Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

NSLU2 traffic monitor

After a recent scare of almost losing my music collection I decide to get an NSLU2 to act as my backup host for my SlimServer box (Solaris 10) and for my general purpose XP box. I installed Unslung 6.8 and have everything working perfectly.

I decided that I would also host some backups for my parents using the Slug's FTP server and Syncback as the backup client. I performed a backup for them and later that evening I noticed I had a lot of traffic from the internet to the slug. Checking the timestamp of the files it didn't appear to be my parent's PC. I disabled the ftp server and the traffic stopped, but I don't know where it was coming from, and that concerns me greatly.

IS there a utility for the Slug to monitor traffic?

utils

If you've got ipkg up and working, I use nload to get a sense of how much traffic is coming in and out of the slug and for extra credit you can install tethereal on the slug to see the actual packets. It includes a copious man page but i'm guessing you could just tethereal -w file.out and then open that file.out in ethereal on your xp machine to get a good GUI for filtering the packets.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific00 View Post
    If you've got ipkg up and working, I use nload to get a sense of how much traffic is coming in and out of the slug and for extra credit you can install tethereal on the slug to see the actual packets. It includes a copious man page but i'm guessing you could just tethereal -w file.out and then open that file.out in ethereal on your xp machine to get a good GUI for filtering the packets.
    Perfect. For some reason searching for packages has been difficult for me at best. If tethereal has an output anything like snoop in Solaris I'll have no problem. All I really want to see is the source and destination of the packets.

Thanks!