Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qnap Ts 101

Qnap Ts 101

I'm trying to set up my QNAP TS 101. I have it connected to my PC via the supplied cable. When I run the QNAP Quick Install Wizard it cannot see the QNAP.

I have a blue power light, orange LAN light and a green status light.

The error message says "Cannot detect any servers on the local network. Please check 1. The server is connected to the local network and is turned on 2. The computer is connected to the local network. 3. If you have Windows XP SP2 or anti-virus......make sure the firewall allows Qucik Install Wizard access to the network"

I have never set up any sort of LAN before so I assume I am missing something very basic.

All I have done is plug the QNAP in to the power, connected it to the back of my PC, turned the QNAP on and then run the QNAP Quick Install Wizard as per the supplied instructions. The connection points in the back of my PC and on the back of the QNAP are both lit up orange so I guess this means it recognises something....

Can anyone help?!

Thanks,

Ian

Not quite that simple

The cable supplied is almost certainly a standard ethernet cable.

Therefore, you've got two choices:

1) If you have a router with ethernet ports in it, or an ethernet hub or switch, then plug the cable into the TS-101 and the other end into the router/hub/switch. Then connect your PC so that router/hub/switch and as long as there is some kind of DHCP server on your network then you should be OK.

2) If you get a twisted ethernet cable from a PC shop, then you can plug that into both the PC and the TS-101, but then you're going to have to run a DHCP server on your PC which is not that simple for a novice.

Thanks for your reply. I have a cable modem that is connected to my PC via USB. It has one ethernet connection in it but when I connect the QNAP to it it still doesnt work. My mate has a wireless router so I think I am right in saying I can connect my cable modem to the router via the ethernet connection and then the QNAP to the router via its ethernet connection?

Would it be best to hardwire the router into the PC as well (otherwise I assume I will be working wirelessly with the QNAP)?

Thanks

ps I had a quick look at how to set up a DHCP server... I think you were right, it certainly isn't for novices!

Update.... I ve managed to get the Quick Install Wizard for the TS 101 to recognise the QNAP is there by plugging the QNAP into my cable modems ethernet connection.

The wizard now says the QNAP is already configured. However I cannot see the QNAP myself on my PC. I have tried using the run command both with the servers name and then again with the IP address that the wizard has given me. I get this error message."The network path was not found". Nothing shows up in My Computer and if I enter the default user name and password into the Map Drive option in the wizard I get a message to say "Network failure. The server is not found on the network. Please check the server status"

Also if I double click on the QNAP in the Wizard it just says the server has timed out as it is taking too long to respond.

Is it a problem with my cable modem as this is connected to my PC via USB or something else?

It sounds like you're not quite doing things right. If you could tell us the make and model of your cable modem then we can take a look at the specs and get things up and running. Hopefully.

If your mates wireless router is an ADSL router then you can't simply start plugging things into each other and expect them to work. Life is never that simple

Cable modem NTL 250 model number E08C007
    Hope that makes sense!

Thanks but I couldn't find a manual using google so I'm none the wiser. Given it only has one ethernet port I'll assume it does not have any routing capabilities so you won't get very far with it on its own.

Your mate with his wireless router, is he on cable broadband too or ADSL (eg. BT, Sky etc)? If cable then you're in luck, you connect it as is. If ADSL then it's a bit more tricky and without having a manual for your cable modem we're going to struggle to help you configure it.

Quote Originally Posted by 449514 View Post
    Hope that makes sense!
    So are you on NTL Broadband then like me?

Life would be a lot simpler if you had a cable router. It would have DHCP built in, and most come with a network switch, which would allow you to have your Computer, your Qnap and your Internet connection all working together. Last time I checked they cost around about ú50.

If you don't want to get a router then it should be possible to get your PC to communicate with your Qnap using a crossover cable. The difficulty would be in setting IP addresses. It would be possible to talk you through setting an IP address on your computer. However setting and address for your Qnap would be a problem, as you need to be able to communicate with it in the first place to set up a IP address.

If on the other hand you can find somebody with a internet router you can temporarily connect it to, then it should be possible to log into it and set a static IP address, which would then make it possible to communicate with it directly from your computer, using a crossover cable.

Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by 449514 View Post
    Hope that makes sense!
    Oh and another problem. If you set an IP address on your PC, to communicate with your Qnap, then you would have to make sure you don't mess up the IP setting used by your PC to access the internet.

Life would really be a lot easier if you got a router. Maplins would probably be an easy place to look for one. Although you might be able to find something cheaper if you hunt around.

Richard.

Thanks for your replies Richard.

I'm moving house soon so I will be moving on to "normal" broadband with Sky. They will be providing me with a router at that stage.

In the meantime are you saying that plugging the QNAP directly into my mates Router and then the router into my PC (ignoring any internet connection as I can continue to use my cable modem plugged into my USB port) would provide a link to the QNAP so I can set it up from there?

I just want to get it up and running with my music on it and Slimserver so I can listen to my music on my SB3 before I move without having to use my PC.