Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
    Awesome, I'm glad someone finally started working on a plugin like this. Two ideas:

I use a lastfm plugin for MusicBrainz Picard to gather genere data which seems to work really well. I don't know how much work it would be to add that data.

You could also grab cover art from Apple, although I don't know about the legality of that. There is code out there:
    http://avantlumiere.com/projects/i7awf/
    Does the Apple code still work? Thought they encode the artwork now...
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Fantastic idea for a plugin iwp. Major cudos to you

I wonder if you could write a module for the N5200 that would add a USB CD drive and then bundle this plugin to turn the NAS box into a full ripping and SqueezeCetner box.

Could be a killer combination

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Does the Apple code still work? Thought they encode the artwork now...
    Just tried it, albeit very quickly - I get a URL back but my browser won't render the image; so I guess you're right. Also, that source code looks like it tries to masquerade as the iTunes application. Oh well, a nice thought.

funkstar - thanks. A full-featured dedicated Squeezecenter server is exactly the inspiration for this.

Ian

iTunes artwork

Quote Originally Posted by iwp View Post
    Just tried it, albeit very quickly - I get a URL back but my browser won't render the image; so I guess you're right. Also, that source code looks like it tries to masquerade as the iTunes application. Oh well, a nice thought.
    Ian
    Apple actually sends a JPEG or GIF file with some sort of data chunk in front of it. In general, if you strip off the first 500 bytes, it seems to become a valid image file. There's a description (see below) out on the web, and as I recall, the chunk could be a different size, as specified by a couple of fields in the data, but always appears to be 500 bytes.

Here's the description I saw a while back...

http://www.falsecognate.org/2007/01/...es_itc_fil.php

Eric

Very nice idea!
    I will be trying it out. Does it rip to a single flac per album? If not, please consider this a feature request .

TIA,

Cody

Attached is a version of the CDImport plugin which supports Windows. The plugin is still a prototype but feedback from Windows users would be useful to focus development effort.

On Windows the plugin uses CDDA2WAV instead of CDparanoia. I have bundled the necessary file (cdda2waw.exe, cygwin1.dll annd ,metaflac.exe) into a single zip file to simplify installation.

To install
    1. Download the attached zip file and unzip and put CDImport folder into SqueezeCenter server/Plugins directory.
    If you have a standard windows installation - then just right click the ZIP file and "Extract All" to
    C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins
    2. Download the zipped binary files from http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl...DImportBin.zip . Then unzip the file
    into the Plugins\CDImport directory such that there is a Bin directory.
    If you have a standard windows installation - then just right click the ZIP file and "Extract All" to
    C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins
    3. If you already have Cygwin installed - delete the cygwin1.dll from the Bin airectory.
    4. Restart SqueezeCenter - there should be a "CD Import" menu option under Extras. Check the "CD Importer" plugin settings to see that the correct CD drive has been identified. This is necessary for user with more than one CD-ROM drive.

Also in settings there are two tick boxes
    (i) to choose whether to copy the ripped and compressed files into a directory in your SqueezeCenter music directory.
    (ii) if (i) is enabled then the 2nd check box will trigger a SqueezeCenter scan of the new directory.

In normal operation both these boxes will be checked but as shipped they are unchecked as user may initially want to test rips without copying files into SqueezeCenter.

During testing I found problems in the following area.
    1. IE7 caching and some other IE7 DOM quirks. No problems when using Firefox.
    2. A DVD-RW drive needed a firmware update before it would work properly.
    3. A Laptop with only 512Mb RAM could not rip a CD when it was running Squeezecenter and a Firefox browser. Not enough memory.

So if you find problems besides normal details please Browser type, drive info incl firmware rev and system details esp. memory.

Caution: The "Abort" while scanning is bit unreliable at present and the scanning process CDDA2WAV may keep running. After pressing abort wait until all "Rip" activity stops before click another button.

CDImport has not been tested on Vista but cdda2wav.exe is supposed to work on Vista.

Brilliant stuff, thanks for doing all this! (And I know I'm yet to reply to your last email)

Ian

Great tool.
    May I file a feature request?
    What I would like to see is the possibility to play a CD while ripping. This is how it could look like: You enter a CDD, ripping starts, and after track 1 is finished, you do a "loadtracks" with the URL of the first track and all subsequent tracks are being added as soon as they are ready through "addtracks". AFAIK this would also add those tracks to the database so a seperate scan would no longer be necessary.

Possible?
    If I can be of any help regarding the UI (can't do Perl ;-), let me know.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

My feeling is that the RIP process needs to be improved before adding other features. The improvement I think include

1. Allow user to override or provide some tag info in addition to the MusicBrainz information. For example, man albums have no genre assigned or a user may have their own generes.

2. Provide alternative album art choices such as from Yahoo, Walmart or Google images.

3. When MB fails to provide info - look up other databases.

4. Just RIP selected tracks not necessarily whole albums.

5. Finer control over compress format and options.

6. Support flexible naming and positioning of ripped files so that they are copied into a directory and file structure using Album, Artist names etc. details according to user requirements.

One of the target user group of the Plugin will be new users of SC and the need to make it easy to rip their CD collections. Having a UI to support the above features would make it complicated so there is probably a needs for an "Advanced" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    My feeling is that the RIP process needs to be improved before adding other features. The improvement I think include

1. Allow user to override or provide some tag info in addition to the MusicBrainz information. For example, man albums have no genre assigned or a user may have their own generes.

2. Provide alternative album art choices such as from Yahoo, Walmart or Google images.

3. When MB fails to provide info - look up other databases.

4. Just RIP selected tracks not necessarily whole albums.

5. Finer control over compress format and options.

6. Support flexible naming and positioning of ripped files so that they are copied into a directory and file structure using Album, Artist names etc. details according to user requirements.

One of the target user group of the Plugin will be new users of SC and the need to make it easy to rip their CD collections. Having a UI to support the above features would make it complicated so there is probably a needs for an "Advanced" mode.
    I understand that. I have a different target group in mind ;-)
    To avoid complicated, drop flexibility and have defaults that make sense. And have a good UI, of course ;-)

I disagree on two of your points:

1. No. Not necessary. Allow users to change what is in SC. That's a different task but solves quite a few issues.
    6. That is really advanced and only needs to be provided in an "options" section.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com