Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it posible to use RoboCopy to mirror a whole hard drive ?

Hiya,

So that one drive if it becomes faulty could be taken out and the new put in and all should run as if nothing has happened ?

I have been using robocopy probably in it's simplest form to back up music files to an external drive, and not sure on all the copy/mirror options that would allow all files to be copied, to allow a hard drive swap.

Look forward to hearing any tips

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Cat View Post
    So that one drive if it becomes faulty could be taken out and the new put in and all should run as if nothing has happened ?

I have been using robocopy probably in it's simplest form to back up music files to an external drive, and not sure on all the copy/mirror options that would allow all files to be copied, to allow a hard drive swap.
    If it's just a data disk, then yes. It wouldn't work for a bootable system disk, since it just copies files and folders, rather than doing do a low level duplication of the disk. For that, you'd want a utility such as Ghost.

You'll need to do each partition on the drive if you have more than one.

robocopy E:\ F:\ /mir

This will copy all folders and files, including empty ones and will also remove any files and folders on F:\ that aren't on E:\ (equivalent to /e /purge).

Just a helpful reminder to be very careful using the /mir option because it will delete files not in the source. Doing this backwards can have devastating results.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    If it's just a data disk, then yes. It wouldn't work for a bootable system disk, since it just copies files and folders, rather than doing do a low level duplication of the disk. For that, you'd want a utility such as Ghost.

You'll need to do each partition on the drive if you have more than one.

robocopy E:\ F:\ /mir

This will copy all folders and files, including empty ones and will also remove any files and folders on F:\ that aren't on E:\ (equivalent to /e /purge).

Quote Originally Posted by fred7 View Post
    Just a helpful reminder to be very careful using the /mir option because it will delete files not in the source. Doing this backwards can have devastating results.
    True. Don't reverse the source and destination if you like your data. It's always:

robocopy source destination [file(s)] [options]

Cheers for that, both of you!

Just double checking, so with Robocopy I can back up any *.exe files, like slimserver, mp3tag etc, and just reload if anything goes wrong (after of course XP is back on), Unless I get Ghost, yes?

What I'm thinking of backing up:

All music, pics, docs, etc
    emails
    contacts
    extra loaded on .exe files

Am I missing anything important?

So, there is no point in backing up the 'Program Files' or 'Windows' directories then as they are too involved with XP?

Thanks again for any thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Cat View Post
    Just double checking, so with Robocopy I can back up any *.exe files, like slimserver, mp3tag etc, and just reload if anything goes wrong (after of course XP is back on), Unless I get Ghost, yes?

What I'm thinking of backing up:

All music, pics, docs, etc
    emails
    contacts
    extra loaded on .exe files

Am I missing anything important?

So, there is no point in backing up the 'Program Files' or 'Windows' directories then as they are too involved with XP?
    Robocopy is really nice and simple when it comes to "mirroring" a disk used exclusively for data. It gets a good bit more involved when you start using it to backup particular files and folders.

You might want to look into using a ligitimate backup program when it comes to backing up application data. Then you'll be able to do things like go back and restore a document that you accidentally deleted last Monday.

Robin Bowes

Is it posible to use RoboCopy to mirror a whole harddrive ?

Deaf Cat wrote:
    > Cheers for that, both of you!
    >
    > Just double checking, so with Robocopy I can back up any *.exe files,
    > like slimserver, mp3tag etc, and just reload if anything goes wrong
    > (after of course XP is back on), Unless I get Ghost, yes?

You can't copy any executable files that are running.

R.

Lovely, you guys have cleared up my unknowns and made things simple,

Ta very much

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bowes View Post
    You can't copy any executable files that are running.
    I just tried it on a few running programs and it works for me. Never tried it before, so I couldn't say if it's always the case.

Code:
    robocopy "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" "C:\temp\test" iexplore.exe
    robocopy "C:\Program Files\Macromedia\HomeSite+" "C:\temp\test" Homesite+.exe
    robocopy "%SystemRoot%\system32" "C:\temp\test" notepad.exe
    robocopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office" "C:\temp\test" excel.exe

I would think it depends on what version of Robocopy and OS you are using. If the OS (2003 / Vista) and Robocopy are Volume Shadow aware it probably can copy files even if they are in use.
    Paul

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Squeeze Server 7.6 on Windows 2008 R2
    SB3 x1, SBB (Squeezebox Boom) x1, SBR (Squeezebox Radio with battery) x1, SBT (Squeezebox Touch) x1
    RIP - dBpowerAMP R13 to FLAC
    ID3 Tags - MP3Tag v2.41 and Discogs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~