Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: Does Album Catalogue Creator (RC5+) create a trustworthy output?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 31.58%
  • Yes but with minor issues

27 47.37%
  • No

3 5.26%
  • It does not work at all

9 15.79%
Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Announce: Album Catalog Creator for SlimServer

NOTE: Please go to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...atalog+creator as this thread has been replaced

Hi All,

Since I bought my Squeezebox I have greatly expanded my music collection which is good. The bad thing is that when I want to play something I can't possibly remember my whole collection. I think that sounds pretty familiar to many of you?

In search of a tool able to print the collection in nice format to paper I got stuck; there isn't such a tool.

Therefore I have created a script to do exactly that and maybe someone can use it to so I decided to post it here.

The script is called AlbumCatalogCreator or ACC in short. I have attached some images from the GUI and the output files. There are a few options to change the layout. The help file further explains most of the questions (I hope).

How does it work:
    - It connects directly to SlimServer database using default credentials used at installation. It then queries the database and generates the HTML output.

Some things to know:
    - The mySQL ODCB driver is required to be able connect to the SlimServer database. It can be downloaded here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html
    - It looks for album cover files named either cover.jpg or folder.jpg which must reside in the actual album directory.
    - It assumes there is a dedicated folder for compilation albums because the SlimServer internal compilation detection doesn't work very well (I am forcing myself to put it nicely) (EDIT: In the new version this is obsolete. Refer to end of thread)
    - It automatically inserts page breaks (only for printing purposes). Since browser print margins can only be set using the browser, you may need to narrow the default margings. You can also change the header and footer so the ugly URL isn't printed put page number are instead (see help screen in application for more info)

Well, I hope you can use it at your advantage.

I consider it a Beta version because it works for me but hasn't been tested by anyone else yet.

Since its a VBScript, you can change it yourself but I would greatly appreciate if you use this threads in case of bugs or ideas for me to work on so other users can use it too.

The script can be downloaded from: http://www.vanholt.nl/acc/acc.htm

Start the script by double clicking the AlbumCatalogCreator-V1.hta file.

For those interested; have fun and happy new year in advance.

Frank

NOTE: Screenshots are based on initial beta release. The GUI has been changed and output improved over the various subreleases...
    Last edited by SilverRS8; 2009-12-15 at 07:48.

Awesome Frank.

Thanks for the holiday gift. I will try it out tonight.

I'm sure SlimDevices will want you to add your utility to the wiki:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginsAudio

Happy New year!
    Bob Harper

I've been looking for something like this. Thanks, I'll feed back when I've tried it.

Brilliant idea! But whats the MySQL userid/password?

Brilliant idea, been looking for something like this for ages!

Can't get it to work yet though .... my SqueezeCentre is on a different Linux server, so anyone know what the userid/password that an SC7 install would use is?
    Cheers
    Alan

Koolu (Ubuntu 10.4) + SC 7.5.1 feeding ==>
    SB3 -> Cyrus 6vs -> KEF iQ7
    SB2 -> Super T amp -> Mission 771
    SBC ( unimpressed! )

Quote Originally Posted by alanj View Post
    Brilliant idea, been looking for something like this for ages!

Can't get it to work yet though .... my SqueezeCentre is on a different Linux server, so anyone know what the userid/password that an SC7 install would use is?
    Sorry, looked at it again and the script only works when SS is installed on the same Windows machine.

Frank
    Last edited by SilverRS8; 2007-12-31 at 12:48.

I will try this soon. Thanks for the effort, looks great. I wanted to strongly recommend for the sake of the trees of planet Earth, that everyone prints to a PDF version and not use paper whenever possible. Based on my current collection of music, I believe it would take many hundreds of double-sided pages. Hopefully there are font choices for headlines.

Watcher of the Windows build

Error creating file...

I just tried running the script from my SC 7.0 Windows XP server after installing the ODBC connector 3.51. After the script runs for a few seconds I get the following error:

Error creating file C:\Album Art Creator\AlbumCatalogs\AlbumList - Long - 12/31/07.html
    Possibly Open by another application?

I stopped SqueezeCenter.exe and kept mysqld.exe running, but it still gave the same error.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I noticed that the help button does not work from the GUI interface, but if I click AlbumCatalogCreator-help.hta in the includes folder it works... In the help file it refers to SC 6.5... Is this a limitation?
    Last edited by tamanaco; 2007-12-31 at 11:57.

formerly known as Fletch
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRS8 View Post
    If the database structure hasn't been changed SC should work. The script currently expects the database to be on the same machine but you can easily change this.
    Note that the default installation of SC configures mysqld to only accept connections from localhost.

Quote Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
    I just tried running the script from my SC 7.0 Windows XP server after installing the ODBC connector 3.51. After the script runs for a few seconds I get the following error:

Error creating file C:\Album Art Creator\AlbumCatalogs\AlbumList - Long - 12/31/07.html
    Possibly Open by another application?

I stopped SqueezeCenter.exe and kept mysqld.exe running, but it still gave the same error.

Any suggestions

EDIT: I noticed that the help button does not work from the GUI interface, but if I click AlbumCatalogCreator-help.hta in the includes folder it works... In the help file it refers to SC 6.5... Is this a limitation?
    Thanks for the update. The script uses the current date to create the filename. You apparently have american notation which uses slashes which is not allowed in a file name.

I fixed it and updated the download so please download again and let me know if it works.

I will also fix the helpfile issue tomorrow. I used a fixed path assuming the mshta executable is in c:\windows and you apparently have windows installed in a different directory. Sorry for my (ugly) coding error (never use fixed paths, use system variables). Must have been a quick coding mistake and never looked at it again. (its almost party time here because of old-new year).

Frank
    Last edited by SilverRS8; 2007-12-31 at 12:52.

Watcher of the Windows build
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRS8 View Post
    Thanks for the update. The script uses the current date to create the filename. You apparently have american notation which uses slashes which is not allowed in a file name.

I fixed it and updated the download so please download again and let me know if it works.

I will also fix the helpfile issue tomorrow. I used a fixed path assuming the mshta executable is in c:\windows and you apparently have windows installed in a different directory. Sorry for my (ugly) coding error (never use fixed paths, use system variables). Must have been a quick coding mistake and never looked at it again. (its almost party time here because of old-new year).

Frank
    Ok, I tried beta 2 and got the same error, but after I click ok on the error message it starts IE with the content of my music catalog. There are some album covers missing which "should" be there. I double checked the albums with missing album art in the resulting catalog and all my album folders have a corresponding folder.jpg. I also have album art embedded in every track. The font for the tracks also look a bit small in the browser, but it might be my browser's font settings.

Btw, thanks for sharing the script... it shows a lot of promise.

Don't worry about fixing it today... Go party and have a Happy New Year!