Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slimserver (SlimNAS) on FreeNAS wont start after power outage

OK, following on from this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31861) I'm experiencing an issue with SlimNAS and wondered if it's normal behavior.

Running FreeNAS from a CD with the config file held on a USB stick. Everything installed OK following Michael's excellent guide, and slimserver was available and serving music

After several shutdowns and reboots, everything carries on OK, but noticed that if power is lost to the FreeNAS box (IE, hard power down, or pull the plug!), slimserver refuses to start again. FreeNAS comes up OK, but slimserver status is reported as:

"SlimServer is not available. Please note that it might take a minute or more for the service to be available after a restart. Please refresh this page to check the status again."

Even after several reboots it wont come up. The only solution I've found is to reinstall the slimserver software by selecting the "SlimServer_v6.5.4.no-cpan-arch.tar.gz" option box over the "Keep existing - don't change" and clicking save.

Is this as expected?

Thanks,
    Chris

Running:
    SlimNAS Version v0.4
    SlimServer_v6.5.4.no-cpan-arch.tar.gz
    FreeNAS 0.685RC1

bump!

Still getting this, which is probably not unreasonable considering the harsh way slimserver is killed, but any way to avoid the need to enable slim each time?

Thanks,
    Chris

Oops, sorry for the silence. One more case where I forgot the mail->forum gateway was broken for this list...

Can you check whether the /conf/config.xml file is still there after the crash? Is there something SlimServer related in that file?

Michael
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - MusicArtistInfo, MusicInfoSCR, Smart Mix

Well I've changed my setup slightly. Have now installed FreeNAS on partition 0 of the local HD and saving config.xml to usb stick.

Same problem though!

Can confirm /conf/config.xml still exists after the power outage, and contains slimnas related commands as follows:

Code:
    <system>
      <shellcmd>/usr/local/bin/php -f /mnt/10GB_Disk/slimnas/usr/www/services_slimserver_init.php</shellcmd>
    </system>

<slimserver>
      <rootfolder>/mnt/10GB_Disk/slimnas</rootfolder>
      <enable/>
    </slimserver>
    It's quite repeatable

Chris

bump!

The above information any use to diagnose the problem?

I see that you're still using 6.5.4? Then you'll have to stick with the previous versions of SlimNAS, as well as previous versions of FreeNAS. 6.5 won't work with the latest SlimNAS.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I see that you're still using 6.5.4? Then you'll have to stick with the previous versions of SlimNAS, as well as previous versions of FreeNAS. 6.5 won't work with the latest SlimNAS.
    Yes, as described on your website

1. Set up FreeNAS on your box. There's good documentation available in different languages.
    2. Download SlimServer from the SlimDevices/Logitech web site in the "no-cpan-arch" flavour (eg. http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads...n-arch.tar.gz).
    3. Get the latest SlimNAS distribution.
    4. Get the SlimNAS installation script.
    What versions should I be using then please?

Thanks,
    Chris

I've uploaded a new build which should work with the newer FreeNAS builds. Just make sure you download the correct version slimnas.tgz for SS6.5
    Michael

Michael: any advice as to how to uninstall the old slimnas/squeezecenter so we can "start over afresh" with your new slimnas upload? What-all should we look for and delete from an old install?

here I am again!!!
    I just sorted out how to make slimnas working correctly after rebooting I am now experiencing this new issue!

I got a power outage and by then I wasn't able to make it start again!
    It's odd because the Extension menu is still there, but the squeezecenter won't start.....

Ok, I am just getting to much time to this nas, I'd better go out and grab a beer!

Anyway, much of the problems are probably due to the multiple release available on the nightly built directory.
    We should probably focus on a release and stick to it, what do you think?

Cheers, enjoy your we,
    David