Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Streaming Zune Market Place

I currently use Rhapsody to Go as my online music service and stream tracks through my squeezebox using Squeezenetwork. Everything works great but I am considering purchasing a Zune and switching to the Zune Market Place subscription service. I realize I cannot stream through Squeezenetwork this way but I am wondering if I could just place tracks on my hard drive and stream them that way. I am not talking about purchasing individual tracks through the Market Place but getting their unlimited monthly service similiar to Rhapsody to Go. I know Rhapsody allows you to place tracks on your hard drive for offline listening. Does anyone know if Zune Market Place does the same?

Anyone using the Zune Market Place in this way and if so are you happy with it?

No love for the Zune or Zune MarketPlace? No users out there?

IMO... stay away from anything Zune related.
    Michael Valera
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Corsair.com

I had a Zune for a while (just wanted to try one out) and as a player it's fine. Don't expect to get any of the store or subscription stuff to work with Squeezeboxes though...yet another incompatible DRM scheme.

So even if I use the all you can listen to subscription and place the tracks on my networked computer I will not be able to stream them through the squeezebox?

Quote Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post
    So even if I use the all you can listen to subscription and place the tracks on my networked computer I will not be able to stream them through the squeezebox?
    You won't be able to play them on anything other than Zune players, Xbox360 or the Windows Zune player.

Obviously they won't play on an iPod, but they also won't play on any "Plays for Sure" WMA player. Last I knew even Windows Media Player would not play Zune files...

Zune is the most wonderfully perfect example of the brokenness of DRM schemes, refusing to honor any prior purchased files, and refusing to work even with other products from the same company let alone others.

Brutal. Really a shame too as I like what I have seen of the Zune player especially with the drastic price reductions the older models are undergoing. Given the limited playability of the tunes though I assure you I will not be purchasing one.

Hi,

I received a Zune for Christmas last year and I like it fine for use in my car and travel. I don't use marketplace (although I have $50 to spend there), nor have I purchased any other online music yet. All my current music is ripped CDs to WMA lossless then just convert to 128k WMA for Zune so I can fit most of my music.

If I had my choice though, I would likely go with an iPod due to it's overall support pretty much everywhere on the planet.

Sometimes it is good to go mainstream. )

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post
    Brutal. Really a shame too as I like what I have seen of the Zune player especially with the drastic price reductions the older models are undergoing. Given the limited playability of the tunes though I assure you I will not be purchasing one.
    So buy the player but not the music. I have an iPod but have never (and likely will never) buy anything from iTunes.

As much as I would like to separate the player from the MarketPlace that doesn't seem possible. I am spending $15 a month already on Rhapsody to Go which I really like and use to stock my two sons MP3 players. I need my player to be compatible also.