Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
    If you truly want to discuss a monitor that is used in many mixing and mastering studios then you need to discuss the Lipinski montiors. Take a look at this client list...

http://www.lipinskisound.com/customer.aspx

http://www.lipinskisound.com/wstl.aspx
    Rydenfan, this looks like fantastic speakers!!

If you ever heard genuine phase coherent speakers in a proper setup, you'll never forget about it.... This actually looks like the real stuff.
    I believe that I would much rather but something like this with fast subwoofers than B&W 802D (which in my opinion is slow), and you may even have some money left for a gift to your wife :-))

Or you could check out these guys:
    http://www.vaf.com.au/detail.asp?aud...&grunt=s1100r3
    Made by people who worked with famous John Dunlavy, based on the same ideas......

Cheers

Harald N
    Last edited by haraldo; 2008-02-25 at 16:37.
    Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop / SC7 -> SB3 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Krell KAV400xi -> Meadowlark Kestrel2 / Duntech PCL-15
    Everything is difficult before it's easy

They are most certainly the real deal! With the big L-707 you have the ability to order them with a 600 watt monoblock built into the stand! I have heard a 5 channel system of them and it remains one of the most moving musical experiences of my life. I still believe I should have ordered the littler L-505 instead of my current speakers, but such is life. You should really hear them if you get a chance.

I still believe I should have ordered the littler L-505 instead of my current speakers, but such is life. You should really hear them if you get a chance.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller L-505 would be even better than the larger ones for two reasons:
    - Vifa and Scan-speak ring-radiator are incredibly fast and if they are paired with midranges that's not likewise very fast you may have issues in the crossover region, this means those tweeters often work better with smaller drivers
    - I believe smaller drivers are generally better and faster and provides more detail, but then you may have to match with very competent and likewise fast stereo subwoofers.... (Or have many more of those small drivers)

Quote Originally Posted by MrJB View Post
    Presently using SB3/DAC1/Arcam/Dynaudio speakers. Dynaudios are very natural sounding. Listen to some Dyn's, the bigger the better, you might be surprised. Have fun.
    What speakers do you have?

I have never heard a Dynaudio speaker that's not well sounding, like the Contour S3.4, incredibly fine sounding speakers, almost bought a pair of those....

Regards

Harald N
    Last edited by haraldo; 2008-02-26 at 16:00.
    Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop / SC7 -> SB3 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Krell KAV400xi -> Meadowlark Kestrel2 / Duntech PCL-15

I met a guy called Dieter Ennemoser when I was covering the Vienna hifi show in 1999. An Austrian violin-maker by trade, he had produced a philosophy and associated laquer (C37) which he was using to treat existing components, and to create his own.

Anyway he dragged me off to listen to his HUGE Archaeopteryx speakers, which at the time were selling for about 20,000 quid. They has and 18" C37 laquered bass unit that crossed over to the tweeter at 3k.

Contrary to expectation, these speakers were the best thing I heard in the whole show. By no means what you would call a conventional presentation - but boy did they make fun music.

My point being that big drivers can also work.

Then again I have no idea how the speakers would stand up to extended listening. He still makes them though!

http://www.ennemoser.com/
    there is a lofty lonely lohengrinic castle

Quote Originally Posted by bigfool1956 View Post
    Contrary to expectation, these speakers were the best thing I heard in the whole show. By no means what you would call a conventional presentation - but boy did they make fun music.

My point being that big drivers can also work.
    Thanks!!!! - You really got me there :-)) Guess there are NO rules without exceptions

If you truly want to discuss a monitor that is used in many mixing and mastering studios then you need to discuss the Lipinski montiors. Take a look at this client list...
    I sent an email to Lipinski, and the guy (Lipinski himself) called me a few hours later and wondered what he could do to help, and if I needed assistance in acoustics, room, issues or anything else

I have never experienced something like this, these guys seem like genuine professionals :-))

Quote Originally Posted by MrJB View Post
    I play in stereo through a pair of the S3.4s with a REL sub.
    The S 3.4 are fantastic, I really love'em.....
    And with great REL sub(s) I reckon you would never have to look back.... just enjoy....

-H

My old PMCs have Dynaudio drivers (plus I believe the same tweeters as some Sonus Fabers at the time). Not perfect, but tough and occasionally they can sound fairly awesome.

Best sound I've heard is Linkwitz Orion tho'...drivers (SEAS), config (open baffle dipole) and amplification (active) all good...in combination, knockout.
    Darren
    Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Quote Originally Posted by haraldo View Post
    I sent an email to Lipinski, and the guy (Lipinski himself) called me a few hours later and wondered what he could do to help, and if I needed assistance in acoustics, room, issues or anything else

I have never experienced something like this, these guys seem like genuine professionals :-))

-H
    I believe the entire company is Andrew Lipinski (Engineer and designer) and now his son. I am thrilled that I have turned somebody on to them. I really hope you will keep me updated with how things progress.

I am thrilled that I have turned somebody on to them. I really hope you will keep me updated with how things progress.
    You bet..... :-))

My wife's not going to like this, I have two sets of very well performing speakers (Duntech PCL-15 + Meadowlark Kestrel2), and I'm not going to sell them!
    The Duntech PCL-15 is amongst the best imaging speakers in the world... at any price, but they are bears to drive, there's no bass, and they're amongst most inefficient speakers in the world, and they're just plain ugly to look at, and..... They sound like magic......
    Still, The Lipinski L-505 seems like something I really have to check out.

In the world of insanely overpriced speakers and equipment, this seem to me like something that provides real genuine value.

Cheers

Harald N

Haraldo, any updates on the Lipinski's?