Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

iPhone / iPod touch skin for SlimServer

sooo.

I put a first release on my new web page.
    User's manual is not finished yet (only halfway through), but since I will probably not have time to fix that today I put on the skin anyway. You might not find all tweaks (just two hints: album covers are clickable and lines in playlist view are clickable), but installation instructions are there and most of it is somewhat straightforward if you read "UI Philosophy".

You'll find it at www.penguinlovesmusic.com and I will be happy to hear your feedback.

Have fun!

Red face I'm struggling to find the download

I've used the link but it keeps coming back to the same artical page and there doesn't seem to be a download link anywhere. Any chance you could give me a direct link? I'm eager to begin using this on my shinny new ipod T.

BB

Should work now

Oh, I forgot to mention:

I've got a big wish, too:
    SlimServer currently is not able to STREAM to the ipod/iphone. Looks to me that this has to do with SlimServer not supporting byte-range requests (it doesn't and ipod/iphone requires it).

So if anybody out here can get Slimdevices to fix that, or fix it himself... That would make quite a christmas present...

Wow, this is so cool.

I've installed it and it works great so far, I've only noticed some small things:
    - The notification splash when hitting "+" is shown outside screen if I hit a "+" on the bottom of a long list. The splash seems to be always displayed on the top part of the list.
    - I think I would rather perfer that the alphabetic letter links to the right of the list would be shown one per row instead of spread out on all items in a long list.
    - When I hit an alphabetic letter to the right, it scrolls to the correct page but it always seems to be positioned at the top. The result is that sometimes I need to scroll to get the the first artist with the selected letter.
    - I think it would be useful to always have "Home" button somewhere on the screen because sometimes when browsing down into different menus it can be a few clicks to get back to the home menu.

The scrolling performance is a problem as I suspected, but it actually works better than I had thought. It is actually at least as fast to find a specific artist with this skin as with the new Jive remote.

I'm really looking forward to be able to use the Custom Browse plugin together with this skin, so for me support for third party plugins are important.

Also the "Now Playing" screen is great, it gives me a cover art display with reasonable screen size when the iPod is put into the docking station beside the SqueezeBox.

I'm starting to see very few reasons why I should use the standard SlimServer web interface on a PC when this skin is finished. Unfortunately for Logitech I'm starting to feel the same thing about the Jive remote, because IMO an iPod Touch with this skin will be better when finished.

Thanks for making this available, keep up the good work and let us know if there are any specific parts you would like help implementing or testing.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Wow, this is so cool.

I've installed it and it works great so far, I've only noticed some small things:
    - The notification splash when hitting "+" is shown outside screen if I hit a "+" on the bottom of a long list. The splash seems to be always displayed on the top part of the list.
    True. I have to admit I was thinking about removing it altogether, but, yes, I know how to fix that...
    - I think I would rather perfer that the alphabetic letter links to the right of the list would be shown one per row instead of spread out on all items in a long list.
    Not sure if I fully understand this one...
    - When I hit an alphabetic letter to the right, it scrolls to the correct page but it always seems to be positioned at the top. The result is that sometimes I need to scroll to get the the first artist with the selected letter.
    Ooops, good one, didn't notice that one. I set the "items per page" setting to 21 so every page starts with the right letter... I think I also know how to change this one, but that's a bit of work...
    - I think it would be useful to always have "Home" button somewhere on the screen because sometimes when browsing down into different menus it can be a few clicks to get back to the home menu.
    You always have it at the bottom of the PAGE, but getting there... hm, think I've got an idea (similar to the one on the playlist page ;-) Finally a real iPhone app where you can scroll behind buttons would be nice, though.
    The scrolling performance is a problem as I suspected, but it actually works better than I had thought. It is actually at least as fast to find a specific artist with this skin as with the new Jive remote.
    Ooops, to me it looked quite good, I was having more problems with load times...
    I'm really looking forward to be able to use the Custom Browse plugin together with this skin, so for me support for third party plugins are important.
    OK, moved up on the to-do-list ;-)
    Also the "Now Playing" screen is great, it gives me a cover art display with reasonable screen size when the iPod is put into the docking station beside the SqueezeBox.

I'm starting to see very few reasons why I should use the standard SlimServer web interface on a PC when this skin is finished. Unfortunately for Logitech I'm starting to feel the same thing about the Jive remote, because IMO an iPod Touch with this skin will be better when finished.

Thanks for making this available, keep up the good work and let us know if there are any specific parts you would like help implementing or testing.
    Thanks

Joerg

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erland
    Not sure if I fully understand this one...
    If the artist list by default show 50 items, this means that to reach the Z letter I need to scroll down to the bottom. If the list size is set to 100 items it means even more scrolling to reach the "Z" letter link.

I think I would prefer that I only had to scroll down about 27 rows to reach the Z letter link. Maybe the letter links could be shown as one link per row and then start over from the beginning again. So the "A" link would be shown on the first row and then on the 28'th row again after the "Z" link on the 27'th row.

Maybe the letter links could be shown between the rows on the line, to avoid the risk of hitting a "+" when you like to hit a letter link.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Ooops, to me it looked quite good, I was having more problems with load times...
    Now when I look at it again, I think you are correct. The load times is a bigger problem than the scrolling. The issue with the scrolling is just that you have to stop a while to let the screen refresh to see where you are in the list. I wonder if the load time is server related or if it is the HTML parsing on the iPod that takes time.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    I think I would prefer that I only had to scroll down about 27 rows to reach the Z letter link. Maybe the letter links could be shown as one link per row and then start over from the beginning again. So the "A" link would be shown on the first row and then on the 28'th row again after the "Z" link on the 27'th row.
    Sometimes life could be so easy. Will do it like Apple did just rolling over the alphabet...Next release. Dunno why I didn't do it already.
    Now when I look at it again, I think you are correct. The load times is a bigger problem than the scrolling. The issue with the scrolling is just that you have to stop a while to let the screen refresh to see where you are in the list. I wonder if the load time is server related or if it is the HTML parsing on the iPod that takes time.
    Both. If you use cover thumbs, it's the load time. Without thumbs, it can be rather quick, however, when you load a new page (switching between Main Menu<->BrowseDB<->Playing it takes a while to process all the JavaScript. I'm working on this but the Nokia-Skin legacy hurts a bit...
    Transfers alone don't take as much time as I expected, but it's still a bit. If you select a song from an album it takes up to 4 Ajax calls plus a page switch to complete the transaction (get shuffle status; turn off shuffle; load album; start song; restore shuffle) and that works easily within 6 seconds on my system.
    Last edited by pippin; 2007-12-03 at 13:51.

Nice going. Just downloaded for if/when I get a touch! Main reason would be as a handheld remote for the macmini/sb3 combo I'm using. Of course it does mean a few nights searching for album artwork but should be worth it in the end! Don't really know much about touches but certainly on the psp skin the author of that one made it possible to store album art on the mem stick. Wondered if anything similar could apply here to speed things up a bit?
    Last edited by davidcotton; 2007-12-03 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
    Nice going. Just downloaded for if/when I get a touch! Main reason would be as a handheld remote for the macmini/sb3 combo I'm using. Of course it does mean a few nights searching for album artwork but should be worth it in the end! Don't really know much about touches but certainly on the psp skin the author of that one made it possible to store album art on the mem stick. Wondered if anything similar could apply here to speed things up a bit?
    Hard... Even if you get access to the iPod (which I do have) and put files on it, mobile Safari doesn't allow you to access it :-(

Apple really locked this thing down.