Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qnap TS-109/TS-109 Pro install with plugins, updates and lots of other nice bits

Hi,

I felt that I was hijacking Naskids thread a bit and I wouldn't want to detract from all of his hard work! ROFLOL

Anyway, for those of you who haven't read his thread here is the Progressive SlimServer install package for the Qnap TS-109/TS-109 Pro NAS drives - done correctly.

http://www.progressiveav.com/ts109install

Loads of info on there on what we have improved and fixed and pretty much all playback formats are supported.

I am sure everybody will make up their own minds on which version is best (hint - it's ours )

Quote Originally Posted by ultra238a View Post
    Hi,

I am sure everybody will make up their own minds on which version is best (hint - it's ours )
    Have now had time to set up my Qnap TS-109Pro with Progressive's Self Install SS.
    Brilliant installation, I have had all 3 of my SB's on for last hour (1 on AllienBBC) and has run like clockwork. My prevoius TS-101 would have stuttered a few times by now with all 3 SB's on.

EXPERIENCES TO PASS ON.

1. I brought my TS-109 Pro with a Seagate ES 750GB HDD from qnap.co.uk last week who were at that time the only UK distributor offering SS pre-installed. I had a 100% delevery service with the unit arriving within 22 hrs of placing the order, but:-
    a. It was delived with SS installed, but OLD Firmware which I was instructed to update over the already installed SS.
    b. Could not get SS to correctly work once I had copied my music across, it was OK to set up with Zero files
    b. The HHD light was constantly ON even with no disc activity, even after I re-initiatialised the HDD (yes, removed the qnap.co.uk SS)

2. I am now running as per my below signature, with the HDD light still constantly on.
    a. The demo unit at Ultimate Storage (qnap.co.uk) also has same issue.
    b. Qnap in Tiawan are looking at, think it may be a simple firmware issue.

3. When I was setting up the Qnap & SB's via the web interface I was expecting the response times to be slightly faster as you do when you have a new "go faster" toy. Then I found a new TURBO button. Under "Server Settings" - "Performance" set "Webserver Forking" to "Enable" & you should notice a good improvement.

4. I am very impressed with Progressive's self install package, Well Done Paul. But I note that that when we upgrade firmware that we have to remove SS 1st...uhh....uhhh...all those settings that I have just spent hours tweaking get lost.
    Paul - Are you able to offer us an option to save/reinstall our SS settings when we upgrade firmware?
    Esp as I may well be a 1st user that Qnap will offer a firmware upgrade to solve my HDD light problem!!!!

5. For obvious reasons I am unable to tell if my Qnap can "go to sleep" in case any one (i.e. Jerry) asks.

So as a conclusion, having has a Qnap TS-101 since Feb 2006, & now upgraded to the TS-109 last weekend I would 101% recommend that any other user thinking about a simular upgrade, or even a new user, that they should upgrade.
    If you had asked me the same question BEFORE 13:06 last Satureday I would have advised you all against using SS on a Qnap TS-109.
    What's the significance of the above time/date - well, it was the posting on this forum from Paul @ Progressive saying he was back & supporting the TS-109. WITHOUT THIS SUPPORT I WOULD HAVE RETURNED MY QNAP.
    QNAP TS-239 (v 3.7.3 build 0801T). Seagate Barracuda ES 1000GB x 2.
    SSOTS 4.14 SC 7.7.2-33893
    2 x SB3, 1 x SB2, 1 x SB Controller, SB Radio & iPad/iPhone/iTouch with iPeng/Spotify
    QNAP TS-109 Pro (v 3.3.2 build 0918T & a QNAP TS-101 (v 2.5.0 build 1210T) for secondary backup.
    Panasonic BL-C210 & Bl-C160 Cameras. Apple Airport Express.
    iTunes Playlist Library. Netgear N600 Router

Simon,

Thanks for the review. After mulling over this for a couple of weeks now, I think that I will finally be ordering a TS-109 when I get back from my holiday.

As a quantitative guide to relative performance, how long does the TS-109 take to scan your music collection compared to your TS-101?

Regards -- Rich

Simon,

Many thanks for the very positive comments you have made about our install package. I have always tried to make sure it is the best it can be and with Keiths help I think we manage that quite well.

We are currently working on a number of upgrades to our package including being able to backup your SlimServer settings as well as getting access to the SlimServer log files so you can see what it is doing if and when it falls over.

Any other request though you should get in now before I loose interest again only kidding.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rpjcheney View Post
    Simon,

Thanks for the review. After mulling over this for a couple of weeks now, I think that I will finally be ordering a TS-109 when I get back from my holiday.

As a quantitative guide to relative performance, how long does the TS-109 take to scan your music collection compared to your TS-101?

Regards -- Rich
    Rich.
    As I have over 6,000 tracks I set SS to auto scan every day @ 4am when I am in the land of nod, so i cannot answer this one
    QNAP TS-239 (v 3.7.3 build 0801T). Seagate Barracuda ES 1000GB x 2.
    SSOTS 4.14 SC 7.7.2-33893
    2 x SB3, 1 x SB2, 1 x SB Controller, SB Radio & iPad/iPhone/iTouch with iPeng/Spotify
    QNAP TS-109 Pro (v 3.3.2 build 0918T & a QNAP TS-101 (v 2.5.0 build 1210T) for secondary backup.
    Panasonic BL-C210 & Bl-C160 Cameras. Apple Airport Express.
    iTunes Playlist Library. Netgear N600 Router

Quote Originally Posted by ultra238a View Post
    Simon,

Many thanks for the very positive comments you have made about our install package. I have always tried to make sure it is the best it can be and with Keiths help I think we manage that quite well.

We are currently working on a number of upgrades to our package including being able to backup your SlimServer settings as well as getting access to the SlimServer log files so you can see what it is doing if and when it falls over.

Any other request though you should get in now before I loose interest again only kidding.
    Paul

for us non techs, Will you be selling ts109pros with slimserver pre installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryacg View Post
    Paul

for us non techs, Will you be selling ts109pros with slimserver pre installed?
    Hi Jerry,

We will be at some point soon. Jon at Ripcaster has them in stock now and I believe that qnap.co.uk are possibly going to be using our install pacakge soon as well.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to upgrade my TS109 Qnap SS to the progressive SS, and is there any point? (plugins work on the progressive one I believe?)

Do I need to uninstall the existing SS (if so how?), then upgrade firmware and install progressive SS as per the instructions on the website?

Any help much appreciated!

If you want:

* Chroot music directory now pointed at the Qmultimedia share, rather than Public/music
    * New directory added Public/plugins - allows user (administrator) to install plugins directly, rather than needing an update package.
    * Now supports AAC+ streams
    * Mplayer updated
    * ALAC decoder updated
    * Lame updated
    * Mysql updated
    * Complete (minimal) Debian system at your disposal. Technical users should find it easy to install a selection of the ~16000 software packages available via "apt-get". Installing additional software comes with no support. You break it, you fix it.

and.....

* AlienBBC
    * LastFM
    * Lazy search
    * Playlist manager
    * Slimscrobbler
    * Weather time

As standard, amongst other things that aren't as obvious on the surface then I would say upgrade.

You'll have to un-install your Qnap Slimserver version first and then install ours.

Files available from http://www.progressiveav.com/ts109install

Thanks for the reply Paul.

Anyone any idea how I go about uninstalling the QNAP SS?