Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How to disassemble the squeezebox remote?

One of my squeezebox remotes (the candy bar style) has gotten pretty grungy and I would really like to remove the front so I can clean it rather than cleaning inbetween all of the buttons.

There are no screws (even in the battery compartment). Has anybody taken their remote apart? How is it done? I'd rather not break mine in figuring it out :-).

Thanks!

Gadfly, Former Founder Slim Devices dean's Avatar

Voids warrantee, no user serviceable parts inside.

So, taking it apart is not officially sanctioned, and you risk breaking the little tabs that hold the front of the remote in place if you do open it up. And you might break a nail.

That said: It's not hard. There aren't any screws holding it together, you just need to pry the front face from the back "cup", without snapping the tabs that hold it down.

First, take the battery door off and the batteries out. Slide a fingernail or screwdriver in the crack between the front face and and one of the sides. Pry up gently and move the tool along the edge prying until the face comes out all the way around. It should snap out easily.

Take care not to get the black carbon pucks that contact the printed circuit board (or the board itself) dirty, it'll make the buttons unreliable.

Putting it back together is just a matter of lining up the front plate, buttons and clear spacer correctly and snapping it all back together.

Wow, thanks for the response. How cool to have the director of engineering respond to your post!!! I love this product and support forum!!!

As stated, it's pretty easy to do. Good thing I hadn't clipped my finger nails recently :-). It's better to use your finger nails (as painful as it may be) because the plastic will score pretty easily with a screwdriver. On the sides, there are 3 retaining clips - 1 in the middle with the other two toward the ends. And there is a single clip on each end.

It worked out great - my remotes now look like new again!

I like the fact that the buttons are all part of a single molded piece of rubber. No panikcing as all of the buttons fall on the floor when you open it up.

Thanks again Dean for the repsonse.

You can get hard Nylon bladesfrom some electronic stores for boing this kind of thing. far less likely to stratch or otherwise damage the plastic casing.

Also usefu for removing car interior parts

clean remote control

Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    So, taking it apart is not officially sanctioned, and you risk breaking the little tabs that hold the front of the remote in place if you do open it up. And you might break a nail.

That said: It's not hard. There aren't any screws holding it together, you just need to pry the front face from the back "cup", without snapping the tabs that hold it down.

First, take the battery door off and the batteries out. Slide a fingernail or screwdriver in the crack between the front face and and one of the sides. Pry up gently and move the tool along the edge prying until the face comes out all the way around. It should snap out easily.

Take care not to get the black carbon pucks that contact the printed circuit board (or the board itself) dirty, it'll make the buttons unreliable.

Putting it back together is just a matter of lining up the front plate, buttons and clear spacer correctly and snapping it all back together.
    Just found this helpful tip. Worked a treat. I used Isoclean (Isopropanol Cleaning Fluid). Remote now as good as new. Thanks a bunch.
    Mike (UK)

Welcome back Mike! Three posts in 6 years, must be reading every post or doing what the rest of us should be doing, Listening to the Music!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive