Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Unhappy Roku convert...now very worried

Hi all, I'm brand new to squeezebox, and in fact ordered a SB3 yesterday and am eagerly awaiting it. I have a Roku R1000 radio which works great, but wanted something to connect to my stereo and was really impressed by the Squeezebox. However, after trying to use the web interface of the dedicated slim server, squeezenetwork, trying to understand what AlienBBC is, the fact that I may need it, and MPlayer and Java and a whole bunch of fiddling...i'm really having second thoughts about my decision.

My issue is that I play a lot of streaming radio stations that are specifically .asx feeds, and although not compatible with Itunes my Roku has no problem playing any stream (other than Real of course), nor does it require dedicated server software or additional plugins etc. Don't get me wrong, I've bought the SB3 on the basis that in so many ways it beats the Soundbridge 1000, but can someone please tell me the SB3 does play WMA streams, and just as importantly how the heck do I get them onto the SB3, because I have had no luck with getting them on the slimserver web interface.

Yours, very desperate and pathetic.

The SB3 plays mp3, ogg and wma streams fine (except for a few WMA streams that use oddball codecs like those optimized for voice) either with SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork.

(In theory, it can do WAV and FLAC streams but those are rare.)

What URL are you trying to use? What OS?

(If you are on, say, Linux or Mac, I'm not sure if SoftSqueeze will do WMA... since they usually don't have the codecs installed... but then, SoftSqueeze isnt quite the same as a real hardware player... close but not quite).

Smile

ah, I see...i am actually using an Intel based Mac, which would explain why the software player wasn't able to play the stream. Maybe what I should be doing is waiting for the hardware to arrive and then see what happens.

Would you know how I can set up the appropriate radio stations as playlists in SlimServer? I can put them in itunes (although itunes itself won't be able to play them), at which point SlimServer would recognise them as playlists, or should I use Squeezenetwork?

And, thankyou very much for the quick and informative reply.

Regards

Just another SB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanSchenk View Post
    Would you know how I can set up the appropriate radio stations as playlists in SlimServer? I can put them in itunes (although itunes itself won't be able to play them), at which point SlimServer would recognise them as playlists, or should I use Squeezenetwork?

And, thankyou very much for the quick and informative reply.

Regards
    In SlimServer, go to the My Music / Favorites section. Click "New Favorite". Give it a name and the URL. Hit save. Repeat until you've run out of stations. They are now browsable under favorites.

But if what you're doing is streaming internet radio, and you don't need/want to play local files, or use special plug-ins, then you can go to www.squeezenetwork.com, set up an account, and save your favorites there. You won't need to set up slimserver or even have a computer running to use your new Squeezebox. Just connect to SqueezeNetwork and you're all set.

-=> Jim
    "well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that." -- BKlaas' college buddy

I haven't dealt with wma streams myself, but try Flip4Mac, which is the current Mac program for dealing with Windows Media Player stuff.

AlienBBC lets you listen to the BBC (or other file-type restricted streams) abroad or use a listen again service (programs on demand). It is great and easy to use but does require your PC turned on.