Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

I can't connect wirelessly. What now?

I'm on my second SB3 now and neither have connected to my network. This second one, however, is willing to connect to my friend's - thus suggesting it's not happy with my Thompson 580 router.

It's on firmware 81 and I've tried it with and without encryption. I've tried it via ethernet and got it to work, but it continued not to connect once the ethernet was disconnected.

Basically, I've worked through everything on
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...BeginnersGuide

What now?

Surely I don' have to buy a new router do I? That'd be ridiculous.

Does your Router have the most up to date firmware available for it? A few problems in the past have been solved by upgrading the firmware.

Also, from a brief Google, your router has an additional feature called Access Control (ACL) - essentially MAC address filtering. Is this set to "anyone can connect"?

Someone's got it working previously, so hopefully is just your current wireless set up:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=thompson+580

Slim Devices Veteran ChrisOwens's Avatar
    If updated firmware doesn't help, feel free to file a bug. We don't currently have any Thompsons in our router library, so I'd be happy to pick one up so we can try and reproduce your issue!
    Christopher Owens
    QA Manager
    chris_owens@logitech.com

I tried to upgrade the router's firmware but only got so far as an error message. I tried it several times but it was having none of it. There helpline was expensive so I didn't call. I'll email them and see what they say.

Also, it was set so it would specifically allow the MAC address of the SB3.

But didn't the other guy get an SB2 to work with the 580 and not an SB3? I may have misread it though, as I only skimmed it this time after reading it more thoroughly before.

If Thomson doesn't provide any workable advice, your getting a Thomson would be very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur111 View Post
    But didn't the other guy get an SB2 to work with the 580 and not an SB3? I may have misread it though, as I only skimmed it this time after reading it more thoroughly before.
    Shhh... the SB2 and SB3 are virtually identical. They even use the same firmware (which is where all the wireless code is). The only networking difference is antennas (one external on the SB2, where they are both internal on the SB3), but that shouldn't be the problem if it finds your friends wireless fine.

Longshot, but...

Is it possible that the MAC address you have for your SB3 is wrong? IMO you should try a wide-open network first, confirm it works, then add restrictions afterwards. For what it's worth, MAC filtering provides no security benefits--it's a feelgood feature only.

Also--did you test your friend's router at the same physical location or at the friend's house? It's possible you've got a wireless-unfriendly location for your router. Do other wireless devices work at your location?

I tried the network as wide open first and when that didn't work, I tried specifically allowing the SB3s MAC address. And of course it still didn't work.

It was at my my friends house that I tried it successfully. However, the internet in my house runs wirelessly just fine and several laptops have had no problems connecting.

I mentioned the differerence between SB2 and SB3 because I was confused. I previously - and briefly - had a SB1 and that connected just fine. I mentioned this to the Slimdevices help staff and they said the two connected in different ways.

I feel a little annoyed that due to lack of time to prat around trying to sort this out, I have a few hundred dollars just sitting in a box and gathering dust. It's not as plug and play as it suggests.
    Last edited by Wilbur111; 2007-08-24 at 07:09.