Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Slimserver failed to run (nslu2)

Hello,
    I've installed slimserver on Ó NSLU2 device with SlugOS/BE as Firmware (Linux big endian, see http://www.nslu2-linux.org ). Optware is installed.
    Slimserver was added exactly as described on
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer
    (same order).
    Here what hapens:

root@slimserver:~# slimserver start
    Starting SlimServerSlimserver failed to run. Return value: 0.
    root@slimserver:~#

root@slimserver:/home/slimserver# cat slimserver.log
    The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck
    To download and compile them, please run: /opt/share/ss65/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck
    Exiting..
    The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck
    To download and compile them, please run: /opt/share/ss65/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck
    Exiting..
    root@slimserver:/home/slimserver#

Please note that mysql etc where installed on step 3.

Of corse, build-perl-modules.pl does not work...:
    root@slimserver:/home/slimserver# /opt/share/ss65/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck
    Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /opt/share/ss65/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl line 75.
    Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/share/ss65/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl line 80.
    Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.
    These packages are needed for SlimServer to function.
    You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.
    You will need development libraries for MySQL. eg: libmysqlclient
    You will need development libraries for expat. eg: libexpat1-dev
    *** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***
    Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
    Couldn't find a perl binary. Exiting.
    This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with --> root@slimserver:/home/slimserver#

Note that there are two perls:
    /usr/bin/perl and /opt/bin/perl
    propably, the second one should be used for slimserver, see step 6)
    Note also, that the script does not stop to chante the default /usr/bin/perl to /opt/bin/perl,
    but even if /usr/bin/perl points to /opt/bin/perl5.8.8, it fails...
    And of corse, the devolopper package is installed...

Anyone who can help me?

Thanks for your valuable time! - Fabio

The ipkg was built for an FSG3 and not an NSLU2 and the version noted was only a test version for some FSg3 users. An NSLU2 user found the ipkg and has documented how they forced it to work on an NSLU2.

I don't have an NSLU2 but I can give some general help.

The ipkg when installed and with all the necessary other modules installed will run - there is no need for any mysql development or running the build-perl-modules.

Your problems start with missing/incorrect modules and possibly incomplete NSLU2 instructions (e.g. I can't see the point in steps 2 & 4).

What version of mysql did you install ? the ipkg was built for use with mysql 4.0.x.

The fact that a number of perl modules are missing make me believe that the PATH has not been set.

You should also look at this thread
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35539

The path is
    echo $PATH
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/libexec:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:
    and the mysql
    mysql --help
    mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.18, for unknown-linux-gnu (armeb) using EditLine wrapper

Could this work? - Fabio

I'm not sure about SlugOS but if you have two separate install of perl this could be causing problems. Check that the two directories aren't linked.

Path looks OK as per instructions - I'm not sure about mysql 4.1.x being compatible with 4.0.x but that can wait as the problem is Perl not finding the modules.

Try the following logged in as root and /opt/share/ss65 as the current directory. This command will give more details on startup.
    ./slimserver.pl --user slimserver --prefsfile /home/slimserver/slimserver.pref --cachedir /home/slimserver --d_server --d_scan --d_startup

If I understand the message, the problem seems to be in mysql. The full log is attached.

Loaded module: [Time::HiRes] ok!
    Module [DBD::mysql] failed to load: [Can't locate loadable object for module DBI in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8/armeb-linux /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8/armeb-linux/auto /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armeb-linux /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armeb-linux/auto /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8/armeb-linux /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8/armeb-linux/auto /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/armeb-linux /opt/share/ss65/lib /opt/share/ss65/CPAN /opt/share/ss65 /opt/share/ss65 /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/armv5b-linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/DBI.pm line 255
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/DBI.pm line 255.
    Compilation failed in require at /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/DBD/mysql.pm line 7.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/DBD/mysql.pm line 7.
    Compilation failed in require at (eval 6) line 2.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 6) line 2.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not just mysql - near the end of your log file there is the following line

The following are the full paths for the missing files. Do you have these files ?

/opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/DBI/DBI.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/XML/Parser/Expat/Expat.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/Time/HiRes/HiRes.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/YAML/Syck/Syck.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/Digest/SHA1/SHA1.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/Compress/Zlib/Zlib.so
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armv5b-softfloat-linux/auto/Template/Stash/XS/XS.so

According to your log, your version of perl is looking in the following directory tree.
    /opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/armeb-linux/auto. I think this is the problem.

The key differences is part of path name"armeb-linux" on your system and "armv5b-softfloat-linux" on FSG3. These are part of Perl build - so easiest way might be to copy all the file & directories from the armv5b-softfloat-linux branch into the armeb-linux.

Genius! I'm impressed!
    The following commands did the job:

root@slimserver:/opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8# mkdir armeb-linux
    root@slimserver:/opt/share/ss65/CPAN/arch/5.8.8# cp -a armv5b-softfloat-linux/* armeb-linux/

Now, slimserver starts!

A real very big thank you!
    Fabio

Glad it works - it should help others.

It brings back some bad memories - IIRC eventually I found that "archname" is different when cross compiling compared to native-compiling. This makes no difference to all compiled programs but here I built slimserver support modules on a PC where the Perl archname is one value but running on the NAS where the Perl archname has a different value.