Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1. No. Not necessary. Allow users to change what is in SC. That's a different task but solves quite a few issues.
    One of the fundamental principles of SC is that it doesn't change the user's files or directories nor does it move files. In keeping with that principle - I felt it would be better to get the tags as right as possible when creating the file rather than have a plugin change the tags and force a rescan

From my perspective - Point 6 is the easiest one to implement just using the "normal" approach of extending a printf format (something like %A = Artist %B = Album name %N = Track number %T = Track name) as used by many file management apps.

Just to cast my votes.... I'm absolutely with bpa on getting the tags right upfront and avoid changing them later. Pragmatically this may not entirely be possible but it's a reasonable goal to aim for. In any case, there's a billion and one retagging applications out there already.

But I'd be with Pippin on putting directory structure configuration in the options.

I also agree that we should focus on the rip process for now. "Playing while ripping" is a great idea for the future. Something that would be easier in the shorter term: I'd like to be able to play a recently ripped CD from the CDImport plugin's web page - not quite as immediate as "playing while ripping" but avoids all sorts of nasty issues about skipping ahead of the rip etc.

Ian

Gadfly, Former Founder Slim Devices dean's Avatar

Plugin to import a CD into the library

I agree, ideally the tag information would be in editable fields on
    the page so that they could be tweaked before hitting the Import button.

Extra credit for an upload button to replace the artwork.

-dean

how to install import CD

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Attached is a version of the CDImport plugin which supports Windows. The plugin is still a prototype but feedback from Windows users would be useful to focus development effort.

On Windows the plugin uses CDDA2WAV instead of CDparanoia. I have bundled the necessary file (cdda2waw.exe, cygwin1.dll annd ,metaflac.exe) into a single zip file to simplify installation.

To install
    1. Download the attached zip file and unzip and put CDImport folder into SqueezeCenter server/Plugins directory.
    If you have a standard windows installation - then just right click the ZIP file and "Extract All" to
    C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins
    2. Download the zipped binary files from . Then unzip the file
    into the Plugins\CDImport directory such that there is a Bin directory.
    If you have a standard windows installation - then just right click the ZIP file and "Extract All" to
    3. If you already have Cygwin installed - delete the cygwin1.dll from the Bin airectory.
    4. Restart SqueezeCenter - there should be a "CD Import" menu option under Extras. Check the "CD Importer" plugin settings to see that the correct CD drive has been identified. This is necessary for user with more than one CD-ROM drive.

Also in settings there are two tick boxes
    (i) to choose whether to copy the ripped and compressed files into a directory in your SqueezeCenter music directory.
    (ii) if (i) is enabled then the 2nd check box will trigger a SqueezeCenter scan of the new directory.

In normal operation both these boxes will be checked but as shipped they are unchecked as user may initially want to test rips without copying files into SqueezeCenter.

During testing I found problems in the following area.
    1. IE7 caching and some other IE7 DOM quirks. No problems when using Firefox.
    2. A DVD-RW drive needed a firmware update before it would work properly.
    3. A Laptop with only 512Mb RAM could not rip a CD when it was running Squeezecenter and a Firefox browser. Not enough memory.

So if you find problems besides normal details please Browser type, drive info incl firmware rev and system details esp. memory.

Caution: The "Abort" while scanning is bit unreliable at present and the scanning process CDDA2WAV may keep running. After pressing abort wait until all "Rip" activity stops before click another button.

CDImport has not been tested on Vista but cdda2wav.exe is supposed to work on Vista.

Hi bpa,

I downloaded the zip file and copy/paste dll and exe files in plugin directory.

But I think I missed something because I don't have access to the pluggin parameters.

Do you have any idea why?

Also, I can't find the "Download the attached zip file " on your older post.

Thanks,

abandonned?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Attached is a version of the CDImport plugin which supports Windows. The plugin is still a prototype but feedback from Windows users would be useful to focus development effort.

On Windows the plugin uses CDDA2WAV instead of CDparanoia. I have bundled the necessary file (cdda2waw.exe, cygwin1.dll annd ,metaflac.exe) into a single zip file to simplify installation.

To install
    1. Download the attached zip file and unzip and put CDImport folder into SqueezeCenter server/Plugins directory.
    2. Download the zipped binary files from . Then unzip the file
    into the Plugins\CDImport directory such that there is a Bin directory.
    3. If you already have Cygwin installed - delete the cygwin1.dll from the Bin airectory.
    4. Restart SqueezeCenter - there should be a "CD Import" menu option under Extras. Check the "CD Importer" plugin settings to see that the correct CD drive has been identified. This is necessary for user with more than one CD-ROM drive.

Also in settings there are two tick boxes
    (i) to choose whether to copy the ripped and compressed files into a directory in your SqueezeCenter music directory.
    (ii) if (i) is enabled then the 2nd check box will trigger a SqueezeCenter scan of the new directory.

In normal operation both these boxes will be checked but as shipped they are unchecked as user may initially want to test rips without copying files into SqueezeCenter.

During testing I found problems in the following area.
    1. IE7 caching and some other IE7 DOM quirks. No problems when using Firefox.
    2. A DVD-RW drive needed a firmware update before it would work properly.
    3. A Laptop with only 512Mb RAM could not rip a CD when it was running Squeezecenter and a Firefox browser. Not enough memory.

So if you find problems besides normal details please Browser type, drive info incl firmware rev and system details esp. memory.

Caution: The "Abort" while scanning is bit unreliable at present and the scanning process CDDA2WAV may keep running. After pressing abort wait until all "Rip" activity stops before click another button.

CDImport has not been tested on Vista but cdda2wav.exe is supposed to work on Vista.
    Is it abandonned pluggin, I can't install it?