at the risk of annoying the hell out of the entire slim universe, i am curious at when the release of SC 7.0 is planned?
my understanding is that it is already well overdue.
i understand that this question may have no concrete answer, but can someone give an idea of when they think it will probably be out, and also a date at which (short of castastrophe) it absolutely will be out by?
i am trying to save myself daily trips to slim in the hopes its there as well as cap my eagerness to start using it.
(and thx but no beta 7.0 for me)
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Thread: irritating question
2008-02-12, 14:26 #1
2008-02-12, 14:41 #2
On the one hand, the release date has slipped from early January to late January to ??? On the other hand, SD has remained completely consistent about their statements on releasing SC7: when it is ready. If you don't want to try a beta, then I wouldn't think you would want to try a beta version with a 7.0 release label.
I saw last week that a number of bugs I had voted for have been pushed off to 7.0.1, which makes me think that they're closing in. If you can't wait to use SC7, but can't be bothered to check when it's released, you've got a dilemma.
2008-02-12, 15:44 #3---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
New: Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
2008-02-12, 16:11 #4
but the main deal is i just want to put it out of mind until there's a very good chance it will be out.
i do run beta, but i think running beta of 7.0 is not for me. i'd rather wait for a released (and supported) version with such a major change.
i think the community has been patient, as betas for 6.5.x stopped long ago. i'm just curious how much longer we're expected to be patient?
2008-02-12, 16:51 #5
If my experience with recent betas is any indication, I would say SC7 will be ready about 2 years after Duke Nukem Forever ships...
2008-02-13, 08:56 #6
- Join Date
- Oct 2005
7.0 has been in "testing", not "unstable" state for a week or so now. "Unstable" is the new 7.0.1. Other software projects would call 7.0 a release candidate rather than a beta at this point.
And in regards to "why do we have to wait so long" - well, there are pretty massive changes. Everything in the web UI, scanning, SN integration, synch, plugins and of course the inclusion of the SBC and the SBR which has necessitated changes in SC from time to time.
The SBC functionality has been largely sorted but the beta testers have only had their SBRs for a week or two now and there are some tricky SBC/SBR interactions when setting up the SBR which might be delaying things a bit.
If you were to see the number of checkins you'd know the developers are working feverishly on it.
Given that the Duet hardware is being manufactured now (the first batch may already be produced but might have been delayed by weather) the pressure to get 7.0 released must be pretty intense...Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
Sold: SB3, Duet
2008-02-13, 09:18 #7
Thanks Mark, that's a great summary of our situation.
We're down to the last couple of blocker bugs for 7.0.
If you are still having problems with SqueezeCenter, Squeezebox, Duet
or SqueezeNetwork, PLEASE file those bugs now.
On Feb 13, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Given that the Duet hardware is being manufactured now (the first
> may already be produced but might have been delayed by weather) the
> pressure to get 7.0 released must be pretty intense...
2008-02-13, 15:04 #8
thx guys for the info. btw, i specifically did not ask this:
"why do we have to wait so long"
b/c i knew the answer... i just wanted to get an idea of how much longer, as opposed to why.
i actually looked over the entire bug list, open and closed, the past few days, and voted for a bunch, and made comments on a few i hope were helpful. but i've been waiting to file more and so on for the release of 7.0 hoping and thinking it will fix some of my current issues.
so yeah, i'm anxious to try it, but i'll wait till the few blockers are blown away. thx for the update.
2008-02-13, 16:29 #9
I would suggest trying it: it is very nifty and I don't think any of the blockers are of the completely-non-functional-type.
This also lets you find your own "I can't rely on this until..." blockers and get those bugs in. If you can deal with a couple weeks of "should I trust this?" doubts in your head (just remember: it is about the music) you can be sure that any critical bugs you find will get fixed asap. You can always go back to 6.5.x if it really annoys you. (And the new Default skin did annoy me for a while, but I grew to like it, and use it more than the also nifty improved Fishbone.)
There is a distinct advantage in testing-right-before-release: the software is very much in Bugfix Only mode, so it is the perfect time to go bughunting.
You just need to have patience and a bit of risk, though, really, mine has been working fine except for some deb packaging mishaps a couple weeks ago. But I'd rather see you find bugs that drive you nuts now than to wait until it is released and you have to install a nightly snapshot for any bugs you find.
(As with all software, there will be bugs. Those of us who were subjected to Program Correctness classes in CS got told that if we actually -used- anything we were taught in that class in the real world, we would be fired for non-productivity. Spending a couple hours to prove 10 lines of code were exactly correct is not a good use of time.)
Sadly, the smack-things-with-a-hammer-until-they-break is the most efficient method of testing software. Get a hammer and smack away while people are chomping to get things fixed immediately.
2008-02-13, 17:41 #10Robin BowesGuest
+1 for try it and see.
I have been running trunk for as long as I can remember, updating
frequently and regularly. I think it's broken *completely* about once,
and that was when 6.5.x forked to become 7.
It really isn't "bad" software.