do not violate the guidelines spelled out above.
    Do moderators have a position on sexism in posts? I just wonder when i see the WAF / women can't operate electronics / pick music -remarks come up again and again.

I know it is a hard line to draw - but whilst some may well be offended by what they call "profane" language (and others are not), perhaps there are posts that make some areas of the demographic feel equally isolated whilst seeming normal - even amusing - to the rest.

Do moderators have a position on sexism in posts? I just wonder when i see the WAF / women can't operate electronics / pick music -remarks come up again and again.
    My wife has good taste in music but also possesses the "touch of death" on technology. Am I implying anything about gender? Not at all, nor would I ever dare. Do repeated observations say anything about the nature of reality? They do not (Hume's problem of induction). Do I like to tease her on the matter? I sure do...

I personally feel the moderating categories are broad enough...
    Bear in mind that there is one volume plug-in that would fall under your axe...

Regards,

Giacomo

I know it is a hard line to draw - but whilst some may well be offended by what they call "profane" language (and others are not), perhaps there are posts that make some areas of the demographic feel equally isolated whilst seeming normal - even amusing - to the rest.
    And, though not so far on these forums, there is often also ageism when discussing technology.

Moderating the forums

danco wrote:
    > James_B;270335 Wrote:
    >
    >> Do moderators have a position on sexism in posts? I just wonder when i
    >> see the WAF / women can't operate electronics / pick music -remarks
    >> come up again and again.
    >>
    >> I know it is a hard line to draw - but whilst some may well be offended
    >> by what they call "profane" language (and others are not), perhaps there
    >> are posts that make some areas of the demographic feel equally isolated
    >> whilst seeming normal - even amusing - to the rest.
    >>

>
    > And, though not so far on these forums, there is often also ageism when
    > discussing technology.
    >

While we're at it: I found the guy posting as 'notanatheist' inflammatory

Regards,
    Peter (perhaps we're going a little too far here)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    danco wrote:
    > James_B;270335 Wrote:
    >
    >> Do moderators have a position on sexism in posts? I just wonder when i
    >> see the WAF / women can't operate electronics / pick music -remarks
    >> come up again and again.
    >>
    >> I know it is a hard line to draw - but whilst some may well be offended
    >> by what they call "profane" language (and others are not), perhaps there
    >> are posts that make some areas of the demographic feel equally isolated
    >> whilst seeming normal - even amusing - to the rest.
    >>

>
    > And, though not so far on these forums, there is often also ageism when
    > discussing technology.
    >

While we're at it: I found the guy posting as 'notanatheist' inflammatory

Regards,
    Peter (perhaps we're going a little too far here)
    Everything and anything you say can offend someone, somewhere! We just need a little commonsense, IMHO )

And the use of WAF isn't meant in a derogatory way, I don't think. It's probably a good thing that at least one adult member of the household has a grip on reality . . .