Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Announcing the Squeezebox Duet

I'm happy to announce that we have launched the all new Squeezebox™ Duet!

Squeezebox™ Duet lets you listen to the music you love in any room in your home. Access millions of songs — even when your computer is off. The multi-room controller with 2.4-inch color display makes it easy to browse, select, and play songs from your personal collection, Internet radio — even online music services.

A convenient scroll wheel, simple menus and intuitive buttons make navigation a breeze. Advanced 802.11g technology eliminates the need to string wires. Enjoy crystal clear, CD-quality audio on your home theater system, your bedroom stereo, your kitchen mini-system — anywhere you have audio gear.

Check out the details:
    http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html

Press Release (once they get it up):
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/172/4180

Some really really big pics for those who want them (The LCD is simulated):
    http://www.slimdevices.com/images/ji...auty_large.jpg
    http://www.slimdevices.com/images/ji..._top_large.jpg
    http://www.slimdevices.com/images/ji..._ray_large.jpg
    http://www.slimdevices.com/images/ji...huck_large.jpg

Mike
    Last edited by mvalera; 2008-01-05 at 22:18. Reason: added pics
    Michael Valera
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Corsair.com

This looks great but I am not clear about the controller... do you need a wireless network to use it? I have 14 Squeezebox players but they are all wired. Would I have to put up a wireless network to use this remote?

Quote Originally Posted by upstatemike View Post
    This looks great but I am not clear about the controller... do you need a wireless network to use it? I have 14 Squeezebox players but they are all wired. Would I have to put up a wireless network to use this remote?

You'd need wireless to run the remote. Your Squeezeboxes can stay wired though.

14? Is that some sort of record?

Wow!, congratulations on another product release!

I bought a Squeezebox 3 like 2 months ago (The one with the VFD display ), so here are my first main observations:

Differences of Squeezebox 3 (SB3) vs. Squeezebox Receiver (SBR)

The SBR doesn't have a headphone jack.
    The DAC from SB3 is a Burr-Brown™ 24-bit DAC, and the one on the SBR is a Wolfson« 24-bit DAC.
    The Total harmonic distortion on the SB3 is less than -93.5dB (0.002%) and on the SBR is less than -88dB (0.002%) (no idea what this means :P ).
    The SBR doesn't have a VFD.
    The SB3 costs $299 and the SBR costs $149.

So I see that both are not very diferent in terms of arquitecture / functions, so I guess a SBR can be synchronized with a SB3 or maybe even a SB2 for music playback from Squeezecenter?

As for the Squeezebox Controller (SBC), it seems there is a headphone jack on the SBC pics, what purpose does it have?

Also I'm not very clear with this: Bridging capability allows Ethernet devices to connect to the network through Squeezebox Receiver's wireless connection. Does it mean the SBC can connect to the network through the SBR instead of connecting directly to the wireless router for example?

I wish you great success with your new products!
    Last edited by pichonCalavera; 2008-01-05 at 21:38.
    rip (eac) > convert (flac) > tag (musicbrainz/mp3tag) > normalize (replaygain/foobar2000) > albumart (www/firefox) > transport (winscp) > store (debian) > manage (squeezecenter) > control (ipodtouch/ipeng-app) > play (squeezebox) > preamplify (zpre2) > amplify (zampv3) > listen (axiomm2/sennheiser-hd595) > scrooble (last.fm) > enjoy (me :)

http://www.last.fm/user/pichonCalavera

All Squeezboxes can be synchronized by the Controller, or SlimServer /SqueezeCenter for that matter, to play the same song. Or they can all play different songs at the same time.

Bridging works the same as on the SqueezeBox. You connect your SqueezeBox wirelessly to your network, and then you can connect wired devices, like a PS2 to your network through your SqueezeBox's Ethernet port. Or you can connect a switch to it, and hve a whole load of devices connected.

It works great if you don't have a wired connection for your home theater setup. Everything AV related seems to come with a Ethernet port these days.

Mike
    Michael Valera
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Corsair.com

Quote Originally Posted by mvalera View Post
    I'm happy to announce that we have launched the all new SqueezeboxÖ Duet!
    Mike
    Congrats on the formal announcement! Hopefully beta testing for the remote/Jive will end soon.

That said, although the new Squeezebox Receiver is a good price point at $149, I can't say I'm impressed with the price being asked for the new remote. $299??? Are you serious?

I would say $199 at most would be a fair price but... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
    That said, although the new Squeezebox Receiver is a good price point at $149, I can't say I'm impressed with the price being asked for the new remote. $299???
    Exactly my toughts, since I already own a Squeezebox, $299 is very expensive for me right now for the Controller, altough on the flip side, is $100 cheaper than the Sonos Controller, so while I think the Sonos controller is "very-expensive", I think the Squeezebox Controller is just "expensive" :P

But I think the main purpose of this is the Duet and first timers to the Squeezebox, since you'll get the Duet for $400, that in comparision with the Sonos for example, I think you'll need at least $750 for a similar setup (Sonos Controller + Sonos« ZonePlayer 80). Also I don't think a Squeezebox Receiver is very helpful without a Squeezebox Controller as mvalera says on this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=41805&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by mvalera
    One note about the SB Receiver, is that it requires the Controller for network setup. You can't just buy one on it's own. It's for adding extra rooms.

The Receiver and Controller will be available as an accessory from us online, and a few select online partners. They will not be a retail boxed product.
    rip (eac) > convert (flac) > tag (musicbrainz/mp3tag) > normalize (replaygain/foobar2000) > albumart (www/firefox) > transport (winscp) > store (debian) > manage (squeezecenter) > control (ipodtouch/ipeng-app) > play (squeezebox) > preamplify (zpre2) > amplify (zampv3) > listen (axiomm2/sennheiser-hd595) > scrooble (last.fm) > enjoy (me :)

http://www.last.fm/user/pichonCalavera

What about the reverse in bridging?

Quote Originally Posted by mvalera View Post
    Bridging works the same as on the SqueezeBox. You connect your SqueezeBox wirelessly to your network, and then you can connect wired devices, like a PS2 to your network through your SqueezeBox's Ethernet port. Or you can connect a switch to it, and hve a whole load of devices connected.
    Mike
    What if everything you have is hardwired Ethernet (including 6 SB3's), not wireless. Can the Controller then be the sole wireless device that talks to the Squeezebox or Squeezebox Receiver, and onto the hardwired network through this bridging capability?

Hint: I live in a city and don't use wireless because of security concerns.

Not clear whether this would work.

*Bradley

Yes, if you have a wired Duet receiver and no other wireless network, you can bridge the controller through the receiver's wireless connection.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Yes, if you have a wired Duet receiver and no other wireless network, you can bridge the controller through the receiver's wireless connection.
    What about if you just bought the controller and not the receiver? Would the SB3's provide the same functionality?