Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    I do think anyone who see this thread and thinks "yeah!" needs therapy
    Yes, that's what I'm saying to myself every night when I go to sleep at unspeakable hours... (I should add that I do not use to be a total geek with no life...maybe until I got my SB)

I 100% support this request. I am still far from being happy about how i access my classical (and others) records.

Currently i use a group of taxonomies in the description tag and play with them to construct custom random (or fixed) lists with the Dynamic SQL Playlist plugin: 'Lute solo works', 'Glenn Gould solo', 'Flute XVIII solo', etc. But i need to code the sql for every list and the result is functionally somehow useful but far from definitive at all (the interface needs to be more record-oriented).
    For my Ethnics records, i have different needs, where 'Country', 'Religion' etc taxonomies are the important ones.

So, i add these requests to adam's ones

- Support for a 'taxonomies' tag, where you can freely define your own taxonomies and get (or easily configure) fixed/random lists in the way i've described. Or some system supporting this feature.
    - Hability to manage properly the booklets. Sometimes they are images, sometimes pdf files, and i need that information could be inspected while i enjoy the music
    - Of course, i remark the needing of a good visual interface. I tend to be minimalist so something like Fortune system with flexible configuration is ok.
    - Open enough to add new contents. Example: add a map of the world as a way to select countries.

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    And, of course, if anyone else wants to contribute cash, it might provide more of an incentive!
    Add 100$ more here for a serious working interface with Nokia 707 support.

Excuse me if some (or all) of this has been discussed somewhere, i can not read the forum oftem.

ps. If this software had java support, lots of more people could contribute with improvements, included myself

Regards
    Last edited by katabasis; 2007-08-14 at 03:38.

Robin Bowes

$100 for a better web-based browsing system?

katabasis wrote:
    >
    > ps. If this software had java support, lots of more people could
    > contribute with improvements, included myself

PPS. If you learned perl, you could contribute to this software and many
    other projects.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by katabasis View Post
    Add 100$ more here for a serious working interface with Nokia 707 support.

ps. If this software had java support, lots of more people could contribute with improvements, included myself
    Does the Nokia770 web browser support Java applets ?
    Do you know which Java version that is used ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

I am sorry to say no Erland , actually there is no jvm for N 770 and the few projects i've seen about this are died.
    Is there any project related to mapping requests between the perl module any java infraestructure, or any plan to port the perl api to java?

Quote Originally Posted by katabasis View Post
    Is there any project related to mapping requests between the perl module any java infraestructure, or any plan to port the perl api to java?
    This is getting off topic, so if you like to continue to discuss this, please start a thread in the Developers section of the forums.

Since this come up in this thread, I'm guessing that you are thinking of a Java based user interface that shows the data in SlimServer.

If this is the case the best way in SlimServer 6.5 I can think of is to use one of:
    1. Use the CLI interface, this is a telnet based interface, which can be called from Java since there is Java utility classes for sending and receiving information over telnet.
    2. Implement you own HTTP based XML protocol in Perl and talk to this from the Java code. Could be a web service based solution or JSON as mentioned below or something else.

In SlimServer 7.0 the CLI interface will also be available over HTTP using JSON. So this should hopefully make it a bit easer to use it from Java.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    This is getting off topic, so if you like to continue to discuss this, please start a thread in the Developers section of the forums.
    Sure, not my intention at all

Since this come up in this thread, I'm guessing that you are thinking of a Java based user interface that shows the data in SlimServer.
    No, i have no preferences at all if it works. My post scriptum was just a little comment
    If this is the case the best way in SlimServer 6.5 I can think of is to use one of:
    1. Use the CLI interface, this is a telnet based interface, which can be called from Java since there is Java utility classes for sending and receiving information over telnet.
    2. Implement you own HTTP based XML protocol in Perl and talk to this from the Java code. Could be a web service based solution or JSON as mentioned below or something else.

In SlimServer 7.0 the CLI interface will also be available over HTTP using JSON. So this should hopefully make it a bit easer to use it from Java.
    Thank you for your points, i┤ll unvestigate those options.

Regards