Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sb2 vs sb3

sb2 vs sb3

I read the product comparison between the SB2 vs SB3. Seems like they are pretty much the same except the SB3 has a bigger,brigher display and two antennas. Other than those differences, both SB are practically the same.

Is this correct?

Also, I may buy a used SB2 but concern about the small display. The chair is about 11' away from the SB2. Is the display viewable from 11' away?

thanks,

sb2 vs sb3

> I read the product comparison between the SB2 vs SB3. Seems like they
    > are pretty much the same except the SB3 has a bigger,brigher display
    > and two antennas.

The display is identical, too. And due to some filtering it's even a very little _less_ bright than SB2.

Michael

If buying used, just be very careful to make sure it is an SB2, not an SB1 or SB1G. (The case for the three are the same: but SB2 has a much prettier display and far more capabilities.)

Quote Originally Posted by snarlydwarf View Post
    If buying used, just be very careful to make sure it is an SB2, not an SB1 or SB1G. (The case for the three are the same: but SB2 has a much prettier display and far more capabilities.)
    How can you absolutely verify that it is indeed an SB2?

[QUOTE=Michael The display is identical, too. And due to some filtering it's even a very little _less_ bright than SB2.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Must be the marketing pictures. The SB3 display pics seems a bit better on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by udaman View Post
    How can you absolutely verify that it is indeed an SB2?
    Ask the seller to take a photograph of the label on the underside of the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by udaman View Post
    Must be the marketing pictures. The SB3 display pics seems a bit better on the website.
    No, the SB3 display is definitely about a full step less bright than the SB2. As in, the brightest SB3 setting is about the same as the second-brightest SB2 setting. The VFD is the same, but the lens on the SB3 is both a different color and somewhat darker than its SB2 counterpart. In bright sunlight, this might be an issue. In any other lighting conditions, it's no big deal.

-Peter
    http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

mflint / peterw, thanks for the reply. Looks like the sb2 seems like a good buy. Hope it is still available.

I actually sold my SB3 to get a SB2 for my Super Squeezebox project. Another advantage of the SB2 is the form factor which allows easy transfer of the guts to a custom audio enclosure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by crooner; 2007-09-04 at 21:38.
    "Audio Preservationist"
    Specialized in Marantz Vacuum Tube Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by crooner View Post
    I actually sold my SB3 to get a SB2 for my Super Squeezebox project. Another advantage of the SB2 is the form factor which allows easy transfer of the guts into a custom audio enclosure.
    wow! I guess you improve the sound quality quite a bit.