Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where is my TS101?!

Yep I am another newbie trying to install Slimserver on his QNAP TS101.

I am following the instructions at http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_u...tall/ts101201/ as recommended by this forum.

I have installed the Telnet version of the firmware successfully and I have tested to see if i can Telnet into my QNAP. Which I can (but I have not changed anything, just logged in).

My problem is that I cannot find my TS101 on my PC.

I have looked in My Computer and My Network Places but nothing. The only way I can access it is through the web interface.

I didn't think this would be a problem but I can't work out how to unrar the Slimsever install download from the above link on to the TS101. I can upload the entire .rar on to it using the web interface but it goes crazy if I try and open this whilst in the TS101.

Can someone help me as I am at a loss? Is there a way to get the install package on to my TS101 through the web interface or have I missed something basic in finding the TS101 on my network?

I have my TS101 connected to my wireless router via the ethernet cable and then the router via ethernet to my PC (although I connect wirelessly to the internet usong the router).

Thanks,

Ian

Well I was hopeing that somebody who had actually done this would comment, but since nobody else has replied yet, I'll have a go as my answer might be better than nothing.

If you have trouble seeing your Qnap from your PC, then entering the IP address of you qnap into Network explorer will often do the trick. I'm afraid that I can't remember the exact procedure, but if nobody else is prompted to step in and explain it, then perhaps I'll boot up my old desktop, to try and work out exactly how I did it (as I had the same problem on my old desktop).

Once you can access your qnap in Network Explorer you apparently use a un-RAR utility to un-RAR the files onto your Qnaps hard drive. Sorry but I've never actually done that part.

Hope this reply is better than nothing.

Richard.

Richard,

Thanks for your reply. Over 100 views and no one else!
    Its a bit late for me tonight but I will try this tomorrow.

If anyone else can help further I will love you forever.

Hi Ian,

You didn't mention what operating system you were using on your pc so..........

If you're using Windows.....go into the Qnap web interface using Internet Explorer (http://IpAddressOfYourQNAP:6000) and click on the "Microsoft Networking" option under "Network Settings". Check that "Enable file service for Microsoft networking" is checked and try checking the "Enable WINS server" option if it's not already checked. If it IS checked try unchecking it. Each time you change a setting on that screen click "Apply" and then go back and see whether it's now visible. You may have to press the F5 button a few times in windows explorer etc. to get it to refresh.

If you're using a Mac then you're on your own cos I've never used one!! but there IS an option in the QNAP interface for "Apple Networking" and I assume you have to check the "Enable AppleTalk file service for Apple networking" option.

Plan B is to map a drive using Windows Explorer by specifying the IP address of the QNAP plus the share name so Tools|Map Network Drive, choose a letter and type \\IpAddressOfYourQNAP\Public into the folder name to map then click Finish. This will map the drive letter to the Public share.

Hope this helps.

ps. if it DOES help please don't love me forever ok? The wife will get very worried

I can't actually remember how I got mine connected to the desktop, been a while and I had to ask someone else....

These are the places where I can see it:

From My Computer > My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network.
    It shows up as 'Nas', clicking on that gives TS-101 NAS Server, and from there to the defined shares.

Also from My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive.
    Pick a Drive (S: ?), then Folder \\ip.address\public\

edit: no replies - then like buses, two come along at once
    LMS Version: 7.9
    TranquilPC T2-WHS-A3 - WHS 2011
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

You can change the appearance of the QNAP in Windows Explorer so that it becomes part of your workgroup with your other PCs instead of its own NAS group.
    Using the web interface from your PC (http://qnapIPaddress:6000) {:9000 is Slimserver, and whilst I am at it Firefox blocks access to the QNAP on this port so I have to use Internet Explorer} you can access the network settings of the QNAP and then change NAS to whatever your workgroup is called.
    I guess it probabaly helps to reserve an IP address for the QNAP if your router normally assigns these when requested; there is usually a facility for this.

I don't think I have ever been able to see my TS101 that way. Have you managed to map the drive? If you search through the forum you might find some helpful threads on mapping the drive, and using an IP address such 192.168.0.4/Public or similar.

Good luck.

Yes, I have mapped the music directory as drive Z: here, although I just did that through the standard Windows Explorer interface so I don't know if that helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by hermi View Post
    Yes, I have mapped the music directory as drive Z: here, although I just did that through the standard Windows Explorer interface so I don't know if that helps you.
    So you are saying you map it with windows explorer and then you can't see it as the Z drive in explorer? Are you sure you are mapping it correctly?

Yes, the QNAP folders just appear like standard network shares in Windows Explorer, so right click for map network drive.