Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

[Announce] iPeng V 0.3 - iPhone / iPod Touch Skin

Sooo, as announced before (I don't have enough time these days), here's the next stable version of iPeng.

www.penguinlovesmusic.com

The focus should be on usability - well, maybe there isn't a focus here, since there's also quite some new stuff. I'm still behind on documentation but will update that over the next few days.

Usability:

* Enhanced browsing features, especially for browsing longer lists:
    o Alphabet-Links within a page work immediately now (bug fix)
    o Added quicklinks to jump to top and bottom of page to alphabet headings (that's the tiny arrows within the alphabet headings)
    * Re-Worked “Play” functionality. This did not work as expected in almost all non-standard cases. Yet nobody except wiped seems to have noticed, so thanks to him for giving the hint.
    The behavior is now defined as:
    o Clicking an Album Cover will play the complete Album, if possible
    o Clicking a Song will play the Album from that song in all but Music Folder and Playlist View
    o Clicking a Song in Playlist View will play the complete playlist from that song
    o Clicking a Song in Browse Music Folder View will Play the Folder Content from that song, if the folder does NOT contain descending folders
    o In all other cases clicking a song will play only that song.
    * No two-finger padding on all Main Menu pages (yet stays on NowPlaying Screen) (Sorry Erland, still two browse menus, have to try a bit before changing that, but will come)

Added Functionality:
    There's mainly two things I am always missing from the Default Skin:

* Alarm Function (under “Extras”) to manage Alarms
    * Sleep Function (also under “Extras”)

OKOKOK, I know I can set an alarm from the settings page, but, ye' know... well... have a look at my solution ;-)

Changes from unstable releases since 0.2e are included:

* TrackStat support on NowPlaying Screen
    * Synchronization
    * “Current Playlist” control on all browse pages
    * Plugin development interface (that one has further enhancements, most notably an automatically scaling vertical alphabet bar)
    * Playlists have a “Play” instead of an “Add” button

Sooo. If you think it's worthwile, I have to issue a warning that this MIGHT require an update to a recent nightly of SC to make everything work. I tried to work around that but I'm not sure whether it was successful.

To let you know what this is about, I'll add some screenshots, more are available at Coolio's Photo Album on penguinlovesmusic.com

---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Thanks to you and Coolio for the update! I upgraded to the latest nightly for OS X and it's working well on the Touch. I'll post back any issues I run across.

Not sure if you have a formal place to collect feedback (missed it on your page if its there), but Pandora seems to be working well for me.

Quick Pandora smoke testing:
    - Viewing and playing existing stations: working
    - new stations (search & creation): working, but I need to test more. The first station I created worked after clicking the search result a second time 30 sec later, but the station did not save to Pandora. Second station created required multiple submission of search result, but did save to Pandora. I'll test some more this evening and see if I can get some repeatable behavior and compare it to same functions directly in SqCenter7 interface.
    - Song title metadata is pulling in but is truncated in title bar (same issue seen in regular music playback as well). Scrolling song title would be very nice if doable.
    - Cover art is not pulling into Player window but appears in SqCenter7.

Again, outstanding work. Please let me knwo when you're accepting donations.
    Last edited by twylie; 2008-01-30 at 05:57.
    Synology DS-1010+ -> transporter -> Krell KRC2 -> Classe CAM 350s -> Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III
    Thecus N5200 -> SB3 -> Mark Levinson 380 -> nuforce 8Bs -> Audio Physic Sparks
    Thecus N5200 -> SB3 -> Russound CAV6.6 and CAM6.6 -> whole house audio
    Thecus N5200 -> SliMP3 as a desk clock/thermometer :-)

Looks very good! Nice Work!!!
    I've merged my Gui changes (text size, truncation and changed the lists button to point to new music and a few others..) and it works very good.
    I like the bottom/top arrows.
    The behavior now seems consistent regarding clicking the album cover versus song, at least what i've tested so far.

Anyway one thing i noticed now and have thought of before is that there is no way to jump to the next page of an playlist.
    E.g. if i list 50 items per page and the playlist has 200 items i cannot see the next 150 until i play song 51, then i can see 51-100 etc. Would be nice for a way to change pages at the bottom of the playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by wiped View Post
    Anyway one thing i noticed now and have thought of before is that there is no way to jump to the next page of an playlist.
    E.g. if i list 50 items per page and the playlist has 200 items i cannot see the next 150 until i play song 51, then i can see 51-100 etc. Would be nice for a way to change pages at the bottom of the playlist.
    Which view are you talking about? NowPlaying? That one should automatically load the next page when you scroll down to the end of the visible list. It does so here ;-) Can take a few moments, though since it still uses the old Ajax IF instead of JSON/RPC.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Which view are you talking about? NowPlaying? That one should automatically load the next page when you scroll down to the end of the visible list. It does so here ;-) Can take a few moments, though since it still uses the old Ajax IF instead of JSON/RPC.
    Aha, ok well.. tested it and unless i'm doing something completely wrong it does not work or is VERY slow..
    At the moment i have 100 items per page and if i scroll down to the end it looks like the browser seems to start loading but nothing really happens..
    Even tried the following:
    Scrolled down to 100 - Kept on scrolling with two fingers, and the browser showed that something was loading..... kept scrolling for atleast 30 seconds with two fingers but nothing changes.
    Last edited by wiped; 2008-01-30 at 08:59.

Wiped, you are my top bug hunter ;-)

The distribution is missing a 128 byte file that my development directory has. Here it is, distri will be updated!

Thanks a lot!
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Wiped, you are my top bug hunter ;-)

The distribution is missing a 128 byte file that my development directory has. Here it is, distri will be updated!

Thanks a lot!
    Just glad to be able to help. :-)
    Works fine now.

---

Except that The title formatting that i've changed to be the title.text instead of the title name only is lost when it starts scrolling. e.g. first 100 has the formatting selected in squeezecenter for the tile, 101+ have only the title name.. But that is my issue...
    EDIT: Ok, found it in the ajaxrequest code...

----

Anyway for a 100 per page setting it takes approx 10 seconds to load another 100.

Now if only the playlist could autoupdate so when you switch to it from the cover screen for example it always keeps the now playing track in the middle or top of the screen. It's a bit tiring to scroll down and find the track that is playing when you have listened to a few... Or when you change the track and have the now playing list open etc.. Keep the now playing song second from the top or in the middle.. Log that as an enhancement request.. :-)
    Last edited by wiped; 2008-01-30 at 13:26.

That's already on the list. Did you change the code to load another 100? I only load in chunks of 20... Anyway, refactoring that to use JSON is also on the list.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

That's already on the list. Did you change the code to load another 100? I only load in chunks of 20... Anyway, refactoring that to use JSON is also on the list.
    You are correct, 20 each time it is.
    Didn't scroll far enough..

Quote Originally Posted by wiped View Post
    You are correct, 20 each time it is.
    Didn't scroll far enough..
    If that takes 10s your server is probably rather slow. It's about 1s, max 2s on my system.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com